The president's ladies.

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Jock Og, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,881
    Medals:
    Did anybody ever read a preview of the book 'The President's Ladies Jane Wyman and Nancy Davis'. If you haven't had the chance yet or never heard about the book, the URL is as follows:

https://books.google.co.uk/books/ab...p_read_button&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Chao-Li is entering the study, at Falcon Crest. Richard arrives for one of his less than cordial encounters, (a scene from season 6, 1986 - '87):

Chao-Li: "Shall I serve this brandy after dinner, Mrs. Channing?"

Angela looks up at him, while doing paperwork at her desk. Richard chirps up, before she can speak.

Richard: "Why wait? Pour it on her now and light it!"

Angela gives Richard the dirtiest look imaginable.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Medals:
    Such a funny piece of dialogue. I never knew of the book although from the pages put up the content is interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    I hadn't heard of the book before but it looks interesting. I will probably read it one day.

I read both Ronald Reagan's autobiographies, the first he wrote before he went into politics and the second after he finished his second term as US president. I don't think he mentioned Jane Wyman at all in the first biography and in the second he just gave her a single sentence which read something like "In 1940 I married Jane Wyman and we had 2 wonderful children before we divorced in 1948."

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Medals:
    I think a time warp in a nice manner. Were Jane and Nancy jealous of each other? I mean there was the big movie / TV star and the First Lady of America. Secondly Miss Wyman's lack of commentary about Mr. President.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Medals:
    Both Libra Risings. So similar (as others have pointed out).
    By most reports, both women were very respectful of each other. One assumes Jane found it inappropriate to comment on past husbands who'd become president.

In the early-'80s, Mary Hart of ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT interviewed Wyman. Wyman had made the request to the producers that she not be asked about her ex-husband (who was now in the White House) but that request was never passed on -- probably deliberately -- to Miss Hart. So when Mary began asking Wyman all about her ex-husband, Wyman stiffened visibly and the interview soon ended. Only later did Hart find out she wasn't supposed to ask about RR.

Maureen Reagan said in an interview that when her mother, Jane, and father decided to divorce, Ronald Reagan took her out for a drive and gently explained to her what was happening. But, in contrast, Jane never said a word to her about it at all.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    That's right, Jane said she thought it was "bad taste" to discuss ex-husband so she never did (and she had a few!)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +580
    Medals:
    Oh it seems it was just business as usual for Jane whenever she didn't mention Ronald Reagan. Then again why would she, as the president didn't make her in Hollywood. First husbands and all that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +418
    I think it was all very civil and everyone got along. I remember seeing a picture of Jane and Nancy walking together at Maureen Reagan’s funeral (Jane was Maureen’s mother, and Maureen was also close to Nancy).

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 5)