Somehow I missed this back in the day ...

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by James from London, Aug 11, 2018.

1. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,439
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    I enjoyed reading that. The best bit was the following;

2010s: He's back, aged 107, eyebrows based on Professor Dumbledore's, sex glint all model's own. He's still got it, drolly saying of a rival: "Time has not been kind to that face, but I do recall the smell of brimstone and crazy."

Of course they're talking about good 'ole JR. A real pity it took so long for the TNT version to hit our screens. From conception to pilot episode to an order of 10 episodes it was something like 2 years. JR still had that twinkle in his eye and a character like him had been sorely missed on television. A shame the finished product turned out to be a dog's breakfast because viewers were still interested in the Ewing family. I believe there is still an audience itching to catch up with televisions first family if only a continuation was handled properly.

:)

3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,861
    I think the article only refers to season 1, so I wonder if the reviewer has changed his mind about Sue Ellen.
    Not that I think that new Dallas has to be better, it just has to be good - and it was.

As for the family feud, brother vs. brother versus cousin vs. cousin:
    New Dallas had the advantage of JR, Bobby, Cliff and Sue Ellen being a part of our history, whereas Jock, Digger and Miss Ellie had already lived that whole life before Old Dallas started.
    And Dallas never had that sense of history that (for example) Dynasty had.
    Therefore this whole generations thing felt much more significant on new Dallas, although one could argue that this was matter-of-fact rather than an idea created by the writers.
    But I think they've handled it very properly.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    An interesting take there Willie. If anything I thought Dallas displayed more history than Dynasty especially since we had the 3 hour, Dallas: The Early Years, which I really liked. As for the "generations thing" I honestly thought TNT Dallas could have exploited this further instead of using the character of Miss Ellie and Southfork to retrofit some ludicrous story to suit the writers of TNT Dallas.

I'll admit I lost faith in Dynasty after season 4 or 5 (cannot remember exactly) so I'm unfamiliar if they toyed with the idea of showcasing the backstory. Like some here on Soapchat I thought Dynasty is the kind of series screaming out for a prequel similar to what Richard has been creating with his trailers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,861
    We know what that history was, but there wasn't much room for more.

Watching Dynasty, it doesn't take a lot of imagination how the tentacles of that dynasty-octopus could spread wider and wider, especially with (mostly) unused characters like Tom Carrington, Andrew Colby and the Morell and Scott families - and also the supporting characters (the Moldavians, the De Vilbis dynasty etc etc).
    Where and when did it all begin? We still don't know, because there's always another door to be openend.
    That's what I meant with sense of history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I thought the reunion between JR and Cliff was rather lame.