The second half of Season Six

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Clubsoda, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Is soooo good. All the drama with Ben/Alexis vs Blake, Claudia on the rampage for what's rightfully hers, Caress creeping about in the shadows, Amanda and Dex's affair being discovered and then Amanda and Clays scenes ( way better chemistry than Sammy Jo and Clay)

As soon as the attic drama ended this season ramped it up big time and if the entire season had been like this it could possibly be the very best season of Dynasty for me.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    Medals:
    There's a lot to love about season six part deux but Caress and Ben are my own personal highlights. It's a shame the writers took their foot off the pedal and didn't keep up the momentum in season 7 but it was great while it lasted.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,803
    The better pace, storylines, and character dynamics in the second half make the disaster of the first half even more of a slap in the face of the viewers who had just turned the show into #1. An overall grand narrative vision was no longer present since halfway in season 4, and season 5 was just a series of unconnected stories, most of them headed for multiple dead-ends.

But while the episodes in season 6b are good, there are structural flaws in the narrative and the casting: the Fallmonts were meant to be intertwined with the Carringtons (Clay/Amanda/Sammy Jo, Bart/Steven, Emily/Ben, Buck/Blake) but the actors in the Fallmont roles were lackluster. That may be why the Fallmonts were soon sidelined. Also, the show failed to diagnose that it was the time for some big moves, not more of the same. People came back in droves to see Blake and Alexis at each others' throats again because these two had stopped interacting in a major way since the merger, but season 7 could not be yet another round. I think bringing Michaell Cullhane back at a time nobody cared, firing Oxenberg and recasting the first nobody they found showed that DYNASTY's tanking in the ratings in 6A had not taught them how vulnerable the show had become. Until Moldavia lousy moves did not hurt it because audience tolerance made it teflon for seasons in a row, but evil twin plus dumb Moldavia outcome plus fake Fallon and THE COLBYS fatigue had puled the wool over the audience's eyes and they saw the emperor had no plan.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,800
    Medals:
    The last half of S6 was certainly an improvement over what had preceded it, and I've often thought S6 could have been the Mother of All Soap Seasons potentially, but the reality fell far short.

Even the press, while acknowledging the improvements in the Spring of 1986, observed that the strangulation cliffhanger on the mansion landing, though appropriate, still had a "finality" to the way it felt, a kind of death rattle for the show (when a corpse wakes up and shakes right before dying) and that the stories still had "no resolution, no revelation" to them.

The Pollocks and DeBlasio put their pointy little head together because they knew their jobs were in danger, but they otherwise never learned from their mistakes. They simply had no business being DYNASTY's show-runners.

S7 was less outrageous, yes, but drab and dire and wrong-headed completely.

I actually think the Fallmonts' family name was a bit of unusual foreshadowing for the planned avalanche cliffhanger that was to close S7 (and that Spelling apparently nixed due to budget issues).

It's funny how they started those compelling "come-back-to-DYNASTY-we've-fixed-it!" promos midway thru S6, and remounted the PR campaign every six months until S9 instead of actually fixing the show itself (and once Paulsen was there for S9 and actually did fix it, there was almost no promotion at all). We often fantasized if the people making those promos could actually take over the show itself.

One wonders if S6 could have lived up to its possibilities had they brought in the Colbys (and Huson & Bast) for several weeks and if they'd successfully pulled Paulsen into the show in 1985 instead of 1988 as they had tried to do.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,454
    Medals:
    A return to Alexis vs Blake seemed obvious but did they execute it well?

6. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +885
    Medals:
    Yes, the latter half of Season 06 rocked. The true last good part of DYNASTY....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,800
    Medals:
    Until Season 9, which was even better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +885
    Medals:
    Never! Season 09 was piteous.....as was everything after the latter half of 06.

9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,800
    Medals:
    You never saw Season 9. Just admit it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,454
    Medals:
    I think I'm the only one who doesn't mind the Rita storyline, on the other hand I watched the show in daily reruns rather than weekly airings so I never experienced the tedium.

Like a lot of storylines it could've been done better but that's the story of Dynasty. I would've loved if "Krystle" suddenly announced she was going into acting leading to a scandalous funded career by her rich husband.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. AndyLaird

AndyLaird Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +176
    You're not alone, I liked it. Yes it's daft and daytime soap-y, but people underestimate some of the truly bizarre things that do actually happen, especially with a family like the Carringtons. I also liked George Hamilton's performance.

I am glad they didn't keep her locked up in the same place for the entire season though. If the original plan was to keep the story going that long, Joel should have fled the country with her.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,800
    Medals:
    Indeed, it took 3 1/2 months to unfold in primetime -- like water torture, and terribly boring.
    While truth is often stranger than fiction, it was the execution which, like so many DYNASTY stories, made it not work very well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +337
    US viewers were lucky. In the UK, the BBC started alternating The Colbys with Dynasty on a Friday night, so Krystle was locked in the attic for 5 MONTHS during the first half of 1986!

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I loved the campy cliffhanger: the tremulous strings, Joan outJoaning Joan, Cazanove’s moustache twirling pantomime villainy and John Forsythe having to raise the camp factor by several tiaras just to get noticed. The bulbous necked Joanie stunt double was the icing on a cake so festooned with film flam flummox that I purr in admiration every time I watch it. It made Selkirk look like Pirandello.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,800
    Medals:
    I liked the strangulation cliffhanger, too -- if it were better executed, as it were.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Catherine Oxenbergs acting really improved in the second half aswell. She was quite convincing in her overdose scene and in her scenes with Alexis and Sammy Jo.

Pity she was fired.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,194
    Medals:
    Yes. I totally loved the direction her character was going once she started sparring with Sammy Jo. Plus Clay Fallmont was a much better love interest for her.

And then Catherine asked for a raise. And then she was fired.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,800
    Medals:
    Oxenberg asked for a very modest raise, and did so in the wake of Joan's infamous walk-out; plus, Spelling didn't like her, apparently.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,194
    Medals:
    Nertz to Spelling, then. He didn't know what was good for the show.

20. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    I think that freeze-frame of Blake at Alexis' throat (or possibly a stunt double of Alexis), along with the EP credit for Spelling/Cramer, and the one for the Shapiros to follow, was probably one of the greatest freeze-frames of O-R ABC Dynasty. Blake was plenty furious in that one, and then some!

• Like Like x 1