1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lockdown Lounge' started by Matthew Blaisdel, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    "Are you my mummy?" [/obscure Doctor Who reference]

Well then you've gotten it doubly-good. Typically when an area ratchets up their testing, their reported cases goes up, as well, since un-diagnosed cases are now diagnosed. So even after you have done more testing, the positive cases are going down to nothing. Bravo to that.

One of the reasons many elderly deaths are listed as Covid-19-related in some of the larger American cities is financially motivated. When a patient dies from heart failure or kidney disease or any other pre-existing condition, the hospital may get a certain amount of compensation/payment from Medicare or Medicaid, but if they list the death as a result of Covid-19, they get a bunch of other compensation from all the myriad funding resources set up to combat the disease. So if a patient has the virus but also had severe obesity, diabetes or any other condition, you can be sure the hospital will try their best to declare the patient died as a result of the virus and not any of their underlying conditions.

2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,872
    There has been some talk today in Australia we may not open our borders until 2023 :yikey:

3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,737
    That's specific. I would love to be a fortune teller too so I can know when it's safe to travel again.

4. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,974
    In Spain, they said that there will be no tourism business going "as usual" until early next year, if... Besides, this will be pulled if there is a new virus outbreak in September, as predicted. Not surprised because in phase 0 a lot of people stopped using masks and gloves already. Don´t they even care about their children (who play without them, of course...)? I hope things go better in your countries...:fp:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,872
    Covid-19.jpg

Deaths has now reached 100 as of May 19.​

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,972
    This just proves again that Sweden's strategy is not a good one. I mean Australia has a population of 25 million people and has 100 corona deaths.

Sweden has a population of 10 million people and have at least 2500 dead if it wasn't up to 3700 even. So something is not right here! :(

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,687
    Yesterday i had a sore throat and felt a little feverish. So i went to the website of my local clinic in Cologne and saw that i could register online for a corona test. So 30 minutes later i went there with my bike, they took the test for free and today in the morning i got a SMS that i don't carry any Coronaviruses. :cool:
    I'm really glad to live in a country where things are so well and uncomplicated organized. :gotcha:

• Like Like x 3
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,972
    I wish we could get tested that easily for the Corona virus.:( But Sweden doesn't test you unless you need hospital care or work with in a nursing home or hospital or something like that.

Good that you don't have the Corona virus btw.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  9. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    They're still diagnosing cases (maybe 9-12 per day) in our particular county, but it's starting to bug me that the local news only reports the total number of cases since late February. Yes, we've had 330 or 335 positive diagnoses and four deaths....but if they would subtract the number of people who were asymptomatic and those who were declared virus-free after fighting it off, we'd have a much more accurate idea of what we're up against. They just keep adding to the number, making it seem like infections are piling up without anyone actually recovering. They report it as if ~335 are currently battling Covid-19, when I'd think it's more like 125 or even less currently ill or somewhat contagious.
    At least they could report the ratio of negative test results to positive, which would really help people grasp that a lot more people have been given good news rather than bad.
    I'm not going to call it blatant fear-mongering, but...well, it's pretty close.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,661
    The figure I wait for is the number of new cases in my state (Victoria). That's the one which really tells you if things are improving or at least stabilising.

11. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,285
    Our government are still trying to create a perception that the UK are doing comparably well with the rest of Europe regarding how we have handled the Covid-19 crisis. We in fact we have been the worst and now have the same death toll as 40 European nations combined.

covid2.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    Greece has the same population as Sweden and Athens is a lot denser than Stockholm, and yet Greece only had
    2,892 cases and 173 dead as opposed to Sweden's 34,440 and 4,125 (as of today 5/26). And Sweden's death rate looks like it is more than double among the cases. Even if you compare Sweden to neighboring Norway, which does have half the population, it has 8,374 cases and 235 dead.

But I must say, many of us (myself included) have been wrong about SARS-COV-2 before. At this particular moment in time, Sweden looks to be completely and utterly wrong. But this is marathon, not a race. What happens if/when countries that imposed a lock-down have to do it again for a second time? (FYI we are still in lock-down in NYC.) All these other countries will face serious quarantine fatigue which Sweden has not had to face. And there are already so many nuts saying this is a conspiracy for a gazillion different reasons. I think maybe in 2021 if, hopefully, there is vaccine and the pandemic is finally over, we will be able to determine the right approach on this.

13. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,285
    Sweden has a high proportion of young people who live alone and multi-generational families living together is not common. As a result, Sweden is more suited to it's non-lockdown approach than many other countries would be because research elsewhere has shown that people are most likely get infected from someone in their household. So although not locking down is a strategy that some argue will work for Sweden it wouldn't be appropriate for other countries. However, as you point out, when you compare death rates in Sweden with those in Norway, it's increasingly difficult to argue that the Swedish approach is the correct one.

14. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,799
    I think, at this time especially, more emphasis needs to be placed on listening to your OWN LOCAL NEWS, especially in the UK. Too many people in NI seem to be listening to the national news advice which at this time is for England only. It’s confusing and needs to be addressed, especially as I hear more and more talk of people in NI attempting to cross borders into Scotland and ROI.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,285
    Yesterday for the first time since this crisis started Northern Ireland reported no deaths from Covid-19 according to official government figures (which are inaccurate and understate the true number as shown by excess deaths data). However, it's still a very good sign. Northern Ireland sensibly still want to move out of lockdown more cautiously than England.

You are right, people need to listen to their local instructions and not UK-wide ones. In England, Johnson announced a whole batch of lockdown relaxations purely to distract from the Cummings scandal. The Tory government's approach has always been to manage their reputation rather than managing the virus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,799
    We’re sick of it here. As if it wasn’t needed before, it shows such a need for NI to take control of our own destiny now.

But that would involve Arlene taking her head out of the Prime Minister’s ass.

17. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,285
    I think Mary Lou McDonald was right when she said that Covid-19 is more likely to unite Ireland. The fact that Northern Ireland and taking a different approach to relaxing the lockdown rules to England further weakens the ties with the mainland. The fact the the Republic has handled the crisis far better than the United Kingdom can only make the prospect of a united Ireland a more attractive.

Boris Johnson's disastrous leadership over Brexit and now Covid-19 has done more to make a united Ireland possible than anything that the IRA tried to achieve with their bombing campaign.

18. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,799
    I truly hope so Angela, however I'm sure that a united Ireland would have many consequences too, and would fear a reigniting of our Troubles.

19. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,444
    :bravo1::love8:

My ward is now Covid free, ie no new cases, people may still test +ve after 3 weeks but are asymptomatic!! And they think it may remauin in the system for a few months
    its good news.

Still have to wear PPE and to be honest I wouldnt feel safe without wearing it now, have got used to it all and if it protects me and patients then so be it.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,285
    That must be a relief for everyone there.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1