The nun with the gun, OTT or brill FC?

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Chloe-Fusco, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +317
    Many ppl would I'm sure agree that the best years of the show, were season 1 to 4, with a couple of handfuls of plus episodes during the next five years. How do you feel about the 3rd season plot of Julia going on the run from prison, in nun's clothing, brandishing a gun and wanting to kill again. She even locked Chase up in a cupboard in the church, to stop him coming after her and kidnapped adoarble little Joseph, in the springhouse. The whole plot was bonkers, with Abby Dalton even saying it was her favourite time on the show. More OTT or brill FC or both?

• Like Like x 6
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,533
    It seemed like a case of excellent improvisation and the disguise was suitable for a show that had a whiff of Catholicism.
    "The nun with the gun" sounds OTT, but at that time I didn't find it camp at all.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,788
    Yes, outrageousness isn't necessarily wrong, it just needs to strike the right tone, the right balance.

I loved the first three years of FC, and while it was the one show among the four '80s nighttime soaps that could go crazier and get away with it, it was still a well-paced character drama, at times near-brilliant despite its deliberate silliness. So the nun with the gun totally worked, eliciting giggles and gasps -- and then ended with great pathos.

Like, say, the Wes Parmalee story on DALLAS, which managed to be both strangely poignant and laugh-out-loud funny, sometimes at the same time.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,198

When you read it out loud it's going to sound OTT, and if one does go with the OTT angle, I would add that it was OTT at its best. It changed my own feelings for the character, I went from loving her to becoming totally engrossed in any and everything she did.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,533
    You'd think that Alexis as a nun (escaping Moldavia) would be OTT fun, but it wasn't. Well, it was only supposed to be a disguise and nothing more, but as Snarky said, it didn't strike the right tone. Or any tone for that matter, since Moldavia was so devoid of atmosphere while it could have been the show's pièce de résistance.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Julia loosing the plot was the best FALCON CREST, at the show’s nutty finest. Anybody with a grain of humanity wouldn’t want to kill their mother but leave it to the woman with the bun to do just that. She became that misaligned that she felt Angela was against her and of course she was far from this. Angela could at times be ice cold. Deep within she was still mummy to her daughters, who had psychological problems and then there was Richard post season 6 (her sworn enemy, who for many years we thought had been brought into the world by Jacqueline Perrault).

Joan Collins as Alexis as the glasses wiring nun was more attractive than Julia and DYNASTY did do the nun concept later than FALCON CREST but sure don’t get into who was mimicking debate.

Wacky Julia while on the run goes up the steps of St. Timothy’s chapel and immediately into the confessional box, (a scene from season 3, 1983-84):

Fr. Curtis: “Welcome in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.”

Julia blesses herself and says; “Bless me father for I have sinned. It has been 7 months since my last confession. I don’t know what I’m doing here.”

Fr. Curtis: “What is it you wish to confess?”

Julia: “I’m consumed with hatred. I’m overwhelmed with murder. I want to kill my mother.”

Julia gets emotional as she says this.

Fr. Curtis: “Why are you so angry with her?”

Julia: “It isn’t just anger Father. It’s determination. I have to kill her!”

Fr. Curtis: “I’m sure you don’t mean that.”

Julia: “Oh yes I do! She has ruined my life. She has ruined my son’s life and now she is trying on my grandson and I have to stop her!”

Fr. Curtis: “Listen to me you obviously have faith in God or you wouldn’t be here.”

Julia: “I came here for understanding and forgiveness.”

Fr. Curtis: “Murder is the grievous sin a human being can commit. It’s not something God would ever condone. I want you to reconsider!”

Julia sobs and says, “I can’t!”

Fr. Curtis: “You’ve got a chance. Pray for yourself.”

Julia: “Can you pray Father? It’s too late for me. I’ve already killed two people.”

Fr. Curtis: “These two people, would you like to tell me about them?”

Julia: “No. I’ve already made my confession. Please give me my absolution. You know who I am, don’t you?”

Fr. Curtis: “Yes I do!”

Julia: “I’m sorry Father. I’m sorry!”

Julia storms out of the confessional box.

Fr. Curtis: “Julia! Julia!”

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,788
    Yes, DYNASTY should have been the most worldly and outward looking of the bunch, but it was claustrophobic then and it's claustrophobic now. That's what happens, I guess, when great potential is suffocated by unrelenting creative neurosis.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 4
  8. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +371
    From Julia going on the run as a nun, to everybody in tears, in the spring house and the stuff in between was A star. A big round of applause for Jane Wyman and Abby Dalton, doing the mother / daughter convo. Angela was a shrewd business woman first and a mother second. Importantly though she was mostly there; when needed most, for Emma and Julia.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +296
    To me Julia was the most intense character, with Melissa giving her a run for her money. The nun with the gun fugitive plot must have been so enjoyable for Abby to do and anything else would have been difficult to equal or better the writing / drama, in season 4, 5 and 6. Abby felt short changed, when she was written out and rightly so. My belief is that she still could have been recurring for 87 - 88 and 88 - 89, having found peace as a genuine nun, with the potential to go off on one if Julia felt that circumstances dictated. The 13 could have been put in their box, sooner than it happened.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,533
    How come I've never seen the irony:lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,053
    Of your two choices, I would go for "brill FC" rather than "OTT" because within the context of the show it wasn't out of place. Julia by then was having mental health issues and the series often religious themes so having her masquerading as a nun packing a firearm was a combination of both these elements and was as credible as anything else in Falcon Crest.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +447
    It does sound campy, but I'm doubtful that the writers sold it as "the nun with the gun" story.

13. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +277
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,533
    I thought she looked campier with that Adrienne Barbeau wig.

• Agree Agree x 1