The Ewings working out

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Herofan, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Every time I see a gym scene at Southfork, I wonder if any consulting with exercise experts was done for those scenes. I’m guessing not.

I know a little about exercising, and it cracks me up. For one thing, everyone wants to carry on conversation while working out. I guarantee that if you’re serious about working out, talking isn’t something you want to do during a movement. There is a certain amount of proper breathing that is practiced during exercise.

I also crack up over the poor form. Bobby was doing barbell curls once and bending over and swinging the weight up. They also don’t seem to do sets and reps; they just do reps until the conversation is over. I saw Lucy do some kind of behind the back pull-down on the cables. I never saw anything like it. Talk about rotator cuff screaming for mercy! Of all the exercises she could have done, I have no clue why she would do that.

In this day and time, everything they do would be on YouTube as a gym fail. Who came up with that stuff?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,247
    Medals:
    Ah, yes, another odd room that suddenly appeared in the late-80s in the mystery dimension that is Southfork.

Where in the house was this gym located?

3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,310
    If only Dallas producers had the foresight to take hold of the new phenomenon called Aerobics and had a personal trainer come to Southfork and conduct a class with Pam and Sue Ellen beside the pool. I can imagine the reaction from Jock and Miss Ellie.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,310
    It has been noted Southfork was America's version of the Tardis.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    Medals:
    Also a mystery. Some conversations imply it's upstairs while other exchanges suggest it's on the ground floor.

In my brain, which is the only room with any relevance, I always picture the gym at the front of the garage wing. Like, if you go thru those double doors in the living room to the right of Jock's portrait, then go left, and then right, you'll find it.

:hat:

• Like Like x 1
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,247
    Medals:
    Well, I'd imagine it would have to be on the ground floor because no matter how great the isolation is, you'd hear the gym from above.

Either that or there's a Southfork basement we don't know about where the gym is located.

7. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    They did lol, remember Bobby bought Pam a gym and they promptly forgot about it after that

• Like Like x 2
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    Medals:
    Did we ever see it after Mark brought her flowers and champagne?

9. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,520
    I saw this clip posted the other day, and... is that a “booty double” standing in for Pam up until the scene cuts to her face?

10. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,310
    This sounds like I need to pack a light snack just to get there. On the upside after an exhaustive workout I'd have to drop by the bar on the way out :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,310
    I don't believe so. That's Victoria's walk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Concerning the original question, does anyone know where they got their workout knowledge? I don’t mean the character’s knowledge, but the screenplay writers, directors, or whomever was in charge of those scenes. The workouts were so comical.

13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,131
    Medals:
    Well, I'm sure there wasn't much in the way of research done. They just wanted the actors to be doing something while they spoke -- like exercise.

It was clear Patrick, for one, actually worked out in real life, and the results suggest he knew how to do it correctly. So I'm sure he would have been available to provide advise on form, etc., were it requested. But I'm sure the producers were more interested in the scene being kinetic as opposed to technically correct in their presentation of how to exercise and, in context, when not to talk.

14. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    And Miss Ellie was a Time Lord.

How else could she change her face one season & then change it back the next!!

Even Jock Ewing regenerated too! But his family wouldn't believe him so he disappeared again! ;) :)

15. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    It wasn't meant to be analyzed. You can look at Patrick Duffy and tell that whatever workout regiment he was using was working for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,993
    Medals:
    So who was spotted in the Southfork gym during the 1978-'91 series? JR, Bobby, Lucy, Sue Ellen, James Beaumont, and maybe Pam? I think I remember seeing Miss Ellie on an exercise bike at some point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,247
    Medals:
    I want to say that the gym came to be after Pam left. It feels like it started appearing in maybe season 12?

18. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,791
    Medals:
    I think the Gym was there before season 12.

19. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,620
    Medals:
    They would generally lift pitifully small weights with absolutely no idea about form or structure. However, their faces always made to look sweaty and their clothes looked like they were drenched in grease.

Even Ellie on her bike always looked like there was absolutely no resistance on the machine so her effort was very low and probably not much greater than her walks around Southfork with her jumper draped over her shoulders.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,520
    yeah, the other day I was watching an episode with Donna doing leg curls with only one weight selected on the stack, like 10 pounds. She must have done 20 reps while having a full-on conversation with someone. It was ludicrous.

These days, in the era of crossfit and instagram fitness gurus, women like Donna would be doing squats and deadlifts and yoga and hardcore cycling classes, etc. It's amazing how much things have changed in that department since those days.

I actually try to encourage my mom to do some super-easy time on the exercise cycle each day much like Miss Ellie, but she's at least 10 years older than Ellie was supposed to be in those days.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1