The Colby Kids' Indifference to Frankie

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by Alexis, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,714
    Medals:
    The Colbys was I think a pretty great soap. It was a whole lot better than the seasons of Dynasty that it ran along side. However one of the weak points I see with it is the way that the Colby children reacted to Frankie, or rather didn't react at all.

Their mother's sister shows up and starts having an affair with their father. A woman that they cant have seen in years if they have ever seen her at all. A woman they hardly know. Yet she is their aunt and she's started an affair with their father. They subsequently learn that this woman's son Jeff was fathered by their own father. Then this woman actually moves into their family home and wants to put their mother out.

Now I know that catfights wasn't really The Colbys style. But wouldn't the Children, especially Bliss and Monica have made life a little frosty for Frankie during her time at the Colby mansion? Shouldn't one of them have been Sable's little helper in some way trying to influence Frankie, or drive her out?

Shouldn't one of them have just lost the plot in a moment of anger and insanity and caused a scene embarrassing Frankie publicly? And shouldn't the children have all been a bit more upset at Jason than they actually were?

In particular I think Monica and Bliss were missed opportunities in all this. They could have been woven into the whole plot much better than they were.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Monica was too sweet (at least in "The Colbys") to complain about that - or anything else.

Bliss actually shows some hostility towards Francesca even though it did not last for more than 2 minutes.

I think it is Miles who should have been the most hostile. After all he was the favorite child of Sable and Francesca was the mother of his arch enemy (Jeff).

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,540
    Medals:
    [​IMG]
    He made it very clear how he thought about the situation, but I would have liked to see more scenes between him and Frankie.

Monica...she was in the process of ruining the Cassidy marriage so I understand why she would steer clear of it all. I guess she didn't want to be the hypocrite.

And Bliss.
    *doorbell rings*
    (phew!) gotta go, bye!

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,714
    Medals:
    Can someone please fix the thread title for me?

5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,461
    Oh, the poetic justice after someone going in and "fixing" people's posts . . .:D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,714
    Medals:
    Fixed.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,714
    Medals:
    Oh and thanks to whoever it was that corrected the title for me. :)

8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,076
    Medals:
    Bliss trying to destroy Francesca would have been loads better material than her pouting around with Beardy McSaveTheWhales. It also would have made her seem useful, at least in terms of storytelling... in fact, remember that one scene where Bliss was upset over being talentless, especially being compared to her older siblings? Getting rid of Frankie and restoring her parents' marriage could have been Bliss' way of showing the world, "See! I'm not so useless after all!"

• Like Like x 1
  9. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,461
    I always thought Bliss was the socially relevant message of the show--look what happens without family planning and just having children one after the other: eventually you end up with one so awful, you have to euphemistically call her Bliss like sailors called the worst ocean "The Pacific."

• Funny Funny x 5