1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Teen Soaps"

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Franko, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Franko

Franko Soap Chat Member EXP: 8 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Over on James' versus thread, we've discussed how unwieldy it could be to cover the whole genre (with original recipe 90210 as the starting point).

I have no interest of tackling this -- way too many other viewing commitments -- but I'll throw out the idea that somebody could try it with, I guess, the second to third wave of these type of shows. When I say "these type," I mean non-supernatural, not-really dramedy stuff that aired on a network. You could probably do a whole 'nother thread with ABC Family/Freeform.

Anyway, the viewing would span from 1996-2013, with head to head stuff spanning from 1998-2012:
    7th Heaven
    Dawson's Creek
    Felicity
    Everwood
    The O.C.
    One Tree Hill
    Gossip Girl

Did I miss anything?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,475
    Long ago I watched the Pilots of half of these shows, and didn´t interest me enough as to watch the rest of them. But I must admit that "Dawson´s Creek", "Everwood", and "The OC" seemed promising to me (I should get a hold at the "Felicity" one too because I´ve read many good things about it and my husband Scott Foley (and the brilliant Keri Russell) was in it!! I hope someone can talk about them in this thread, thanks for starting it.

upload_2019-9-15_10-56-44.jpeg

Here is Scotty in a tender moment last night​

3. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    I'm not sure if you're only looking at longer running shows but I always liked Young Americans, even more so than it's parent show.

4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,957
    I've always tended to resist them. It's the age group always portrayed most unrealistically, almost no matter what they say.

Whenever I've attempted to try one out, I lose interest really fast.

5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,519
    • Pentobarbital.
    • Xanax (Alprazolam)
    • Limbitrol (Chlordiazepoxide)
    • Valium (Diazepam)
    • Ativan (Lorazepam)
    • Halcion (Triazolam)
    • Lunesta (Eszopiclone)
    • Sonata (Zaleplon)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +70
    What about "Gilmore Girls"? If "7th Heaven" and "Everwood" are labelled as teen soaps, then "Gilmore Girls" should be as well.

"My So-Called Life" and "Party of Five" were also teen soaps.

7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,098
    I don't think Everwood focused on the teen stories.

The only other title from that list I've seen is The O.C. but really only for Julie Cooper. It felt like putting up with the younger cast stories and after 3 seasons I realized it wasn't doable anymore.

One Three Hill always gets raving reviews here on soapchat, it's been in my to-buy-basket several times but there was always too much hesitation, and then I couldn't justify the purchase anymore.
    I'd probably give it a go if it was on Netflix or YouTube.

8. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,957
    I hated what they did to Scott Wolf's character, on the altar of giving the in-house nice guy more "dimension".

9. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    My So-Called Life didn't really feel like a soap to me. It was more special than that.

I remember really liking all the characters in The O.C., but really wanting it to become more sleazy, more Knots Season 4. It was just a bit too nice.

10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,517
    Just for the plain weirdness of it:

Hidden Palms

It's like eight episodes and is sort of a soapy mystery soap with teenagers and Kevin Williamson producing. It's a mess, but fascinating in it's own way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,933
    Friday Night Lights wasn't on the list and it was amazing. It aired from 2006-2011. It's based on the movie of the same name and the movie was based on a real life story, so it's not technically a soap, but it's a drama primarily about teenagers with stories that continue from week to week. It's as exciting as a soap, but more realistic since it is based on a true story. Like One Tree Hill, it has adults in major roles as well - namely the coach and his wife, played by Kyle chandler and Connie Britton. The coach's wife is the guidance counselor at the high school where he coaches and then later becomes the principal of the school. All the other lead characters are kids.

As an example of what it's about, Tim Riggins (played by Taylor Kitsch) is one of the star players in the team. He's known for his toughness and never quits on the football field. Off the field he has problems. His parents have both deserted him and his older brother, so his older brother raises him, but he's got problems too and not really suited to raising his brother. Tim is a hard drinker, not really an alcoholic, but he's the kind of guy who always has a beer in his hand even though he's rarely drunk. He's not good at school, but his girlfriend is an excellent student and she tries to get him motivated to go to college. The thing is, how would he even afford to go to college?

All the kids in this show have difficult problems in their lives and they're all different sorts of problems. They're presented realistically and and in an interesting way. I highly recommend Friday Night Lights.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1