1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

The "Two Daddies" Cliffhanger

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Angela Channing, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,102
    Medals:
    In the season 7 cliffhanger, Maggie tells the boys a story about two daddies who are Richard and Chase. The idea was to create some mystery leading into the following scene in which a unknown character appears to Angela and she asks him when is he's going to let Maggie know he's still alive.

[​IMG]

When you first watched this season finale, who did you think was the mystery figure? I thought it was quite obvious that it was Richard because I wasn't convinced by the earlier scene in which Eric shot him. However, it would have been way more exciting from a plot point of view had it been Chase or even better had they both come for the following season.

• Like Like x 4
  2. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Medals:
    I thought Chase at the time It happened.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I never doubted it to be Richard. Chase's return would have made no sense. Why would it be so important to inform Maggie if Chase had been alive? Their marriage was over long before he died. That scene created no suspense for me.

"I'll be back" was the most dramatic scene and my choice for last scene - with Melissa despised even by Frank and Lance, left by everyone and looking very lonely.

4. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Medals:
    I was hoping it was Chase, back from those murky waters of the SF bay.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,860
    Medals:
    And why should Angela of all people know that he's still alive? Why would he contact her?
    But it was possible.
    I'm not sure if there was a story for Chase...maybe a spectacular comeback in season 9. But not him and Maggie back together again, I just wouldn't buy it.
    The assassination of Richard Channing was beautifully tragic, it was something we hadn't seen before (although it was kind of similar to Ben Gibson's sacrifice).

It's a difficult choice so I'm glad I didn't have to choose.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Medals:
    Apart from Richard's apparent funeral there was still something in the back of mind that it was him who Angela spoke to in the chapel. The 13 were pumped up as this big threat so a charade of Richard being killed off so that he could have a hand in destroying them was plausible, in the authorities opinion. Maggie's story was touching. Overall the ending for the 1987 to 1988 season was a tease like no other.

Angela is lighting candles, in a chapel. She speaks to a bearded man. Prior to Angela's chapel meeting Maggie told the bedtime story to her sons, about the two daddies. Angela speaks to the bearded man, (a scene from season 7, 1987 - '88):

"Haven't you waited long enough? When you are going to tell Maggie you're still alive?"

The frame freezes on Angela, fade to black and the closing theme commences with the credits.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,860
    Medals:
    That scene looked too dignified, too much "poor Angela". She should have tried to strangle Melissa, like Blake did to Alexis.
    As a game changer it didn't look vicious and venomous enough - and I don't think anyone believed that Angela really lost Falcon Crest.
    Of all the things that needed to be underplayed, this wasn't the one (imho).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Medals:
    I was glad the man in the church wasn't Chase given his horrible season six.

9. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Maybe it should have been someone else...like Jeff Wainwright. Maggie´s jaw would have dropped for sure...