The Colbys: The Complete Series on DVD

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by Dynasty Masters Universe, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Dynasty Masters Universe

Dynasty Masters Universe Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2
  2. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +696
    I bought them. They were defective. I returned them. Been watching the bootlegs instead.

3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,486
    Medals:
    In what way were they defective? Mine work great.

4. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +696
    I guess I just got some defective discs. They skipped awfully bad, and I sent them back to Amazon. I reverted to my bootlegs from iOffer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    Medals:
    Mine also work great. I was “testing” them just before I heard that David Hedison passed away.

6. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +729
    Was saddened to hear of Al's passing. First knew of him back in the day as Seaview's skipper, then recognised him in The Fly which I watched around then as well though the movie came out first. (I'm suddenly feeling old.) Enjoyed seeing him again as Felix but absolutely hated how his hair was styled, all curly. In the soaps, only watched him in Dynasty and The Colbys, playing a different character in each. Shows us how much of an alternate universe The Colbys existed in, and how under utilised he was on Dynasty. Would have loved to have seen more of him/his character on The Colbys had it extended beyond 2 seasons. Can anyone confirm that he committed suicide? USAToday put out a report that said "The Los Angeles County Medical Examiner's office determined the cause of death as suicide" but its updated report leaves out the cause of death. Perhaps, to protect the family's privacy.

7. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +696
    I was very disappointed that my DVDs for the official release were faulty. The set itself was beautiful and in pristine condition. The first episode or so worked fine, but then it started skipping... and freezing... and making me upset. After trying to wipe the discs off and attempting to use other players, I found that they still weren't going to work, so I sent them back to Amazon. I suppose I could have simply got a replacement, but by this time, I was ill about the whole thing and just wanted a refund.

I've moved over to the bootlegs I got from iOffer some years ago. The quality is fair enough on my 55" high-definition TV, so I haven't any desire to have the retail ones.

8. Jason

Jason Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Graphic Designer
    Ratings:
    +7
    I actually purchased The Colbys Complete Series on dvd a year ago or so and when I received it, I noticed that the episodes looked like they were kind of low-quality AND the discs skipped all the time. I put one of the discs in my dvd drive on my computer and discovered that it was a DVD-5 and not a dual-layered disc which seemed odd to me. I found this to be quite shocking because Shout Factory usually puts out great quality dvd sets. I contacted Shout Factory directly about it and they replied the same day and said that what I purchased must have been an unauthorized copy because they would never compress four episodes onto a single-layer DVD. I promptly notified Amazon and I was sent another set. I could tell this new one must have been the "official" one as just by looking at the slipcover it seemed to be a heavier card stock and the printing quality was far superior on the slipcover and the artwork in the cases. Even the artwork on the discs themselves were clearer and brighter when compared to the counterfeit copy. The episodes on this set were exactly how I expected them to look. Obviously standard definition but not super compressed like the other version I was sent. I also didn't experience any skipping. When I popped the disc in my computer it did show up as a DVD-9 dual layer disc.

Its possible that you received a counterfeit version of this set as I did.

• Like Like x 1
  9. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    Medals:
    David Hedison did some guest spots in the UK, including a more comedic than usual episode of The Saint with his friend Roger Moore (who he later did one of his James Bond movies with), who he credited as advising him to take the part in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Watched his guest appearance in Wonder Woman. He was still doing conventions recently.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. rayray

rayray Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Executrix
    Ratings:
    +23

The exact same thing happened to me. At first glance, the unauthorized set appeared to be genuine, until the skipping and playback glitches occurred. There are subtle cosmetic differences between the genuine and counterfeit set, but the genuine set from Shout Factory has no issues.

• Like Like x 1
  11. soapfan79

soapfan79 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +29
    You have me wondering about me set now. can anyone show pictures of the original set from shout factory please.

12. Jason

Jason Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Graphic Designer
    Ratings:
    +7
    Really, for me the dead giveaway was when I inserted one of the discs into my computer and the file size of it was around 4.6GB. A dual-layered disc should be AT LEAST 5GB and usually around 7 or so. Visually, the biggest difference I noticed between them was the artwork on the counterfeit discs themselves looked shoddy... almost like it was printed with a printer that was running out of ink. The photos of the cast on the real discs are quite nice and look photo quality.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,486
    Medals:
    Yea, I was wondering as the quality from Shout Factory is pretty great. I was thrilled with my set and how well the episodes looked for a show as old as it was.

• Agree Agree x 1