The Heir To Falcon Crest

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Angela Channing, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    In The Vintage Years pilot, Angela refers to Lance as her heir, something she also did in Falcon Crest. I can understand why she felt that way in Falcon Crest because traditional families often prefer male heirs. Also, Julia was prone to make decisions based on emotion rather than good business principles and Emma was far too scatty, so Angela's decision to skip a generation and groom Lance to take over made a lot of sense.

However, in The Vintage Years, Angela had a competent son from the outset, Richard Channing, so why wasn't he her heir rather than Lance? There is even a scene in the show in which she tells Richard that Lance has disappointed her and she has been eying Cole as a alternative successor. When Richard asks "What about me?", she is totally dismissive and replies coldly and tersely "You'll get what you deserve."

[​IMG]

When the full series was commissioned, some of the facts changed, so this issue didn't need to be addressed. However, I have a theory.

It was originally planned that Richard wouldn't be Angela's biological son; he was in fact the result of an affair between Douglas Channing and Jacqueline Perrault and Angela was made to take in the child and pass him off as her son to avoid a scandal. Richard, not being a Gioberti, Angela didn't think he was suitable to inherit Falcon Crest. The revelation about Richard's paternity would have been a big storyline had the main series been completely faithful to the pilot.

I also think this original plan was what inspired the season 6 twist which revealed that Richard was Angela's son. Although it was one of the biggest jaw-dropping twists ever in prime-time soaps, in reality it was just a rehash of an old idea.

I might be wrong but it kind of fits the facts.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +800
    Medals:
    Could be right. Never thought of it. I liked it better her turned out to be Angela’s son and he and Lance would share in inheriting Falcon Crest. I think by the end those two could get along in running the place.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,881
    Medals:
    You provid an interesting theory AC and it just like something Angela would have done. Not including Richard in the very start of FALCON CREST was a better decision because they teased us about his arrival when the 1st season finished. The can of worms he would open whenever he eventually arrived was ratings grabbing material, propelled all the more by a three dimensional character rather an outright dark individual, as in 'TVY'. Consideration was also given to casting Michael Swan as an older brother to Lance, with the same character traits but as a Cumson rather than a Channing.

Angela and Chase (portrayed by Clu Gulager) are in the winery. They are discussing the future, (a scene from 'The Vintage Years', 1981):

Angela: "Even I can't keep going on forever. Someone has to take over in time."

Chase: "What about Lance? I thought you had chosen Lance."

Angela: "That's my mistake!" She then speaks to one of the winery workers: "I want those Cabernet barrels topped today!"

Angela: "Chase I want your son. I want him consumed with this land and everything it produces. Now I'm beholden to no one in this world but I would be in your debt if you could grant me this favour."

Chase: "Sorry Angie but no ........ "

Will Chase live to regret this?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Medals:
    Angie with the grey wig looks weird. I don't know if I would have liked her with that, for the show proper.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +559
    Medals:
    I suppose you have a point Angela Channing. I'm not sure stevew about Richard and Lance agreeing to run the business together, as Angela's oldest grandkid seemed to be forever the playboy. A leopard never changes it's spots, no matter how hard Lance would try. He would never do his fair share of the work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,104
    Medals:
    Well, originally they wanted to cast Barbara Stanwyck in the role so I suspect the grey wig was a left-over from that.

IIRC, she also rode a horse in The Vintage Years, something that I feel was also more of a push for Stanwyck with her having done The Big Valley previously.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,974
    Medals:
    She did and Jane also rode a horse in The Incredible Journey of Doctor Meg Laurel which she made immediately before being on Falcon Crest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +580
    Medals:
    I always thought David Selby brought a lot of charisma to the role of Richard and of course he had the sizzling chemistry with Susan Sullivan in later years. I'm not sure if Michael Swan could've pulled the role off, as intended then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1