Southfork Ranch

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by pete lashmar, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,018
    Medals:
    Southfork was up for grabs between 1990 and 1992. One wonders why Lorimar didn't snatch it up, an investment in a prospective tourist attraction.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +908
    That ranch is just as much a character in it's own right just like the various Ewing family members.

Take away that ranch, Duncan Acres, or Southfork as it is more widely known as & Dallas would be nothing with out it. :(

3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,710
    You're absolutely right. The home and surrounding lands were just as important as the characters. A recent re-watch of Lorimar Dallas shows the producers took great care in exploiting that ranch. This added to the rich tapestry that was Dallas.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +806
    Medals:
    There is one more thing very nice about Southfork. The offices and restaurants can be all glitz and glamour.
    But Southfork was more down to home.

To put a finer point on it: I'd be more comfortable spending time at Southfork than spending time at the offices or the upscale restaurants.

Does that make sense to you?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,710
    I'd be very comfortable on that ranch as I grew up on my grandparents farm. Riding horses. Assisting my grandfather at the dairy farm. Great memories. But being wealthy like the Ewing family would require to attend meetings to generate even more millions. This, of course, helps to pay for that exquisite meal at one of the finer restaurants in Dallas. And I'll have that Cabernet Sauvignon from the Falcon Crest Estate thank you.

6. Lastkidpicked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +806
    Medals:
    Every time I see the words Falcon Crest, that wonderful theme song thunders in my ears.

Just like the theme to Dallas, preceeded by the announcer saying,

"Next on CBS: J.R. Ewing, the man you love to hate!"

Good times. . .

• Like Like x 2
  7. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I’ve nearly visited twice, but chickened out when contemplating the exorbitant air fares from the UK. For the experience to be really authentic it would have to have to be bathed in that slightly garrish overly lit 35mm sheen and have a Richard Lewis Warren score piped from speakers hidden in the patio shrubbery. Southfork will probably always just linger in the memory as a kind of dream.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,522
    Medals:
    My guess is that he is buried next to his first wife Amy. But not on the Southern Cross Ranch since they did sell it. I think there is a scene in an episode where Clayton had lost his memory (it was during the Salzburg-Austria episodes) where Clayton visited his first wife's grave. She was buried on a graveyard in the city where the Southern Cross was located. I can't remember the town though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lastkidpicked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +806
    Medals:
    I want to encourage you (all of you on here) to come out to Texas on one of your vacations.

Some of the great moderators and managers of this site have come out to Southfork, and have told us great stories about it.

I would also like to encourage you to rent a pickup truck and just drive around for a day or two. One of my favorite things is noticing the shooting locations. If you drive through Dawson County you can stop at the Akerly gas station for a soda and look out at the fields, thinking "This is where Ewing 23 was located."

[​IMG]

When you stop in at Tyler Texas, you can think, "Here I am, halfway between Southfork and Takapa."
    upload_2019-4-9_15-38-34.jpeg

And why not stop at the Fort Worth Livestock Exchange? It's still there.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,018
    Medals:
    Ahhh, those old Sinclair stations.