Spelling's flat-lighting ... how much did it hurt??

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,048
    Medals:
    I honestly don't see how Frankie being lovelier would undermine Sable's reactions.

2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,048
    Medals:
    Wait, what?

No, that's not the answer. I can buy Blake and Alexis' backstory, because we were shown glimpses of what their past like in Seasons 2 and 7: in S2, when Blake and Alexis were in Rome, they got on quite well with each other and shared a celebratory kiss, and even hung out casually in the kitchen after Krystle drove off. And of course, in S7, Blake had amnesia and thought he and Alexis were still married. During those scenes, they were quite loving and even domestic with each other.

Obviously there was more to their marriage than just fights. Plus the fact that Alexis made several attempts to worm her way back into Blake's life, and that Blake had a bad habit of confiding in Alexis about the children instead of Krystle, shows that they had a connection. But what kept Blake from ever returning to Alexis was the knowledge that she killed his child with Krystle. He could never go back to her after that.

It was more than just the story that made me believe that love ever existed between those two; it was the characters,the actors, and the extra details/moments they shared as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,144
    Medals:
    Because it would make Sable look more villainous, and she wasn't - at least not in this part of The Colbys saga.
    I think I would have experienced her reactions in a different way in case I didn't feel sorry for Sable at all.

I'm not saying that this was the only way to do it, I just like the way it turned out (intentional or not)

4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,144
    Medals:
    Maybe you should watch this scene
    [​IMG]
    and then tell me you're not buying it at all.

5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,048
    Medals:
    Um... I got the impression that, in the first season, Sable was *supposed* to be villainous. She tried to have Connie committed just because the old lady decided to leave her shares to Jeff and not to Miles. Talk about disproportionate retribution. Plus she tried getting Fallon to have a baby with Miles, ignoring the fact that such an act could have dangerous consequences to the dynamic between her, Miles and Jeff. She also blackmailed Jason into agreeing not to divorce her by promising not to make Philip's letter public knowledge... only to immediately turn around and give it to Miles, claiming, "He had a right to know!" when really, she did it because she believed Fallon would leave Jeff because of it. And when Jason decided to leave her for good, she claimed he had her beaten, and got him arrested.

It wasn't until Season 2 when Sable became much more sympathetic... except for the part where she tried to take Scott away from Adrienne. I mean, she seemed to expect Adrienne to be perfectly fine with giving up her son. Don't get me wrong, I love Sable, she's one of the best characters the franchise ever produced, but there were times where she could be infuriating.

And that's fine. :) I see nothing wrong with that.

I did watch that scene. And I didn't buy it. All I could think about was how much better it could be.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,048
    Medals:
  7. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,272
    I think so too. I suspect the switch took place before the end of season 1, but the writers wrote Sable as mostly villain early on and Frankie as mostly the good one, very much a repeat of the Blake/Alexis/Krystle triangle just at an earlier stage of the process, with the marriage disintegrating. Esther Shapiro had said as much at an early interview (I believe it was in the coverage leading up to the premiere of the show). I think it is to the credit of the writing team that they recognized Beecham brought something to the role not on the page, which is nuance, and calibrated accordingly. Frankie, on the other hand, was just a nuisance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,485
    Medals:
    I remember someone once described Emily Thorne from REVENGE as a nuisance and it cracked me up. And yes, Frankie was also a nuisance.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,144
    Medals:
    Sable wasn't villainous for trying to save her marriage (and her status of Mrs Jason Colby, as she pointed out to Arthur Cates) and this is why many fans tend to root for Sable, eventhough she participated in the destruction of that marriage - at the same time that Frankie was lured back to California.
    But some storylines ended, Barbara Stanwyck left the show so that was the end of the Sable-Constance feud. And even Sable understood that it would be useless to try to exile Jeff when he turned out to be Jason's son.
    The battle continued with the grandchild competition and Sable got more involved with the Cassidys (or is it Cassidies?)
    I like both seasons but I think I prefer season 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,239
    Medals:
    I'm certainly learning a lot about the perils of flat-lighting on this thread.

• Funny Funny x 6
  11. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,485
    Medals:
    Yes, it's quite illuminating isn't it?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,048
    Medals:
    Yes. Look what comes of it! :lol:

13. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,272
    Yes! (in emphatic Blake voice). That is the danger of flat-lighting: it disrupts focus.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,718
    Medals:
    All these COLBYS clips do remind me, much to my infuriation, of how much more posh the show looked than DYNASTY.

And that's almost about flat-lighting, isn't it??

One could only wonder what could have been if only Bast & Huson had worked on DYNASTY during, and after, THE COLBYS.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Majorfanofshow

Majorfanofshow Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Dark shows and movies were bashed by lots of people/critics/ even cinematography experts. You should light so viewers see. Spelling wanted to sell opulence too! So he needed to show all the opulence! Everything contributed to dynasty being number one so it can be justified

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,718
    Medals:
    Amazing analysis.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,239
    Medals:
    Yeah, I with you on this one Ked. I don't buy it either. They have no chemistry. Certainly compared to Jason and Sable.

• Agree Agree x 2