Peyton Place The theatrical introduction of Adrienne van Leyden

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Willie Oleson, May 5, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,832
    Medals:
    Well! What have we here?
    upload_2017-5-5_0-55-19.png
    I hope she likes the flowers because the Peyton mansion looks like a jungle now - and somehow I get the feeling that's exactly where she belongs.

Everybody knows about the new will and everybody acts shocked and displeased, but that doesn't stop Rodney from kissing Betty, or Steven from behaving like the cold and jealous half-brother.
    Steven to Rodney: "You'll never get her back!", and I think it showed the essence of his marriage. The beautiful wife, the trophy, the one thing that Rodney doesn't have (anymore).
    And Betty, I think she's just desperate to make their marriage work.
    It's almost like a Greek tragedy, no matter how hard they fight the mighty Peyton, they walk into the trap with their eyes wide open.

It's so much fun watching the Cords trying to figure out what Peyton's plans are. They even plan to have him declared incompetent, because of that outrageous will, of course.
    upload_2017-5-5_1-23-23.png
    I'm not sure if it's going to be as fabulous as what happened on The Colbys, but at least Steven (Colby) is far more honest about it than Sable (Colby).
    "I want my share. Not because I need it, because I want it".

Rachel's storyline has come to an end, and that means there's no further link with Allison.
    upload_2017-5-5_1-30-19.png
    Chandler's still in jail (there's always somebody in jail) but that story seems to focus on his past, and the connection with Leslie Harrington in particular.

I've read in the YouTube comments that Leigh Taylor-Young had a 2 year contract and that she wanted to leave the show earlier because she was pregnant, and thus making her departure somewhat improvisatory.
    But honestly, what more could they have done with her?
    I don't know if it was intentional or not, but I really liked how they ended both the Rachel and Allison story by combining these two characters into one.
    upload_2017-5-5_1-39-27.png
    "Why do you love Betty?"

• Like Like x 3
  2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,371
    Medals:
    OMG, it's Gena Rowlands. Gena Rowlands!

Funnily enough, I did think that Jeremy Wendell's wife might be Gena Rowlands, but then this was really Gena Rowlands!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,832
    Medals:
    According to YouTube I just watched the season 3 finale episode. There are many things going on, but this episode wasn't more exciting or cliffhanger-ish than the others.
    And they had already shown the new opening credits (because of the new haircuts).
    upload_2017-5-6_1-37-53.png

The battle between Peyton and the Cords is still going on, Betty's kinda sick of it but Steven will never give up the fight. He's been fighting for his position and acknowledgment his whole life, and he probably wouldn't even recognize a victory. Hannah Cord may not be his biological mother, but he certainly has inherited her determined personality. Or is it Catherine's "will of iron"?

Wilfrid Hyde-White takes over the role of Martin Peyton, I guess I'm supposed to be shocked by this recast, but I really like him. He reminds me of Francis Urquhart (House Of Cards) and for whatever reason he makes Ryan O'Neal act a little giggly. Must be the strong British accent.

To cover up his scheme to destroy the Cord's marriage, he announces his plan to marry Milady De Winter himself. Oh it's all so insane!
    upload_2017-5-6_2-17-0.png

But the most intriguing relationship is that of Martin Peyton and his chauffeur, Lee Webber, the presumed killer of his granddaughter.
    At this point I don't know if Peyton is going to make him pay for his crime and I also don't know if it's still relevant. After all, isn't Peyton twisted enough to make him his henchman?
    Lee takes his job extremely seriously and I absolutely love this character's transformation.

Rita thinks she's going to have a quiet day at the beach, but first she witnesses Steven's extramarital encounter with Adrienne, and after that she meets her father for the first time in her life.
    upload_2017-5-6_2-22-16.png
    Surely this picture needs no further emphasis.

Eddie Jacks is the link between Harrington and Chandler, and I wonder how much Ada Jacks knows about....something.
    This Eddie is an extrovert, jovial type. The way he talks (or should I say, the way he never stops talking) is somewhat similar to the characters of Number 96.

Peyton Place on location:
    upload_2017-5-6_2-25-43.png

And this, just an example of PP's lush camera technique:
    upload_2017-5-6_2-45-26.png

• Like Like x 2
  4. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,371
    Medals:
    Yes, I remember being struck by that too. I ... no, I won't/can't/mustn't say anything else.

5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,832
    Medals:
    Oooh...does that mean...no no no, I really should't ask.

Btw, some parts of the score remind me of this song:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,832
    Medals:
    Not many happy endings for the visitors of Peyton Place: they leave town broken, insane or dead.

Peyton and Adrienne's scheme proves to be more complicated than I had anticipated.
    The simple part is that it worked: Betty has filed for divorce and it doesn't take long before she and Rodney start to hang out again.
    upload_2017-5-9_19-44-12.png
    America Perfect: white fences, beautiful nature, pretty young people and a very, very big car.

Petyon makes financial arrangements with Adrienne regarding their marriage. His accountant tells him he's making a big mistake, but then Peyton confides in him that there isn't going to be a wedding. "Mrs. van Leyden will never become Mrs. Peyton".
    At that point it made sense since I figured he wanted to keep Adrienne around until the Cord's divorce was final.
    But later he decides to marry Adrienne regardless, and he taunts her that it's going to be a marriage from hell, as a way to punish her for what she had done to her late husband, Phillip van Leyden.
    Unlike Michael Rossi, he had not displayed any kind of hatred towards her when he brought her to Peyton Place. She was merely a pawn that he was going to use.
    The fact that he both paid (or promised to pay) and blackmailed Adrienne makes her motives somewhat confusing.

Personally I think that Adrienne's part in the destruction of the brilliant scientist was a little exaggerated. She didn't force him to marry her or to stop doing his research.
    To me it seemed he was a horny old man who married a stunner - to hell with science, let's party!
    She may have been the cause of his downfall (and death) but I don't think she was solely responsible.
    upload_2017-5-9_20-30-39.png
    But then again, I always seem to root for the hookers.

But since Peyton is always plotting ahead, I got the idea that there was more going on - more than steering Betty away from Steven, more than his obligation to revenge Phillip van Leyden's death (who, as added later into the story, had managed to extend Martin Peyton's life).
    So, when he told Lee about his plans for Adrienne, and the fear that she might do something to get rid of him, I thought I had catched the third angle:
    manipulate the slavish and fiercely protective Lee Webber to kill Adrienne, and then have him arrested and convicted of murder. Kill two birds with one stone, as it were.
    But wouldn't that be outrageously cruel?
    The thing that I like about Peyton is that, no matter how evil he is, his victims always have a choice - but he knows how to work on people's fears, desires and other weaknesses. That's what makes the manipulator manipulative. However, there's no choice in death, so I wasn't sure if Peyton would do something like that.

And then they turn the whole story upside down!
    During an argument with Betty, Adrienne accidentally plummets to her death.
    upload_2017-5-9_20-59-19.png
    I was reeling when all this happened right in front of my very nose! But there's no time to ponder, as Adrienne's death turns into a rollercoaster storyline of deceit, half-truths, double-crossing and people being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Eddie Jacks, the shrewd hustler with the "Stan Laurel" charm, is the culprit of the non-murder. Rita mustn't find out that her father is being accused of murder.
    Her physical condition is very fragile, and that's why she's one of those SoapLand characters who should avoid getting upset.
    And of course it upsets her that everyone's trying hard not to upset her.

Peyton shows Lee the written agreement between Leslie Harrington and Eddie Jacks, and he convinces Lee that the only way to stop Harrington is to kill him.
    When Lee is on his way to the mill, Peyton warns Leslie about Lee's plan to kill him, and as a result Leslie shoots Lee Webber.
    Albeit fatally injured, Webber somehow manages to get back to the mansion, and then it's time for the final showdown.
    upload_2017-5-9_21-27-57.png
    Webber was a lowlife, no doubt about that, but I must say I felt really sorry for him.
    Interestingly, he tells Peyton "I know why you did this. You think I killed your granddaughter".
    And not: "because I killed your granddaughter".
    This comment seems to indicate that he wasn't guilty after all. Anne jumped, and the person most responsible for that was Hannah Cord (I think!)
    Lee tries to shoot Peyton, Steven arrives, there's a struggle, a shot...and that's the violent end of Lee Webber.

Naturally, the next question is: who's going to drive Peyton's limousine?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,781
    Medals:
    It really was perfect Soap...

• Like Like x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,832
    Medals:
    And Kenzie MacConstance finds herself surprisingly saddened by Adrienne's death.
    Maybe I can relate to that, maybe it's like when a celebrity dies, even if I hadn't thought about that person in 20 years.

Dorothy Malone looks so much prettier and younger with her groovy hair:
    upload_2017-5-9_23-32-21.png
    Maybe she's not the biggest mover and shaker in Peyton Place, but she's really fabulous in everything she says and does.

upload_2017-5-9_23-34-24.png
    I loved the B&W episodes, but her make-up usually looked to harsh.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,781
    Medals:
    Her hair certainly never moved or shook. I'm thinking it went on a wig stand at the end of a days filming.

10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,832
    Medals:
    Or...maybe it's a subconscious protest against the men of Peyton Place. Those men, who labelled Adrienne as the immoral woman....because they knew it could happen to them too? And I don't mean being deceived by a woman, but letting themselves being deceived, because they lose their heads and start to think with their you-know-what.
    So, basically, that's blaming the object of one's desire, eventhough that "object" never forces anyone to desire it.
    And that just isn't right, imho.
    It looked like it was made of wood. Maybe it was!

Lola Albright's hair wasn't so extreme, was it?
    upload_2017-5-10_3-6-25.png

• Like Like x 1