The Prime Time Soaps That Never Happened

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Wintry North Poleson, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,243
    Medals:
    Winds Of War was OK-ish but I didn't really like it. That was the second red flag.:fp:

[​IMG]
    :oops:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,655
    But I know what made me admire season 1, and what made me (as a teen) like the other seasons. I can't for the life of me figure out what I liked in these wacky space vaudeville acts of Kirk and co.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,243
    Medals:
    I didn't rate/rank the seasons when I was a child. I just wanted more, more, more. That feeling, those minutes before the episode started - it was such a rush!
    That experience doesn't exist anymore, no matter how great the story is. When it's really good I'll binge-watch it, but it's not the same.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +486
    Anyone else remember “Covenant”, NBC’s umpteenth attempt at a primetime soap? It was about a banking family which had made a deal with the devil for their riches. This never went beyond the pilot and was burned off off-season. But it was so crazy and over-the-top (they had a hellmouth in the basement of their office building), I never forgot it. I found it again on YouTube, and I wish they had done a season of it, just to see what they could do with it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,243
    Medals:
    It's the mansion from DARK MANSIONS!! I'll watch it tomorrow, it looks like a great piece of 80s TV trash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    And The Colbys' pool at 42'15'' !!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,243
    Medals:
    I've watched it and the good news is that it's not as bad as Dark Mansions. The Covenant dynasty is an interesting idea and I think I would have liked it back in the 80s.
    There are similarities with Stephen King's "The Mangler" but overall it was a boring movie with mostly wooden performances.
    But it has enough potential to warrant a Netflix remake, imo.
    I guess it would be something like 666 Park Avenue.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  8. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,275
    Medals:
    Knots Landing producers batted around the idea of doing a summer series focused around the younger characters (at the time, that would have been Paige, Michael, Johnny, Olivia, Harold, and maybe Brian). At that point, the producers were frustrated at how the show lost momentum during the summer hiatus, and how the network would not even air the show in reruns. By focusing on the younger (read: less-used) set of characters, they could have gone after a younger demo while also holding onto a lot of regular viewers who might tune in to see the regulars (Lee, Van Ark, etc.) in guest spots. From what was written in the press, this would have been a 'companion' to the regular series, mostly filmed in the Lotus Point settings rather than the cul-de-sac. They never filmed a proper pilot because it was implied that they would do a lot of the setting-up within the main series. It obviously never happened, mostly because of logistics and a Writers' Strike. By the following season, it was not brought up again, likely because they had integrated Paige into the "adult" stories--and other than her, none of the younger set was very interesting.

9. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,243
    Medals:
    Well, if that Mexico storyline is anything to go by…:rolleyes: But it would be nice to see Brian in all kinds of strange accidents, like, falling off the Lotus Point mini-bridge or getting stuck into a well or eating funny mushrooms, and then the others have to work together to save him.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. JeffUSA

JeffUSA Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Creative Director
    Ratings:
    +85
    I know this thread is about primetime soaps that never materialized, but it got me thinking about soaps from the 80s and I was reminded of a late-night soap that CBS attempted on Friday nights in the early part of the decade called "Behind The Screen." It was created by David Jacobs and starred Janine Turner (prior to GH), Michael Sabatino (prior to KL), Mel Ferrer (prior to FC) and a few others. Michele Lee played herself in a cameo in one episode.

I had forgotten most of the details of the show until I read the Wiki page. At the time, I thought it was pretty decent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behind_the_Screen_(TV_series)

BTS-CastChapelSabatinoTurner.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1