1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The safest and most dangerous countries in the world

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Snarky's Ghost, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,747
    Medals:
    I've always wondered if I'd like to live in Iceland.

Iceland and Syria once again come top and bottom of this year’s Global Peace Index -- USA drops the furthest

The rankings are based on a report from the Institute for Economics and Peace, which measured 24 different metrics, taking into account statistical factors such as murder rates and military expenditure, as well as perceptions of criminality and terrorism levels.

The factors are combined into a single number, called the Global Peace Index (GPI). The lower this is, the safer a country is regarded.

Syria was once ranked the 88th most peaceful country out of 162 nations. But since 2011, the outbreak of civil war and the rise of Islamic State have caused its ranking to drop through the floor, according to The Independent. Where are the most dangerous countries?

Three out of the five of the least peaceful countries - Syria, Iraq and Yemen - are in the Middle East. Saudi Arabia’s rivalry with Iran has dramatically increased tensions in an already volatile region, lending support to opposing sides in Syria and fighting a proxy war in the Yemen.

The UN estimates violence, famine and disease have killed more than 10,000 people in the Yemen since the start of the conflict but this pales in comparison to the more than half a million people who are believed to have killed during Syria’s six year civil war. Over six million are estimated to have been displaced or fled the country.

However, while the situation in these countries continues to deteriorate, many other countries across the Middle East and North Africa became more peaceful in 2016, with the Index specifically highlighting Morocco and Iran where political stability has increased. And the most peaceful?

Iceland once again topped the list, earning its rank from a low level of militarisation and conflict both at home and abroad. The country is one of the few in the world – and the only Nato member – without a standing army.

However, unlike previous years which were dominated by other Scandinavian countries, the 2017 index ranks New Zealand, Portugal, Austria and Denmark in the top five. What about the UK?

Despite increased tensions stoked by last year’s Brexit vote, and a sharp rise in racially motivated attacks, the UK rose six places to 41st. This is still below its 2014 level and it is important to note that the ranking is based on data complied before the Manchester and London terror attacks. And the US?

The political fallout and deep rooted division brought on by the US presidential election campaign and Donald Trump’s subsequent victory has led to a dramatic deterioration of peace levels in North America.

Out of all countries in the study, the US experienced the greatest decline, falling 11 places to the 114th most-peaceful country out of the 161 in the index.

Speaking to Reuters, IEP founder Steve Killelea, said “While the true extent of such significant political polarity in the US will take years to be fully realised, its disruptive influence is already evident”.

“Increasing inequality, rising perceptions of corruption, and falling press freedoms have all contributed to this substantial deterioration in the US and an overall decline in peace in the North America region,” he added. So what is the global trend?

According to the index, the economic impact of violence on the global economy in 2016 amounted to $14.3 trillion in purchasing power parity terms, equivalent to 12.6% of the world’s GDP or $1,953 for every person.

The number of countries not engaged in armed conflict dropped from 10 in 2015 to just four; Botswana, Chile, Mauritius and Uruguy, while the number of countries seeing a record number of deaths from terrorism rose to 23.

Yet overall, despite what many perceived as a tumultuous 12 months, the 2017 Global Peace Index said the world had overall become more peaceful in the past year. The 0.28% rise was “driven by a drop in state-sponsored violence, including torture and extrajudicial killings, and a decrease in the murder rate. The delayed effect of the US and UK withdrawing troops from Afghanistan also made itself felt in the research” says the BBC.

“Although this year’s up-tick is reassuring, the world is still mired with conflict in the Middle East, political turmoil in the US, refugee flows and terrorism in Europe,” said Killelea.

Out of 161 countries assessed, 93 improved on their 2016 index score, with 68 becoming less peaceful. This was a significant improvement on last year’s aggregate change. The top ten most dangerous countries according to the 2017 Global Peace Index:

Syria

Afghanistan

Iraq

South Sudan

Yemen

Somalia

Libya

Sudan

Central African Republic

Ukraine

The top ten safest countries according to the 2017 Global Peace Index:

Iceland

New Zealand

Portugal

Austria

Denmark

Czech Republic

Slovenia

Canada

Switzerland

Ireland

Infographic by www.statista.com for TheWeek.co.uk

This article was from The Week and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to legal@newscred.com.[​IMG]

I want to go to there...
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,926
    Medals:
    Sometimes I look up flights to Syria but there's never any available - just to see how far I'd get ;) Not that I have any desire to go obviously!

3. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,522
    Medals:
    The best country I have ever visited, loved it so much and felt i was at the end of the earth

the air was so clean, the scenery spectacular, and so diverse

if you ever get a chance, you have to go

And no way on earth Id even want to visit any on the most dangerous list

When I was younger I always wanted to visit the Holy land to see all the biblical places I grew up hearing about at Sunday school

Now thanks to terrorists i wont bother as I would never feel safe

4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,747
    Medals:
    The closer to the equator, the deadlier.

5. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Medals:
    Islands far from other countries are pretty safe, aren't they? :D No one wants to take a very long and potentially dangerous boat ride just to wreck havoc.

Iceland is on top of that a very homogenic country. So many are related to each other. And the population is only 336.000 people. No wonder it's so safe. :D

6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,825
    Medals:
    Such a fascinating country, so minimalistic. I wonder what it's like to live there, how the people are.
    Do they have all the modern stuff and luxury we have? Do they travel a lot, I mean, I don't think there's an Icelandian theme park or any kind of typical entertainment?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Medals:
    :haha::haha::haha::haha:

They are pretty regular people doing pretty regular things with regular stuff.

8. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,825
    Medals:
    But it's not really the same, is it? Yes, internet is worldwide, but they are living there - far, far away from everything and everyone else.
    I have CDs from Finland, but never bought anything that's made in Iceland (the Bjork CD is a UK release, so that doesn't count).

9. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Medals:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ireland an island? And the British isles? Australia kind of? New Zealand? Japan? Jamaica? The Greek islands? Malta? Cyprus?

If you had asked this before there were ferries, ships and airplanes...... but those have been around for a very long time.

10. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,825
    Medals:
    Population: more than 5 million.
    And it's close to England, and therefore London, one of the world's most important cities.
    Ireland has culture, many famous artists etc etc.

11. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Medals:
    Where there is civilisation, there is culture. No matter how big the civilisation is.

I am not an expert on Iceland, but I have read a couple of novels by crime fiction author Arnaldur Indriðason. Iceland has one Nobel Prize winner in literature: Halldor Laxness (won year 1955). I have also read a little bit from the Edda (the Norse mythology) and the Icelandic Sagas.
    Neil Gaiman has recently published his version of the norse mythology.

I have not heard so much about Icelandic movies, but it's probably because I don't watch many movies -- and because most of what I see is either Swedish, British or American. However, there is one Icelandic movie that even I know of, and it's When the Raven Flies.
    I know of 2 Icelandic actors: One is playing The Mountain on Game of Thrones (Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson), the other is actor/director Baltasar Kormákur.

When it comes to music, you already know of Björk. But there are others. Like Emilíana Torrini and Jonsi, and of course the band Of Monsters and Men.

List of Icelandic writers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Icelandic_writers
    List of Icelandic artists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Iceland

In conclusion: for being such a tiny country, Iceland have a rich culture -- especially when it comes to literature.

12. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,825
    Medals:
    Yes, well my point was that it looks tiny and very isolated and I thought it would be different from other European countries.

13. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Medals:
    It's not that very different. Few countries in the world stick out as very different from "the norm". All western countries are fairly similar. We have taken inspiration from each other, as well as companies, traditions etc etc for centuries. For example, Christmas. A few details differs from each region, but the basics are the same all over.