1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming

We are very close

Dismiss Notice

The Opening Credits Discussional

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by ClassyCo, Jun 18, 2020.

?

Which style best suits you?

1. Season 1 and 2

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. Season 3 thru 8

18 vote(s)
    62.1%
  3. Season 9 and 10

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Season 11

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. Season 12 thru 14

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Which credits do you all prefer the most?

Knots Landing employed five different styles of opening credits during its fourteen-season run. The most popular rendition is generally believed to be the one used from season three through season eight (as shown in the screen shot below).

I've been watching a lot of Knots Landing here lately (I'm over halfway through season ten), so I am having a lot of ideas for different threads. This one came into my head just a few minutes ago, and I decided to kick it off here.

I'm having trouble remembering if this topic has ever been discussed here or not. It may have been on the prior site before it crashed, or it could very well have been brought up here on the new one before but I just wasn't a part of it.

What you say?

Let's give this a gander.

upload_2020-6-17_19-20-37.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    The best one, the one that is most top-shelf for me on quality, is for absolutely certain that one with the title card design you illustrate on your OP (the scroll of cast members and characters); one major reason why is because, IMO, it had KL's best opening title track, the seventh-season one (1985-86).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,292
    Medals:
    I chose option 2 because it works very well for the (music) theme and the combination of different families. But I prefer the font used in the season 1 pilot episode.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +15,701
    Medals:
    I always had a fondness for the original season 1 and 2 version. It still has that disco vibe of the time which is catchy. The 3-8 is the most iconic and I liked 12-14 too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,292
    Medals:
    Season 9 + 10 = cringe! and season 11 = what were they thinking? It looks so abysmal.

6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,475
    Medals:
    I liked the inventiveness of The Sandcastle Season (eleven), though it could have used a few more revisions. The show had gotten too rich and too "uptown" in its outlook to match up to that beachy/seaside motif, since no one in the cast was going to the beach any more. This would have been a great idea back when Val and Ben were hanging out on the beach all the time. The insertion of the "previously on..." segment into the opening made it too choppy, and I'm sure a lot of people objected to the lack of cast images. The return to the faster-tempo theme tune was welcomed, though. This opening sequence would have made a great backdrop for their CBS ad campaigns, though.

My personal favorite is the Season Eight variation, mostly because of the revamp of the first few seconds. They linger over the water, take a bit longer to get to the beach....also, they updated most of the clips in the picture panels to show the characters outside (on location) more than before.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Franko

Franko Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I voted for folding panels, but I actually like the arrangement of the theme, and that swirl around the footprints in the sand, during Season 11 the best.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,505
    Medals:
    Season Three-Eight visuals for me. They're the most iconic and the first ones that come to mind when the theme is mentioned.

But... it took until Season Five to get them right.

There were a few things that bothered me about the Season Three and Four versions. I didn't like the way some images were at times "paused" rather than moving, and James Houghton and Kim Lankford's shared multi-box threw things off (the main actor credit began on the left of their multi-box, then switched to the right with Kim).

The theme variations have been discussed a great deal. The visuals less so.

I agree. It had more of an identity than the block caps of the longest running titles, even though the S1-2 font looks more Seventies than Eighties. I think I prefer the "thicker" version that ran into Season Two, but think the white font feels more Knots than the yellow.

I'd be curious to know how the Season One font would look over the Season Three+ variation of the credits.

I'm very fond of Season Eleven. It felt fresh at the time, and I think it's now the least dated version (perhaps helped by the lack of cast images).

I liked the way the theme stopped and then resumed. It felt like a strong and confident way to structure things. For a listening experience, though. I do prefer the longer version used on the Season Premiere which wasn't broken up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. bmasters9

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    I think it was the Kenny and Ginger pairing that gummed up the works on the third- and fourth-season versions (1981-83); I think that around the portion where Constance McCashin shows up is where the small pictures/scenes of the character come first, then the big picture of the cast member (later corrected to where the cast member is billed first, and then the character is showcased in the smaller shots/scenes).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,505
    Medals:
    Yes. I was a bit vague but that's what I'd meant to say (I've just finished editing my post for clarity).

It's only a small thing, but the brain gets used to taking in information in certain ways. If we're conditioned for half the opening titles to see the actor's name under their main credit and then a few smaller images of the same character, it confuses things when suddenly we're seeing the smaller images before the main credit. Even if we don't consciously notice, it puts things off-kilter.

When I was young I don't remember consciously noticing the reason for the change (Houghton and Lankford's pairing), but I do remember finding Season Five's credits somehow clearer to take in than Season Four. Back then I put it down to knowing the characters better and also the bigger images, but I think the change with shared boxes makes the information more difficult to process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,505
    Medals:
    This thread has got me into a loop of watching the various opening titles on YouTube and reading some of the comments.

One comment for the Season Five variation of the theme describes it as "the EWF-styled arrangement", and the commenter went on to say it resembles this song:

I can hear what they mean with the first 35 seconds and the way the first part closes at around 4:20.

Since the first time I heard it, the last bars of the S5 theme have reminded me of something else, but I've never been able to place exactly from where that comes. It's not from the EWF track, which is new to me. The way it ends for some reason, just screams "Seventies cop show" to me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,292
    Medals:
    I don't even know who's where in what opening sequence, but I like the one with Abby looking at the sea and valene in her chair. That's the most characteristic thing for me.

• Like Like x 3
  13. bmasters9

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    And here is the corrected version, with (as I stated before) the seventh-season title track (which, as I've also stated above, is, IMO, the best one):

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,505
    Medals:
    That one popped out at me when I've been watching some opening titles today (possibly because I took some screen caps of that scene for the Finale Battle thread). It is very Knotsy and moody.

Any credits scene of Valene walking, running, exercising or warming up just says "Knots" to me.

I also love the clip of Abby, Karen and Laura in front of the house from The Three Sisters, which got into the S4 titles. Karen chiming in to correct something Abby says. Abby rolling her eyes in response. And Laura behind them smiling at Abby getting a hard time. It sums up the dynamic between the three of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    I also agree the slide-and-scroll opening is the best suited for the show. There was a time I was particularly fond of the third season intro, but in more recent years, I believe I've straddled an equal fondness for the fifth and sixth season openings. Season seven having different photos included of the cast in character does give it an edge, but the music always seemed a little off to me that year. Just my thought.
    The first two seasons do have a unique spin on the opening to a nighttime drama series. I felt it setup the story (about families occupying houses on the same cul-de-sac) quite well, but it would not have been well-issued once all the stories pointed out of Seaview Circle. As more people moved out of the cul-de-sac, an aerial shot of the characters and their houses there no longer made sense because only Val and the MacKenzies were living there.
    Well, I'm sure I'll be in the minority here, but I've always liked the ninth and tenth season openings. I'm nearing the end of year ten right now, and I can say that I am enjoying this rendition of the opening. Season nine was a little drab with the black-and-white cast cameos, but the season ten inclusion of color stills from the episodes themselves seems fresher and the music seems to have been sped up a tad. I realize a lot of fans don't like the slower instrumental, but for some reason, it seems to fit these batch of episodes to me.
    Season eight is probably my least favorite of the iconic slide-and-scroll opening. The jazzy music (or what ever you want to call it) was too much of a change for me, although the newer photos are always a plus.

The season eleven idea seemed to be bad from the start. I remember when I first got into the show, I was baffled when I saw the eleventh season intro on YouTube. It seemed cheap and out of place to me, baring in mind I hadn't watched a lot of the show when I first saw it. Now that I'm fixing to start season eleven today, I can honestly say I am not looking forward to the sandcastle rendition. I'll probably be fast-forwarding through them a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    I went back and watched the third and fourth season openings to refresh my memory on what you're referencing here. I guess I never paid attention before that James Houghton and Kim Lankford shared their multi-box. Weren't the clips of them in the third season opening all taken from the same scene? That seems to be some form of a metaphor at to how Kenny and Ginger were never "in the clique" with the rest of them.

I've always noticed the strange pauses in the third and fourth season openings. I've never liked that. There was one of Lilimae (Julie Harris) that is just basically a picture stuck in the opening and it never moves.

Season five thru seven were the heyday of this opening, with year six being my personal favorite.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,505
    Medals:
    The added electronic drumbeats of S7 beefed up the theme and I thought had a more masculine flavour. While I prefer the Season 5-6 renditions, the S7 arrangement feels appropriate for a season in which a Dallas producer took over and an attempt was made to beef up the male characters.

I too liked them. My biggest issue with S9 is that it the blue filter makes it feel very cold, which is out of character for such a warm show. As you said, S10 rectified this with colour pictures and more colour from the Dvore painting. I liked the added bass notes in the S10 theme arrangement, which felt more substantial and a bit less new-age.

Craig Huxley spoilt the series for me. I found his electronic music very distracting. After several seasons of a full orchestral arrangement, it sounded very cheap to me. Like it was knocked up in his parents' basement. So I guess his take on the theme summed up what was happening with the underscore that year.

Yes indeed.

18. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Season fourteen reverts to more classic rendition of the opening instrumental, although it seems unfinished without the inclusion of Joan Van Ark at the tail.

19. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,505
    Medals:
    Yes, it summed up the ethos of getting a nod to them while trying to curb their screen time (and understandably so).

It's the main John Pleshette one that does it for me. It's paused at the most unflattering moment.

20. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    This makes sense, and I understand why some fans prefer this version. Now that it's been brought to my attention, I can certainly see the Dallas influence this year.
    Yes, I especially didn't like the blue glaze over season nine. For the longest time I thought there was something wrong with my DVDs or the TV set because it looked so odd. Season ten rectified the intro and I was delighted to see it.
    Season eight was totally out-of-sync for my tastes. I didn't like it at all.
    Wouldn't have been nice had each season been updated with new photos?

• Agree Agree x 1