SoapLand - The Battle Of The Cars - The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Wintry North Poleson, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,237
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

But who's gonna drive you home tonight?​

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,484
    Medals:
    Anyone wanting inspiration - at least as far as the cars of Dallas go - may wish to explore this thread. :hat:

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Angela's Mulled Wine

Angela's Mulled Wine World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,951
    Medals:
    I know nothing about cars, in fact I hate them and almost never travel in them because of the pollution they create, so I've never really paid a lot of attention to cars on the shows. However, here are 5 that I do remember:

1. Angela's black Mercedes that in the titles glides across the Golden Gate Bridge before it sweeps across the Tuscany Valley and pulls into Falcon Crest where the automatic window comes down to reveal the great lady herself. - FALCON CREST

[​IMG]

2. Mark Garison's eccentric looking vintage car that made Pam believe he was still alive. It stuck in my mind because it looked like sometime Peter Perfect from the cartoon Wacky Races would drive. - DALLAS

[​IMG]

3. The open top car that Skipper drove. I remember it because it seemed well suited to Florida and must have been fun to travel in. - FLAMINGO ROAD

[​IMG]

4. The vintage Rolls Royce convertible that Blake gave Krystle as a present. It probably wasn't vintage at the time but today it looks ancient. - DYNASTY

[​IMG]

5. The red Mercedes that Pam drove into the lorry. If only she had used hand free! - DALLAS

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,237
    Medals:
    Wasn't that the same car that John Beck's character had in Flamingo Road?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Angela's Mulled Wine

Angela's Mulled Wine World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,951
    Medals:
    You mean Sam Curtis. I don' think it was the exact same model but it was very similar.

The car in Flamingo Road was even more flashy with prominent chrome exhaust pipes along the side. The car didn't look out of place in Truro but it really stood out in Dallas.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,275
    Medals:
    1. Laura's big, black (dark blue?) Mercedes, Knots Landing. Scooter presented it to her as a "thank you" gift for being such a prolific saleswoman at the real estate office. It made the Monte Carlo that Richard bought her (in the same episode) look positively chintzy. We saw Laura driving away in it when she left Knots Landing forever, so that was a great bit of continuity in a show where the cars people drove sometimes changed inexplicably within the same episode.

2. Val's yellow Pinto, KL. Unfortunately I'm old enough to recall when this was "just another car," but with forty years' hindsight, it's kitschy and funny to look at...but fit perfectly with Gary and Val's suburban/middle-class rebirth in California.

3. Abby's "baby-Benz" convertible in the middle seasons, KL. It was sporty and made a statement for her nouveau-riche lifestyle. She didn't need the biggest or the most expensive car in town...she'd hit that point where she didn't have to flash her wealth to have everyone know she had it.

4. Angela's limo, Falcon Crest. Jane Wyman and that limo of Angela's are forever intertwined in my mind, thanks to the opening titles shot of that window rolling down to show JW in the back seat. Did we ever see her actually drive herself anywhere?

5. Karen's gas-guzzling "lead sled" station-wagon in the early seasons, KL. She could pack the entire female cast into that thing for road trips to haunted houses. In her spare time she could rent out the back half for a concert venue. I think it got ten feet to the gallon!

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Blizzard Channing

Blizzard Channing Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,599
    Medals:
    1. Krystle's Rolls Royce

rolls.JPG ROLLs 2.JPG
    Blake's lavish gift is the epitome of style, class and beauty. It's elegant, expensive, and perfect for Krystle.

2. Lance's Corvette

2016-08-26_22-09-55.jpg falcon13.jpg
    This sleek, curvy little number is the perfect sexy bad boy car. It's a slightly earlier model of the one Pam has in early Dallas.

3. Fallon's Clenet series I

dynasty81-111-055.jpg i001139153.jpg
    This classic vintage car just exudes wealth, status and style. Ideal for the spoiled young heiress on the go.

4. Bobby's Mercedes (season 4)

b2b2014-08-10-10h30m18s201.jpg b2b2014-08-10-10h30m57s68.jpg
    An updated version of the one we see in the opening scenes of the very first episode of Dallas.

5. Terry's Lotus

hqdefault.jpg lotus69.jpg
    A bit loud and flashy like it's owner, it's the perfect acquisition for the grieving widow/heiress.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  8. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,484
    Medals:
    1. Cliff's BMW 633CSi
    Dallas

[​IMG]
    Love this car!* The stunning Topaz Brown paintwork. The cream leather interior (which would have bucket seats in the rear, I think). The sporty poise. The gorgeous alloys. So much classier and more understated than the road bling the Dallas Ewings drove... and a more fun drive too. Finally - it's a win for the Barneses!

*The only things I'd change about this one are the ugly American spec enormous bumpers with stick on indicators. The original European spec is perfection.
    [​IMG]

2. Ben's Alfa Romeo Spider
    Knots Landing

[​IMG]
    I can't find a picture of the actual car, sadly. But this is close enough. I love the vibrant, youthful, non-conformist, throwback feel of this car. It has something of the rebel to it. The first time I saw Ben driving it, it told me that there was more to him than met the eye. He became a big, playful kid. And I liked him all the more for it.

3. Pam's Porsche 911 SC Targa
    Dallas

[​IMG]
    Oh - how cute and curvy this dinky little car looks. But it's a complete beast when one taps the accelerator. It's everything I want in a car. But there's no way I'd get into the passenger seat the way that Barnes woman thrashes it.

When I was younger, I thought Lucy's 924 with the bubble hatch was the bee's knees. But that hasn't aged so well, so it's the 911 I'd opt for today.

4. Gary's Jaguar XJ-S
    Knots Landing

[​IMG]
    Gary's addictive nature meant that he needed a buzz when driving. So what better car for him. The XJ-S combines tradition with innovation, serves it with a great big dollop of confidence. And then wraps it in British reserve so that brash, garish Corvette attempting to burn it up at traffic lights won't know what hit it... until it's too late.

Gary's even been known to keep his spare in the boot. Poor Jill.

5. Bobby's Mercedes-Benz 380 SL
    Dallas

[​IMG]
    As Richard said, this is one of several SLs driven by Bobby over the years. It's not the car he brought Pam to Southfork in (it's not even the same model or colour). Nor is it the car that Pam crashed into the tanker. But it's the model I remember best, and still pretty iconic.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
  9. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,237
    Medals:
    1. Jeb Hollister's "Crown H" limousine - THE YELLOW ROSE
    upload_2019-7-5_19-47-17.png
    These kind of logos are often used on soap-planes and helicopters, but the Hollisters and the Champions also "branded" their cars.
    I think it emphasizes the importance of the sinister mogul, and besides that, it's a limousine that could never be used in any other soap.

2. Sid Fairgate's first car - KNOTS LANDING
    upload_2019-7-5_20-4-59.png
    Sid is not a billionaire, but as the owner of Knots Landing Motors he should be driving a pretty car, and the combination of black and white and the white accentuation gives this car a very elegant, almost Kennedy-esque look.

3. Fallon Carrington's "female Gatsby" automobile - DYNASTY
    upload_2019-7-5_21-37-44.png
    I believe this car also featured in the camp-o-licious paternity revealing and pregnancy imperilling cliffhanger crash.

4. JR Ewing's petrol green Mercedes - DALLAS
    upload_2019-7-5_20-22-54.png
    Of all the various Mercedes models shown in various soaps, I think this one resembles the classic European version the most.
    I could imagine this car being used in shows like Tatort or Derrick.
    The size - not so big by American standards - and the "so-ugly-it's-beautiful" colour seem like an understatement for an egomaniac like JR. It made perfect sense that Bobby drove that sporty red Mercedes, but what made JR decide to buy this particular car? It's a mystery on wheels, and therefore a deserving candidate.

5. Maggie Gioberti's "High School Fantasy" car - FALCON CREST
    upload_2019-7-5_20-51-28.png
    The perfect car to California Dream-away, only to drive right into the next nightmarish plotline. Either way, it's a vintage gem.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,078
    Medals:
    1) Jock's silver Lincoln Continental Mark V: A mammoth car, which was ideal for John Ross Ewing I. The very same car is on show in the museum at Southfork, to this very day - DALLAS.

2) Angela & Chao-Li's black Merecedes - Benz 600: Every inch the character of seasons 1 - 4 inclusive. This gargantuan yoke added immensely to the gothic overtones, from the show's gestation to the middle of 1985 - FALCON CREST.

3) Pam & Bobby's red Mercedes - Benz 450 SL: The first car to be seen in the big D. There were other SL models but this version was my favourite. "It's gonna be a cold day today!" "Not for everybody." - DALLAS.

4) Blake's black Lincoln Continental stretched: After the very picturesque opening titles of the pilot 'OIL' finished this big bus was seen driving up to the Carrington mansion. IMHO this vehicle set the tone for the opulence of the Colorado show - DYNASTY.

5) Fallon's cream Clenet Series 1: A classic automobile for a not so vintage character. Yet in a bizarre way Pamela Sue Martin's spoiled Fallon looked so good in such an olde worlde set of wheels - DYNASTY.

Angela had a creamy coloured Merc SL, as well as the infamous limo driven only by her right hand man Mr. Chi. Occasionally she would've drove around to check on all her vineyards, in the SL and then most famously was the victim of a hit and run in this vehicle, when Lance was set up to be the fall guy.

A furniture company's delivery lorry is at Southfork. Clayton has just parked his blue Rolls Royce Silver Spirit behind J.R.'s silver Mercedes 500 SEL. Ellie played by Donna Reed arrives to tell the furniture company's employee where to put her purchases, (a scene from season 7; DVD - 8, 1984 - '85):

Ellie signs the employee's delivery docket: "Thank you!"

Ellie to Clayton: "For us, it's a set of new bedroom furniture. Donna helped me choose it yesterday and I got them to deliver it today."

Clayton seems surprised: "Bedroom furniture?"

Ellie: "I thought it was time for a change."

Ellie and Clayton kiss.

The Ewing matriarch then gives her orders to the delivery man: "Follow me and I'll show you where to put everything."

J.R. c/w his trademark Stetson and briefcase appears on the patio: "Hey mama what's going on?"

Ellie smiling as she walks away from her son: "A new set of bedroom furniture for Clayton and me."

J.R. replies: "Oh really! How about that."

He then squares up to his stepfather: "Well I have to hand it to you. You're not here a week and you're changing things around already."

Clayton: "For your information it was your mother's decision and since it is our bedroom and not yours, it is really none of your business. Is it?"

J.R. chuckles and in his best English accent (appearing to mock Clayton): "I suppose not!"

He goes to get into his Merc. However he notices that Clayton has him blocked in.

J.R. politely asks Clayton: "Could you arrange to have that blue thing moved out of the way, so I can get my car outta here?"

Clayton throws his Rolls Royce keys at him and jokes: "Be my guest!"

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,815
    Medals:
    1 - Angela's Limo - Falcon Crest: I think it added to Angela's authoritarian air as the dictator being driven around the micro-state that she ruled with an iron fist.

2 - Sable's Rolls Royce - The Colbys: a classy car to match a class act. No nouveau riche rubbish for our Sable.

3 - Nick's Delorean - Dynasty: one of the most iconic cars of the 80's appearing in one of the most iconic TV shows of the 80's.

[​IMG]

4 - Racine's Limousine - Paper Dolls: not so much for the model itself but for the action that took place in the backseat as Racine was ferried around New York with a coterie of lovers and chain smoking business associates.

[​IMG]

5 - Fallon's Clenet - Dynasty: the epitome of rich kids with too much money spending it on toytown cars like this.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  12. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,988
    Please enjoy my very knowledgeable and technically car description terminology ;0)

1. Bobby’s red car from 84-85
    2. Mark Graison’s cream car that Pam saw after he disappeared (love that moment)
    3. Bobby’s car driving Pam in the first episode in the first scene
    4. Pam’s red car she crashed into the tanker
    5. The old Ute up Pam’s driveway, iconic in finishing off Katherine and Dallas as we knew it

Honourable mention to the limousine in RTE where Stephanie is disguised as Princess Teletha and Jono is driving her away from Jake, who recognised her. Brilliant, such a top scene! It’s all about the car of course ;-)

Funniest car is Lucy’s in a box debut

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,484
    Medals:
    Oh gosh. I'd forgotten all about that one. Excellent reasoning, Carrie.

I think that was actually yet another of Bobby's Mercs. Pam borrowed it because hers was making a funny noise or something.

Oh, the little Fiat X1/9. Such a cute little thing.

[​IMG]

I came very close to including her following car - the Triumph TR7 - on my list.

[​IMG]

Partly because I coveted it when I was young, and partly because it amuses me to think of Lucy driving a British Leyland car. But come to think of it, her Dad also drove a BL car, which did make it into my top five.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,237
    Medals:
    Funny, in this image it looks like the Barbie version.
    Don't worry, you're not the only one who has zero knowledge of brands/models/series:oops:. I can only tell the difference between pretty and not pretty:D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,501
    Medals:
    Yes, one of the unspoken laws of DALLAS: should one Ewing drives another Ewing's car, disaster will inevitably strike. Season 1: Bobby borrows JR's car and is kidnapped in his place. Season 5: Sue Ellen drives JR's car; she and Mickey are hit by Walt Driscoll. Season 8: Jack gifts Jamie his car then she and it explode. Season 9: funny car noises lead to "Bye-bye, Pam-a-lam".

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  16. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Medals:
    As many already know, I hate 80s fashion. But I also think the cars of the 80s were butt-ugly! And I think Mercedes cars are the ugliest car brand in the world. Still, a Mercedes will get my #1 vote. It's only because I really like that one. The colour especially, and that it's a cabriolet.

1. Bobby's red Mercedes-Benz 380 SL 1981 model (Dallas S4)

2. Lucy's Porsche 944 1982 model (Dallas S5)

3. Digger's red '70 Mustang (Dallas)

4. Gary's black 1982 Jaguar XJ-S (Knots Landing)

5. Lance's black Corvette (Falcon Crest)

• Like Like x 7
  17. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,501
    Medals:
    1. Sue Ellen's station wagon. It wasn't until I came to this forum that I discovered such cars were looked down upon. I loved it, especially in the establishing shot where it was parked outside Dr Elby's office; it was so identifiably hers. I couldn't help but feel a bit sad when JR bought her that fancy schmancy one in Season 3 that looked as posh as everyone else's.

[​IMG]

2. Claudia's car Matthew bought for her at the beginning of DYNASTY Season 1 that represented the freedom she was so terrified of, and that she ended up crashing while trying to break free of her crazy soap opera life.

[​IMG]

3. Christopher Ewing's car - bye-bye, New DALLAS.

[​IMG]

4. Ray's pickup truck - a mainstay of the series

[​IMG]

5. Mark Graison's pimpmobile - it just totally symbolised the Bradford May era of DALLAS and Pam's emancipation from the Ewings. Plus it felt like a call back to Sam Curtis and FLAMINGO ROAD.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  18. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,237
    Medals:
    Without your description I would have guessed it was Chase Gioberti's car.
    upload_2019-7-7_2-17-48.png
    For what reason?
    (every big American car looks luxurious to me)

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,501
    Medals:
    Me too!

20. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,275
    Medals:
    And it bears more than a passing resemblance to Karen Fairgate's block-long station wagon I gave the #5 spot on my list. Of course Sue Ellen's had a lighter paint job...and that custom cup-holder that could accommodate a fifth of Stoli, and Chase's had an extra-high roof to accommodate that enormous ego of his.

[​IMG]