1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dallas Actors Steve Forrest in "The Baron"

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Seaviewer, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,679
    Medals:
    I've been watching Steve Forrest's 1960s series The Baron. It's one of those shows that seems to be on perpetual repeat in the early morning hours here and I'm finally seeing it by courtesy of the DVR.

All I knew going in was that he played an antique dealer so I was quite intrigued when he explained that the nickname came from him being a "cattle baron" with a ranch near Dallas!.

Now it all makes sense.

• Like Like x 4
  2. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,379
    Medals:
    They changed the character from the books by John Creasey. The Baron was originally an English aristocratic reformed jewel thief and antiques dealer but for the series they turned him into a wisecracking American cattle baron, taking his title from his ranch. I watched The Baron. I've got all 30 episodes on DVD Twice. UK and AUS with different extras. It was made by ITC Other ITC regulars appearing on Dallas included Craig Stevens (his wife Alexis Smith did Dallas too), Joel Fabiani and David Healy (who THE BARON shoots dead in The Island). Lelia Goldoni did some ITC guest roles and she turned up in Knots Landing season 5 as Dr Beauvais.

ITC also did the gritty crime drama series Gideon's Way (filmed June 1964-May 1965), based on John Creasey's work. Ending production just weeks before shooting commenced on The Baron, The Baron (filmed July 1965-October 1966) inherited crew and incidental music.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Seaviewer

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,679
    Medals:
    Yeah, that's on a continuous early-morning loop, too. I've watched that via DVR as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. J. R.'s Piece

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,379
    Medals:
    After filming commenced on The Baron, producer Monty Berman soon had two major concerns. The scripts and Steve Forrest. Berman told Cyril Frankel that Steve seemed too stiff and they couldn't get anything out of him. After watching footage, Cyril Frankel though Steve Forrest seemed nervous and so Berman got Frankel to direct some episodes. In the process, Cyril and Steve became friends and Cyril got Steve to relax and give a more natural-seeming performance. In terms of scripts, two episodes had been very thinly disguised versions of three episodes of The Saint (Berman had co-produced the monochrome episodes of The Saint and the whole of Gideon's Way with Robert S. Baker). Portrait of Louisa had been The Saint: Lida. While The Baron: Farewell to Yesterday takes The Saint: The Saint Sees It Through (instead of smuggling antique coins, it was previously drugs in The Saint) and takes the train-based conclusion of The Saint: The Rhine Maiden almost exactly word for word. Roger Moore remembers that he wasn't too pleased about it either.

Eight episodes in, The Baron was shut down for a month in November 1965 (during which time the first colour episode of The Saint was recorded) and retooled and two episode guest star Sue Lloyd became a regular, replacing Paul Ferris, who was dropped. The script quality also noticeably improved.

When a film crew went to Steve Forrest's home to record extras for the UK DVD release, Steve Forrest's wife blocked it, although Steve told the crew off-camera that The Baron was one of the happiest experiences of his life. They also blocked some repeats. Sue Lloyd said that this was because of issues regarding Steve and money.

I was with Jane Merrow in November and she guested in The Baron. I was with Peter Wyngarde twice last year and he guested in The Baron in a dual role. And Freddie Jones, who guested in The Baron. I also met Angela Douglas, Ray Brooks last year and they both did Gideon's Way. I already know the utterly lovely Caron Gardner who did two episodes of Gideon's Way and Annette Andre, who guested in both Gideon's Way and The Baron.

You might notice that a white Jaguar and a red Renault Dauphine were filmed hurtling off a cliff for The Baron. These plunges (with augmented footage) were also reused (one or both!) in The Saint, The Champions, Department S, Randall and Hopkirk Deceased, Jason King, The Persuaders! and The Adventurer.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  5. J. R.'s Piece

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,379
    Medals:
    PDVD_130 (2).JPG PDVD_129 (2).JPG

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Seaviewer

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,679
    Medals:
    I just saw that one; one of the better entries. I loved The Saint when it was on years ago but haven't seen it in yonks (although I'm now in the process of fulfilling a long held ambition of reading the books) so I didn't recognise the stolen scenes. In fact, the train-based conclusion made me think of From Russia, With Love.
    I sort of dropped into the middle of the series but eventually came to what was obviously the first episode and was surprised to see the male assistant. Cordelia clicked from her first appearance. They obviously didn't know what they had with her at first but then I guess such a resourceful female character was still a rarity at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. J. R.'s Piece

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,379
    Medals:
    All the stuff with The Baron climbing outside the train window and sticking the henchman's head outside the window and beating him up is taken straight from The Saint: The Rhine Maiden. The death of Cathy is lifted from the end of The Saint Sees It Through.

The Saint Sees It Through

Diplomatic Immunity, which introduces Sue Lloyd wasn't intended to be first but was shot fourth. Samurai West was shot first in July 1965. Sue Lloyd then guested in the seventh episode shot, Epitaph For A Hero. She is then a regular from the ninth episode in production, Something For A Rainy Day.

Steve Forrest is noticeably a lot more relaxed in later episodes, like The Maze than he was in Samurai West.

So this makes you more certain that Ben or Wes might have been Jock?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Seaviewer

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,679
    Medals:
    I'm definitely certain that he might have been. ;)

• Like Like x 1