In the Spotlight with the #1 - Onderweg (Abel)

Discussion in 'Music' started by Wintry North Poleson, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,256
    Medals:
    Conquest Of Paradise scores a 6.3

the next #1 hit is...?? (fingers crossed)

2. Angela's Mulled Wine

Angela's Mulled Wine World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,960
    Medals:
    As no one has suggested another song, I'll go again.

L'été Indien by Joe Dassin

L'ete Indien was Joe Dassin's biggest hit. The song's title is French for Indian Summer and was based on the song Africa by Toto Cutugno. It was a big international hit, selling 2 million copies worldwide and reached number 1 in the French charts in 1975.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Angela's Mulled Wine

Angela's Mulled Wine World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,960
    Medals:
    I always found this song to be incredibly cheesy but there's nothing wrong with a bit of cheese. It's performed in a similar way to Diana's Ross's Ain't No Mountain High Enough in that the verses are spoken and the chorus is sung, however that's where the similarity ends. Ms Ross uses the technique to build the drama in the song but here Joe Dassin uses it to impart a more romantic and sensual feel to the song and I think it's quite effective. I find the song to be enchanting and strangely mesmeric, with a melody that sticks in my mind long after I've finished listening to it. I feel as though I should hate this song but in fact I love it so I'm going to give it a...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,505
    Medals:
    Oui, it is tres tres fromagey, but as it's a scientific fact that everything sounds at least 15% better in French, even a chorus that just goes "ba ba ba", it's a huit from me aussi. Formidable!

As opposed to the song Africa by Toto.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,256
    Medals:
    The half-spoken/half-sung song was one of the popular styles in the 70s and 80s, although I'm sure the country singers had been doing it for decades.
    JJ Barrie's "No Charge" is very cheesy, but I think Joe Dassin is getting away with it.

I like Dassin's other song Et Si Tu N'Existais Pas a little better, therefore I'm giving this #1 hit a
    [​IMG]

I only know him from the smash hit L'Italiano

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,256
    Medals:
    L'Été Indien scores a 7.5

Which means that this currently our #2 #1 hit.

Here's a Dutch one-hit-wonder from 2000, "Onderweg" by Abel. (onderweg = en route).

7. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,505
    Medals:
    Very sweet, very nice. I think the fact that I can't understand a word gives it an extra something.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,256
    Medals:
    For many years I've tried to figure out why I've always been so dismissive of Dutch language songs.
    I kind of liked the guilty pleasure songs, mostly the "tragedy" schlagers, like the Dutch version of Joe Dolan's Sister Mary (who was recast as Dokter Bernard) but when it comes to pop music I've always struggled to enjoy the Dutch hits.
    My initial conclusion was that it isn't a very beautiful language, it sounds a bit harsh compared to the catchy English lyrics and the romantic and seductive French and Spanish language.
    But now you mentioned that "extra something" I think the real reason is because it's completely devoid of any mystique.
    I understand everything, and I know all the other Dutch people understand it exactly the way I do. Why this should be a problem at all, that's for my therapist to find out.

But anyway, this #1 hit sort of passed me by, I'm sure I've heard it before but my snooty, dismissive ears must have blocked it somehow.
    And then last week it was on the radio and I thought, oh that's really good. Scribbled artist/title on a post-it, and when I came home I discovered that it was not a new song but in fact an old #1 hit. I felt a little embarrassed.
    Therefore, in spite of the fact that I do understand all the words, I'll give it a 9.

• Like Like x 1
  9. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,505
    Medals:
    When I was listening to it, I was thinking, "If this was by Ed Sheeran, or one of his dreary soundalikes, would I just dismiss this as bland and boring?" So I think part of its appeal is the slight awkwardness, or harshness, of the language - and the mystique, to use your word, that comes from not understanding it.

Ah, now that's interesting. I think one of the things I find so toe-curling about Ed Sheeran's songs - in fairness, not all of them, just the soppy, maudlin ballads like 'Castle on the Hill' is that the lyrics are written in a very simplistic, blokey, I'm-just-an-ordinary-guy-like-you sort of way, which I understand is a big part of his appeal, but I just find really cringy. I think it's because I don't believe in its ordinariness; it's too calculated to appear ordinary. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I think that's why I prefer Justin Beiber singing Ed Sheeran to Ed Sheeran singing Ed Sheeran -- Beebs is a mega pop star who sounds like a mega pop star, whereas Sheeran's a mega pop star trying to sound like the friendly man who lives downstairs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,256
    Medals:
    I think I understand what you're saying here.
    And it's not the same as the sentimental fakery of Tom Jones' Green Green Grass Of Home because I don't think anyone believed there was something personal about that song.
    It's a story song, like In The Ghettoooo.

To hear Ed Sheeran sing about "we were younger then" and "take me back to" then what does that mean? Kindergarten? Toddlers looking for jobs?
    To me it sounds like a nostalgic song about nostalgia where there is none.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,256
    Medals:
    Onderweg scores a 8.5

12. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,505
    Medals:
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,256
    Medals:
    I'm reading the review for Afternoon Delight! And Matt Damon sang it in a movie!

• Like Like x 1
  14. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,505
    Medals:
    Cool! I've started the other end. I've just got to 'Venus' by Frankie Avalon. Brad Pitt and Edward Norton sang it in a movie but they changed the title to 'Penis'.

Oh, and I took a look at Popular for the first time in ages. Tom Ewing's got some funding so he's writing about a song a week now.

15. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,256
    Medals:
    It seems so obvious and yet I've never thought of it before.
    I've read quite a lot of those #1 reviews...they often leave me fuming with disagreement, haha.
    But it's good to be challenged every now and then, there's no progress if you only read the "comfortable" stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  16. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,505
    Medals:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,256
    Medals:
    I don't think I had heard that song before (??)
    The review doesn't say much about the cover version itself, but I get the impression that the song is deemed too important for the Beatles' history and because of that it's become "untouchable".
    While I appreciate the sentiment, and I wouldn't dare to underestimate the context of it being a Beatles closure song, I still wasn't convinced that this cover shouldn't have happened.
    I'm usually a little wary about making music (songs) too sacred, because I think music is something that everyone should be able to hear and enjoy - regardless of the who and why and when.
    So I've listened to both versions, and I think the most noticeable difference is that Paul McCartney sings his song, while Young & Gates are performing a pretty perfomance.
    How pretty it is depends on who you ask, I for one don't find it particularly harmonious and at the same time there's no interesting vocal contrast between Y&G, therefore it puzzles me why it had to be a duet in the first place.
    It sounds like an Idols Songbook version, they may as well have picked Bright Eyes or something like that.
    Part of the vocals - but I have no idea who sings what - reminded me of Boy George, and I mentally tried to change it into a Boy George cover, but that never happened.

What was it that you liked about that review? Was there a surprising angle or was it exactly how you felt about the Y&G version?