1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

South Asian Floods Kill 1200 - Does Anyone Care?

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Angela Channing, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,358
    Medals:
    Heavy monsoon rains have brought Mumbai to a halt as the worst floods to strike south Asia in years continued to cause havoc. More than 1,200 people have died across India, Bangladesh and Nepal as a result of flooding, with 40 million affected by the devastation.

However, does anyone actually care?

Contrast the response to the hurricane and flooding in Texas. Queen Elizabeth II was quick to issue a statement following the hurricane and flooding in Texas. In it she said she was "deeply saddened" by the devastation caused by Hurricane Harvey. "Prince Philip and I send our sincere condolences to the victims of this disaster, to those who have lost loved ones, and to those who have seen their homes and property destroyed. My thoughts and prayers are with those affected." I've not seen any statement from her regarding the floods in South Asia even though it has impacted severely on Commonwealth countries, of which she is the head.

The UK news media covered the Texas flooding extensively but the situation in South Asia barely gets a look in. I guess when there is sympathy to dish out, lives in Asia count less than those in America.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,739
    Medals:
    Well, the world cared about the 2004 tsunami. But that had to kill a quarter of a million people, including some in resort towns.

3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,756
    Medals:
    When it comes to Asia and Africa, people and media just don't seem to give a rat's behind. I find myself caring equally most of the time, which I am thankful for. But I don't often get the chance to care about disasters in Asia or Africa because media can't even care enough to write a few sentences. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,811
    Medals:
    Perhaps people expect these things to happen in those ungodly, doomed places.

5. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,756
    Medals:
    Oh dear, if people have such expectations they are pretty darn ungodly and doomed themselves!! :eek::eek:

6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,358
    Medals:
    At Prime Minister's Questions today, Theresa May said her thoughts are with the people in the path of Hurricane Irma. The leader of the Opposition, Jeremy Corbyn had to remind her of the devastation that is currently affecting South Asia.

It's like the lives of South Asians don't matter to some people anywhere as much as those that live in America.