Discussion in 'Music' started by Ome for Christmas, Oct 1, 2016.
Don't! It makes you even more lovable!
Laura Branigan vs Pat Benatar
As always, if you have ten favourites from both sides,
then please post the two lists and I will include them in the final tally
Laura Ann Branigan (July 3, 1952 – August 26, 2004) was an American singer, songwriter, and actress. Her signature song, the platinum-certified 1982 single "Gloria", stayed on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 for 36 weeks, then a record for a female artist, peaking at No. 2.
She died at her home in 2004 from a previously undiagnosed cerebral aneurysm.
Patricia Mae Benatar (born January 10, 1953) is an American singer, songwriter, actress, and four-time Grammy Award winner. She has two RIAA-certified multi-platinum albums, five platinum albums, three gold albums, and 15 Billboard Top 40 singles.
She has sold more than 30 million records worldwide.
I'll opt for the songs I know, but I'm looking forward to discovering more here. I've especially been meaning to check out some more Benatar.
Independence Day [PB with Martina McBride]
Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow [LB]
We Belong [PB]
Wuthering Heights [PB]
Dim All The Lights [LB]
The Effect You Have On Me [PB]
Hit Me With Your Best Shot [PB]
We Belong [PB with MMcB]
How Am I Supposed To Live Without You [LB]
Laura Branigan top 10:
1. Power of Love
2. Show Me Heaven
3. Self Control
4. Ti Amo
6. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow
7. How Can I Help You Say Goodbye?
8. The Lucky One
9. Spanish Eddie
10. How Am I Supposed To Live Without You
Pat Benatar top 10:
1. We Belong
2. Shadows Of The Night
3. Love Is A Battlefield
5. I Need A Lover
6. All Fired Up
7. We Live For Love
9. Hit Me With Your Best Shot
10. Treat Me Right
I've always thought "Self Control" was her one-hit-wonder.
They played "Gloria" in American Crime Story and I thought it was an odd choice for an American series, I had no idea it was actually a smash hit over there.
Warm greetings from Finland:
1. LB - Self Control
2. LB - The Lucky One
3. LB - Satisfaction
4. LB - Shattered Glass
5. LB - I Found Someone
6. LB - Ti Amo
7. PB - Fire and Ice
8. LB - Spanish Eddie
9. LB - Power of Love
10. PB - Heartbreaker
I can no longer hear it without thinking of Debbie Reynolds...
I also have a Almighty/Klone-esque cover version of Gloria
I always prefered Self Control to Gloria and then I bought this on 12" with a 2nd remix that I've spent a lifetime trying to find on YouTube
And then I found it!!!!
1. Self Control - Laura
2. Theme From "Hollywood Wives" - Laura
3. Love Is A Battlefield - Pat
4. We Belong - Pat
5. Dim All The Lights - Laura
6. The Lucky One - Laura
7. Wuthering Heights (!!) - Pat (ta! @Mel O'Drama )
01. Love Is A Battlefield (Pat Benatar)
02. Self Conrol (Laura Branigan)
03. Hit Me With Your Best Shot (Pat Benatar)
04. We Belong (Pat Benatar) (this song reminds me always of Knots Landing, because Cathy Gear also sang this on the show)
05. Imagination "from the movie Flashdance" (Laura Branigan)
06. Lucky (Laura Branigan)
07. Heartbreaker (Pat Benatar)
08. Gloria (Laura Branigan)
09. I Need A Lover (Pat Benatar)
10. When I'm With You (Laura Branigan)
I can always rely on you to find a Euro mix of an already favourite song.
1. Love is a Battlefield (PB)
2. The Lucky One (LB)
3. Solitaire (LB)
4. Self Control (LB)
5. Shattered Glass (LB)
6. We Belong (PB)
7. Gloria (LB)
8. Sex as a Weapon (PB)
9. Hit Me with Your Best Shot (PB)
10. Shadows of the Night (PB)
With 7 (LB) / 12 (PB) studio albums
and 21 (LB) / 39 (PB) singles
6 voted on 35 songs
Here’s who won the battle
1. Self Control (LB) = 44
2. We Belong (PB) = 37
3. Love is a Battlefield (PB) = 36
4. The Lucky One (LB) = 26
5. Hit Me with Your Best Shot (PB) = 16
6. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (LB) / Gloria (LB) = 14
7. Shattered Glass (LB) = 13
8. Dim All the lights (LB) / Power of Love (LB) / Ti Amo (LB) / Heartbreaker (PB) = 12
9. Wuthering Heights (PB) = 11
10. Independence Day (PB) / Shadows of the Night (LB) = 10
11. Show Me Heaven (LB) / Theme From "Hollywood Wives" (LB) = 9
12. Satisfaction (LB) / Solitaire (LB) / I Need a Lover (PB) = 8
13. I Found Someone (LB) / Imagination (LB) = 6
14. Lucky (LB) / The Effect You Have on Me (PB) / All Fired Up (PB) = 5
15. How Can I Help You Say Goodbye? (LB) / We Live For Love (PB) = 4
16. How Am I Supposed to Live Without You (LB) / We Belong [PB with MMcB] / Invincible (PB) / Fire & Ice (PB) / Sex As a Weapon (PB) = 3
17. Spanish Eddie (LB) = 2
18. When I'm With You (LB) / Treat Me Right = 1
Chvrches (pronounced "churches") are a band from Glasgow, Scotland, formed in September 2011
Mostly deriving from the synth-pop genre, Chvrches also incorporate indietronica, indie pop, and electronic dance into their sound.
Neon Gold described their sound as "a godless hurricane of kinetic pop energy". Kitty Empire of The Observer wrote they "make accessible electro-pop that's only just short of truly brilliant". Wired noted following Every Open Eye's release that the album "cements the group as today's heir apparent to Depeche Mode, New Order, and other titans of British electronic music."
The band stated that their heroes were David Bowie, Depeche Mode, Iggy Pop, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Tangerine Dream and Nick Cave. They are also influenced by acts such as Madonna, Eurythmics, Throbbing Gristle, Prince, Tubeway Army, Robyn, Laurie Anderson, Kate Bush, Cocteau Twins, Death Cab for Cutie, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Cyndi Lauper, Whitney Houston and Elliott Smith.
1. Clearest Blue
2. High Enough To Carry You Over
3. Make Them Gold
4. Bury It (ft:Hayley Williams of Paramore)
5. Under The Tide
7. Get Out
8. Dead Air
10.The Mother We Share
I didn't know all this ^^^ although, it explains why I am attracted to CHVRCHES music.
I still keep learning something new on SC
2. Leave A Trace
5. Clearest Blue
6. Never Ending Circles
7. The Mother We Share
8. My Enemy
9. Bow Down
1. Never Say Die
2. Get Out
4. Clearest Blue
6. We Sink
7. The Mother We Share
9. Leave a Trace
I'm a newcomer to the band.
My mate was telling me how much he loved their music after the first album and I checked it out but never cared for it. Then last year they were supporting The killers in Glasgow and after I rolled my eyes at the thought of them, I never gave it another thought.
At the concert, I was just waiting for The Killers and when CHVRCHES came on I found myself instantly attracted to the lead and even commenting on how she reminded me of Clare Grogan (Altered Images). By the time they were onto a third song, I was mesmerised by how brilliantly 80s they sounded. The rest of their gig went down really well and as soon as I was back at my computer I was on YT checking out the songs they had played, then I went to iTunes and bought all three albums.
Separate names with a comma.