1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The Titans" and more Greek mythology references

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by Ked, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,247
    A long time ago, somebody suggested that "The Titans" should have been the title of the show instead of "The Colbys", especially since that was the title for their introductory episodes on Dynasty. Since then, I've been a full supporter of that. And recently, I suggested on the Dynasty forum that Blake and Krystle should have been more modeled after Hades and Persephone.

After that, I started wondering, should there have been more Greek myth references on the show? Immediately I thought up stuff for The Colbys, especially since the Colby patriarch, Jason, shares the name with a Greek hero... whose own story actually mirrors Jason Colby's quite a bit:

Just as Jason rather randomly left his wife of 26 years for her own sister, the Jason of Greek myth left his own wife, Medea, for another princess... except Medea was a sorceress who had given up everything for him, made his successes possible, saved his life multiple times, even chopped her own brother to pieces for him. After all that, Jason claimed he owed her nothing, owing only the gods. She disagreed and so did the Olympians (especially since this also meant Jason broke an oath sworn by their names).

Thus, Jason lost his family, any kingdom he might have had, and spent the remaining years of his life a lonely wandering beggar... until, falling asleep under the rotting timber of the Argo, reflecting on past glories, a piece falls off and kills him. Talk about Greek tragedy.

Imagine something similar to that being the outcome for Jason Colby: losing all his money, losing all his family, and dying in some ignoble manner. Kinda harsh, I know, but still. Fun to think about.

Other references to the Greek mythology:

-Rename Francesca as "Helen" after Helen of Troy. The woman's beauty sparked a freakin' war, which could reflect the wars that happened in the Colby household. Plus, I read that in "The Odyssey", Helen regretted her part in the Trojan War, calling herself a "selfish whore." I know lot's of people like to describe Frankie this way. ;)

-Rename Constance as "Phoebe", who was one of the actual Titans. Not much is known about her, although she is thought to be a moon goddess (one who predated Selene). And what's one of the things associated with the moon? Lunacy. Something that Sable tried to get Constance accused of.

-Also, since I already said I'd make Blake and Krystle like Hades and Persephone, I started to wonder if Jason and Sable should be like Zeus and Hera? Which is turn made me wonder, who should be Poseidon? That answer came pretty easy: Zach Powers could be associated with the god of the ocean, since he's associated with yachts and resents Jason so much (contrary to Disney's version, it was Poseidon who was jealous and resentful of Zeus, not Hades).

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,078
    Wait, wait, wait. Why bring all these other Greek mythology references and not the obvious Oedipal one between Miles and Sable? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,247
    I was hoping other people would get in on this and start suggesting other Greek myths. :D How would you do it? ...Or were you just joking? :lol:

4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,078
    I think the show did a pretty good job portraying it. What was missing was someone calling Sable out on it. Connie would have been an ideal candidate, with a line like "I guess for some women losing the father means they can now satisfy their cravings with the son."

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,559
    Didn't Zach refer to the greek myth "Jason" at some point? I just can't remember when and why.

6. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,247
    Just imagine the look of pure enrage-ment on Sable's face! :D Heck, that could have even been a precursor to a catfight! :lol: Or at least a couple of b*tchslaps before Jason breaks them up.

Huh. Maybe. I'm not sure. I wouldn't put it past him.

Oh, and wasn't Zach himself supposed to be Greek?

7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,247
    Oh! Or maybe instead of Constance, it could be Dominique (who should have become a regular in Season 2), and THAT is when we get the Sable/Dominique catfight we should have gotten!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,559
    Indeed.

9. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 10 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    Frankie could be Medea, who in mythology did terrible things to be with the Greek hero. Medea killed her brother and tricked a daughter into killing her father, who was a king. Frankie could end up doing some terrible things in her affair with Jason Colby(besides betraying Sable).
    Jason could get caught up in some of her misdeeds and earn the scorn of his family. I believe in mythology Jason ended his life in disgrace because of his involvement in Medea's machinations.
    Maybe it could be revealed that her being in or out of Jeff's life all revolved around if it would help her get Jason, and not any maternal feelings. There could be a scene where she has to make a choice for either Jeff or Jason, and she chooses Jason. The scenario is such that it hurts and humiliates Jeff in such a way even Jason is horrified.
    @Michael Torrance brought up Oesipus. Very good idea. Back in the 1970's, when I was much, much younger:) The Avengers Marvel comic did a riff on the Oedipus story where the robot Ultron creates a bride using the brain patterns of his creator's wife. He names this robot Jocasta, after Oedipus' wife/mother. If a comic book can pull off using an incestuous Greek myth, The Colbys sure could have.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,247
    Here's another idea I've had for a while but kept forgetting to talk about it:

Who should Dominique reference? For now, I'd like to suggest Nyx, the goddess of the night. Granted, there's not much known about Nyx, but there is one important detail about her that could certainly be implemented to Dominique: Nyx was so powerful that even *Zeus* was afraid of her.

What if Dominique became so powerful and so dreaded and so notorious that even the almighty Jason Colby was afraid to do dealings with her?

Also, Nyx was the mother of various gods and goddesses who all represented: brightness, day, doom, destiny, destruction, death, sleep, dreams, blame, pain, distress, The Fates, indignation, retribution, deceit, friendship, old age and strife. Imagine taking most (if not all) of these elements and applying them to any storyline for Dominique.

• Creative Creative x 1