The Incredible Journey of Doctor Meg Laurel

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Angela Channing, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    Had this film been more successful, Falcon Crest could have been very different.

I mentioned this TV movie in response to another post so I thought I would start a thread on it to discuss some thoughts on this Jane Wyman pre-Falcon Crest TV film.

Before Falcon Crest came along, Jane Wyman and her agent were looking for a suitable TV series for her to star in. Even though she was a big Hollywood star and had a distinguished TV career mainly in the 1950s and 60s, her role in this was just a supporting one to Lindsay Wagner who had the lead role. As a consolation, she was offered a special credit in the titles to elevate her role above the other supporting cast members.

[​IMG]

The film was really a pilot and if it was a success a full season of shows would have been commissioned.

Jane's role was Granny Arrowroot, an elder in a old-fashioned community who had an unofficial role of treating sick people using traditional methods based around utilising plants and other natural substances to cure ailments. Lindsay Wagner's character, Meg Laurel, joins the community as a trained Doctor and initially comes into conflict with Granny Arrowroot but eventually they both recognise the merits in the approach of the other.

[​IMG]

The film wasn't that great and Jane barely appears in the first 2 thirds of it and that was a mistake because it doesn't work until Granny Arrowroot and Meg Laurel have scenes together and then it really comes to life.

[​IMG]

Had the film been successful, Jane would have signed for the series and probably wouldn't have been able to do Falcon Crest which came along 2 years later. Although the flop of the pilot was a disappointment for her, it wasn't long before Falcon Crest was offered to her in which she didn't have to settle for a "And Starring" credit as she was the undisputed star.

As anyone else seen this film and what did you think of it?

• Like Like x 3
  2. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +492
    She looked SO much older in this than in "Falcon Crest", it's almost shocking ! :yikey:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Medals:
    I have heard of the film. Although I never watched. Jane could put her hand to anything, Babs Stanwyck less so.

• Like Like x 1