1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

The richest scenes

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Michael Torrance, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,635
    I was thinking of the scenes in Dynasty that are so rich and layered, they establish not just character(s) but also dynamics, history, etc.

One of my most memorable is this one. It starts (not in the clip) with Alexis flattering Mrs. Gunnerson and demonstrating how familiar she is with her superb cooking, but also how she is used to being seen as the mistress of the house by her. Perhaps she even hired her. Then in comes Joseph, who has clearly aligned with Blake because he knows which side his bread is buttered, and who already had a confrontation with her last episode and displayed his haughty nature, yet here he is prepared to be more professional and gives a matter-of-fact answer ("I am afraid this is all out of the question") when in comes Krystle. And while until very, very recently (two episodes in fact) Joseph insinuated Krystle is an outsider and he won't discuss Blake's past with her, now he looks rather satisfied to have Krystle deal with Alexis.

Of course the sea change is that Joseph now knows Krystle is carrying Blake's child--she is an outsider no more. And even that is conveyed with his willingness to let Krystle lead the battle against this outsider. The dialogue is of course sparking, with both women and characters at their sharpest, but what I really love is at 1:45 when Alexis tries to escape the confrontation with pretending to remember she forgot to tell Hilda about wine glasses. This is Alexis, we come to know, who is so adept at social maneuvering she can fib her way through difficult situations. And then Krystle gives her a steely look, because she is after all, as Alexis and others in the mansion have called her, not to the saddle born, and she is used to direct, straight-forward confrontation. Alexis knows her bluff has been called, demurs, and in a lower voice states "maybe...later."

That delivery of Alexis wanting to save face and pretend like Krystle has not gotten the upper hand is so quintessential second season Alexis, putting appearances above everything and not really wanting to antagonize someone until she has measured their strength and firepower. Both the writer(s) who gave Alexis that line and Collins in her delivery are just resonating greatly in delivering so much about the character in so little, same as Evans with that determined, cold stare down she delivers, successfully using her towering physique over Alexis/Collins to put her in her place--amazing direction, also. The subsequent dialogue delivers Krystle a verbal victory, but one has already been scored with that scene.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Well said, Michael! Your analysis explains why even if one isn't consciously thinking of everything you have observed, the writers, directors, and actors' understanding of this is what makes the scene a home run. This is one of my favorite scenes of the entire series, even though I hadn't thought through all the wonderful nuances as you have. I love your analysis:bravo:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,135
    Medals:
    I always loved that look. Like, "....Bitch. Sit down."

I wish Krystle gave that look more often.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jimmy Todd

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +927
    The writers seemed to think that in order for Krystle to be noble she had to do nothing. Saintly, noble people can have moods and passions. Krystle could have still been noble and been strong and passionate at times. Even Jesus threw the merchants out on their ass when they were selling in the temple.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,135
    Medals:
    Yup. He even made a whip to drive them out! I don't see why Krystle couldn't have done the same, and not just to Alexis. There could have been a slew of evil characters who would waltz into the mansion, only for Krystle to chase them out.

Really, Krystle should have more of a Mama Bear character: threaten anyone she loves (be it her husband, her children, her stepchildren, her friends, hell even her servants) she'll rip out your vocal cords before feeding them to you - and I don't encourage you to try and imagine how that would work. :lol:

I mean, there was that one scene in Season 7 where Krystle threatened Ben, that if he did anything to hurt Blake, she'd make certain that Ben would be "locked up for good." THAT was the Krystle who should have been around waaaay more often.

And of course, there was that infamous scene of Krystle simply grabbing Alexis and throwing her out of the house.

But since this thread is supposed to be about the "richest" scenes, if I were to pick more, and since we're still on the subject of Krystle, I'd pick these scenes:

(Whenever I watch one, I have to watch the others; it's like a four-course meal)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,135
    Medals:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jimmy Todd

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I don't remenber Krystle grabbing Alexis and pushing her out of the house. Which season was that?

8. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,635

1:40 "Your House? This was my house while you were living in a shack somewhere"

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,289
    Medals:
    I like the "I think I'll read" scene near the end of S2 with Krystle and Fallon in the living room. It displayed the kind of unsubtle subtlety the show was capable of early on.

And these two Krystle-Alexis scenes may be my favorites, more because of how Krystle handles herself:

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,135
    Medals:
    Which scene was that?

11. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,289
    Medals:
    This one -- only we didn't know she was prognosticating the cabin fire a year before it happened:
    [​IMG]

12. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,635
    It is a scene where Fallon is very much like season 1 Fallon when it comes to Krystle (S02 e11 btw: "The Car Explosion"--I guess the show did not understand to not give away the cliffhanger in the title). She plays this cat and mouse game with Krystle in the living room about Toscanni, asking Krystle if she "will continue to see him" and flippantly mentioning that playing "musical bedrooms" agrees with her. After Fallon has her fun, she walks away and tells her to send her greetings to Dr. Toscanni.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019 at 12:10 PM
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,635
    It is not a rich scene in terms of learning more about story or character, but it is the richest in showing Dynasty's gutsy psyching out the audience.

The reason I love this scene (besides Bellwood's superb performance and the hyper-dramatic performances of everyone else) is that the audience who considered themselves savvy about a TV show would know that they would not use a real baby and there were no computer graphics at the time, so if that were truly Fallon's baby, the show would use a doll. So we would see the doll, but mentally substitute the real baby and feel the corresponding emotions the characters felt. But then the show pulls its prank and laughs at our face--"how did you not see it was a doll?"

• Agree Agree x 2