1. Used to think that life was sweet

Used to think we were so complete

I can't believe you'd throw it away

In the Spotlight with the #1 - Onderweg (Abel)

Discussion in 'Music' started by Willie Oleson, Dec 26, 2018.

1. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,503
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,503
    Medals:
    It's certainly better than the British number one at the time, Jive Bunny and The Mastermixers's nightmarish 'Swing The Mood'. In America, 'Right Here Waiting' by Richard Marx and 'Cold Hearted' by Paula Abdul were number one during the same period. I don't think I've ever heard of either of them.

3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,760
    Medals:
    This single is actually a synth pop remix of the soundtrack album, released in 1986 (not 1987, sorry my mistake).
    I find it all very majestic (especially combined with clips of the mini-series) but the synth pop sound makes it a little generic here and there, although I love the thunder sound effects.
    The single release doesn't have the soundtrack version and that's going to cost them a point. 8 - 1 = 7.

But then there was this wedding party and someone started with the famous/infamous "bom bom bom bom-bom, bom-bom, bom-bom", you know, just for the heck of it.
    Another person followed, also just for the heck of it and then the whole thing escalated and within a minute or so the whole family (two families, it was a wedding) was bom-bomming and the funniest part was that no-one knew when it was time to stop.
    It was almost like a trance, the hitsong became an experience - and it wins 2 points because of that. 7 + 2 =

upload_2019-1-3_1-25-1.png

• Like Like x 2
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,760
    Medals:
    That's a decent ballad, Bryan Adams style.
    Not as nightmarish as that tacky Grease megamix.

5. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,728
    Medals:
    Good start - a song I've never heard before.

First time I played it, I was confused. "Why would anyone want to listen to that? Sounds like there are 10 songs in 1." -- Then I realized I had Spotify on as well. :fp:
    So, the second time I played it, it was much better. I love the Afrobeats.

Getting 9s or 10s from me will not be easy. Only those I truly love will get considered for that. So I will base my rating on how likely it is that I will add it on Spotify and how likely it is that I will listen to the songs again.

Therefore, I give Margaret Singana a.......

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,760
    Medals:
    That makes sense, and maybe I've overrated it a little bit because it's not one of my all-time favourite songs, but it's a catchy and exotic #1 hit.

We Are Growing scores a 7.2

The next #1 hit is ?? and will be presented by ??
    I want to keep it surprising and spontaneous so I'm not going to tag anyone.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,760
    Medals:
    Anybody….?

8. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,998
    Medals:
    Do you want someone to volunteer a number 1 song?

9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,760
    Medals:
  10. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,998
    Medals:
    I must be a bit dim because I didn't realise that was how this thread worked. I'll nominate a song shortly.

11. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,998
    Medals:
    As there has been a recent revival of interest in the band Bros, following the realise of a documentary about their reunion tour, I thought it would be interesting to revisit their only UK number 1, I Owe You Nothing.

Originally released as their debut single, it failed to chart on its original release but was remixed and re-issued following the success of their breakthrough single When Will I Be Famous and spent 2 weeks at number 1 in the U.K. in June 1988.

The song was proceeded to number 1 by Doctorin' The Tardis by The Timelords and was knocked off the top spot by Glenn Medeiros's Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,728
    Medals:
    I Owe You Nothing:
    The singers "ugh"-sound before some words started to annoy me. That will cost!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  13. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    I liked Bros back then--I even had a CD given at their tour, which includes the Bros Megamix. I think lyrics-wise, this is an 8. There is something liberating about shouting "I Owe You Nothing" to people who think they are in charge of some invisible strings in you (plus they are singing about "revenge"--my favorite soapy theme). But it doesn't have the crazy energy of "When Will I Be Famous" or the deep resonance of 'Cat Among The Pigeons" (my favorite Bros song, and video). So I give it a

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,761
    I didn't care for Bros at the time, though I grew to appreciate their pop sound years later.

Not liking what songs they put out there in the late 80s, I do admit that I thought this was a great number one, even more, when you look at the two number 1s at either side.

Listening to again and I'm still very much loving the track, so I'm going for

8.png

• Like Like x 4
  15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,761
    P.S. This is a great mix of mash

• Like Like x 2
  16. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,998
    Medals:
    I never liked Bros back in their heyday in the 1980s so it was interesting to listen to this song again now that I have a broader taste in music and I can now appreciate talent even when something isn't entirely to my liking. However, after listening to it I realised I was correct in the 80s and I still find this record to be awful.

The song sounds over-produced like it was entirely created artificially and has little resemblance to an authentic sound created by a band playing real instruments (the main sound appears to be an overused drum machine) which makes me wonder how much the Goss brother on drums and Craig on guitar actually contributed to the final sound. That in itself wouldn't be a problem if the music was overlaid with some great vocals however the Goss brother singing doesn't do a great job. I found his voice to be a bit thin and his phrasing wasn't particularly good (too many breaths in the wrong places and too many annoying "ooh" and "ooh-ah" sounds punctuating his singing). This was his first single and he probably improved over time but here he wasn't good.

There isn't much that I like about this song so I only award it a 3 and that's mainly for the rather nice jacket that Craig wears in the video and for the lyrics which make me wonder what she did to him why he's so angry and vengeful ("I'll watch you suffer with no feelings, no feelings at all" is pretty brutal stuff!)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,760
    Medals:
    I didn't pay much attention to them when they were famous but I've always assumed that they were PWL artists.

The chorus does have that over-the-pop PWL theme, but it's quite a bitchy song, especially for male singers.
    I like all the "whoo!'s" and in some parts he even sounds like Michael Jackson.
    It's not a song that I would buy and listen to at home, but by late 1980s standards I think this is not so bad at all.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,547
    Medals:
    I’ve never been a fan of this song and I hadn’t heard it for a while so I tried to listen to it with fresh ears and unfortunately I instantly disliked it again. I thought I might have been in the wrong frame of mind so I tried listening once again later and I disliked it even more. It’s the vocals I can’t take to (so sorry Bros) and too many meaningless “whoahs” I usually quite enjoy “whoahs” etc., I felt these added nothing to the song.

On a positive note I quite liked the music.

I am going to be harsh and give a lowly 3.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,760
    Medals:
    It looks like we're done discussing the bros bros.

I Owe You Nothing scores a 5.3

Next is.....??

• Like Like x 1
  20. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,547
    Medals:
    Shall I suggest one? lets try an oldie which reached number one in the US.

Rock Me Gently - Andy Kim (1974)

The song was a Billboard number one hit for Canadian singer Andy Kim in 1974.

The Canadian singer, who had achieved several hits from 1968 to 1971, had not had a Top 100 single since September 1971, and had been without a record label since early 1973. He formed his own label, Ice Records, and personally financed the recording session that produced "Rock Me Gently". He could afford to record only two sides, and deciding the second side was good enough to be an A-Side, he put an instrumental of Rock Me Gently on its B-Side.

The single impressed Capitol Records executives, who signed Kim to a deal. "Rock Me Gently" debuted on the Hot 100 on June 22, 1974, and took 14 weeks to reach #1 on September 28. It also rose to #2 on the UK Singles Chart, and #10 in Ireland, and remains his only charting song in either the UK or Ireland. Even the instrumental B-Side received substantial airplay on R&B stations. It would be Kim's last top 10 hit in either country.

This is a fan made video (I think its very good). A video from TOTPs featured a certain DJ who I would prefer not to see or show.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 3)