THE VINTAGE YEARS – Part 1

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Jock Og, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,053
    DYNASTY got its pilot two part episode ‘Oil’ aired, which proved really popular. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Earl Hamner’s pilot of the wine making show, about an extended family (some of whom were rich, the others not so) living in the Napa and Sonoma Valley. THE VINTAGE YEARS eventually saw the light of day on AOL’s internet channel, in the noughties.

I can see why ‘The Powers That Be’ felt it necessary to mould TVY into FALCON CREST. Below is the first ten minutes or so, of the wine centred pilot:

Maggie (as played by Samantha Eggar), Vicki and Chase (as played by Clu Gulager) are in bother, with their vineyard. Maggie and Chase have a bit of a domestic, as their daughter Vicki looks on, (a scene from ‘The Vintage Years’, 1981):

Chase: “Happen we could plough it back into the vineyard and have next years crop shot out from under us, like this one live!”

Maggie: “I could be more helpful, if I knew what was happening.”

Chase: “What do you want me to say, Maggie?”

Maggie: “Are we staying here or are we moving? I need a decision!”

Chase: “Maggie just once in your life will you stop being so practical!”

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +389
    The pilot was so seventies looking wasn't it and with some tweaks I think it could have worked, as a start to the show. I am not sure if the different Maggie and Chase would have lasted, in the long term. Angela is older looking and as bad as she was in FC, if not worse.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +416
    Samantha Eggar always seemed to be like a working class Joan Collins, in the way she said her lines and while not as camp there was something about her general demeanour.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +351
    I'm so glad TVY was "modernised" to become FC.

• Agree Agree x 1