1. Used to think that life was sweet

Used to think we were so complete

I can't believe you'd throw it away

2. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Countdown Solo Spice

Discussion in 'Music' started by James from London, May 29, 2019.

1. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,532
    Medals:
    God knows why, but yesterday I typed "solo Spice Girls songs ranked" into Google and came up with a bunch of different 'best of' lists made by various journalists and bloggers and nutters, plus one based on sales, all of which varied wildly, and I totted them all up and combined them all into one (again, no idea why). There are 53 songs altogether, but as the bottom eighteen is quite Sporty-heavy, probably cos she's made the most records, I've made it a Top 35. I'll post it a bit at a time, just to drag out the "excitement."

#controversial #no-onecares

35. I'll Be There - BABY (the best of the bottom five by a country mile)

34. A Mind of its Own - POSH

[​IMG]

33. Think About it - SPORTY

[​IMG]

32. Ride it - GINGER

[​IMG]

31. Lullaby - SCARY

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,822
    I always thought Sporty had the best voice, Ginger made the best pop music and Scary was kinda okay. I could never decide who I thought had the weaker voice between Posh and Baby.

Nevertheless, I'm going to enjoy watching this story unfold. I have no idea who will come top, or which songs end up in the top ten...:popcorn:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,532
    Medals:
    I think Baby makes the best records, I've developed a fascination for Posh's solo stuff similar to the one I have for Michael Jackson's later recordings (when he'd gone completely mad), I've decided to try and forgive Ginger for not being the sharpest tool in the box, and I've always quite liked the other two.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,743
    Medals:
    Sporty's voice gives me headaches. I don't know why, but it's a thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,090
    Medals:
    Contradictory as it sounds, I actually agree with both these statements. Mel C. does have the strongest voice of the group, in my opinion. But I bought Stages a few years ago and found I couldn't tolerate it. Even though I really wanted to.

She has a Belinda Carlisle vibrato thing going on which sounds like she's singing while using one of those vibrating belt exercise machines (albeit on a low setting).

[​IMG]

Yes indeed. Schizophonic had some real classics.

I have a similar relationship with Lisa Scott-Lee from Steps.

I'm not sure if I've even heard any of her solo stuff.

I like Emma's retro vibe and a lot of her material, but her performances have more smiling, cooing and nose wrinkling than I'm comfortable with.

Wonderful. That bodes well for this thread.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,532
    Medals:
    Because I keep thinking there's an extra member of the group I've forgotten about (Phantom Spice, maybe), I didn't realise at first that Numbers 31-35 features one song apiece from each of the Spices, which is kind of nice-spice.

The next five involve two Spices only.

BUT WHICH ONES? (Clue: @Emelee and @Mel O'Drama might want to put some cotton wool in their ears)

30. Next Best Superstar - SPORTY (I hadn't heard this before; I really like it)

29. Downtown - BABY (very nice, but so similar to the original it feels a bit like it's cheating)

[​IMG]

28. We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight - BABY

[​IMG]

27. Rock Me - SPORTY

[​IMG]

26. Take My Breath Away - BABY

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,090
    Medals:
    Ooh - that's nice!!

For whatever it's worth I especially enjoy the non-rhotic sound at the end of the word "superstar".

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,116
    Medals:
    Mel C's voice is easily the strongest and I don't think Victoria can sing at ALL. I still would have liked to have seen her in the reunion tour though. :)

9. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,532
    Medals:
    25-21: All the Spices are again in attendance: Nice Spice!

25. All I Need to Know - BABY

[​IMG]

24. Melt - SPORTY

[​IMG]

23. Don't Disturb the Groove - Jim Jones featuring POSH

[​IMG]

22. Calling - GINGER (this is a lovely surprise from Dumb as a Box of Hair Spice, sounding not unlike Madonna Spice.)

21. Tell Me - SCARY

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,116
    Medals:
    I had a college tutor who used to say exactly the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,090
    Medals:
    I like. It has a very innocent Sixties vibe to me. I could imagine Sandie Shaw or Petula Clark singing it.

The melody of the verses reminds me very much of another song and my brain can't quite make it click. I've been da da-ing the tune trying to bring it to mind, but somehow keep segueing into either the ballad version of Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee (which isn't what I'm thinking of at all) or Like An Angel Passing Through My Room (which I don't think is what I had in mind either).

On the plus side, when googling to see if it's based on another song I stumbled upon this Frenglish version:

:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,148
    Medals:
    I'm enjoying this tread. I have always thought that the Spice Girls were something better than the sum of their parts. There was something about them that was so much greater than the limited amount of talent that was in the group. I'm not being mean by the way, just trying to describe how I have always felt about them, as a sort of fan. I mean they had some wonderful pop songs, so that was a draw to me back in the day. It wasn't until years later that I discovered that Biff Stannard wrote most of my favourite Spice Girls songs. I think it's safe to say that he was perhaps the biggest draw for me towards the group and I never even knew it at the time. He is I guess, that Phantom Spice of which you speak. The spice that holds it all together. For those that don't know he's a fantastic pop songwriter who also has written some of my favourite Kylie songs ever.

Anyways, back to the group. Yes, Mel C has the best voice of them all. She was in fact the first ever proper concert I ever went to. In the Waterfront in Belfast. Fresh off her I Turn To You mega fame. She was absolutely amazing, sang the entire set 100% live with just a little band. She didn't have any dancers, she didn't have any costume changes, it was just her and a band on stage and she sang the shit out of everything. It was a smallish venue too which was nice and I was quite close to the front, so there was a definite connection in seeing her so close. She definitely has the strongest voice, but it can also grate if not used right or if there is just too much belt. She'll always be my favourite vocalist from the group and she makes a lot of their recordings what they are.

However Geri just is the Spice Girls to me. @James from London's noting that she sounds not unlike an attempt at Madonna on Calling You is very much accurate. I have always thought that Geri was using Madonna as a blue print to a pop career, as well as inspiration for her daughters name apparently. Sadly it all went wrong very fast. Probably because she's just not quite as clever as Madonna is/was. Her voice is always one I have liked despite it's limitations. It can sound brash and brassy or it can sound low, husky and sultry and she could really do cheeky pop girl very well. Her voice actually reminded me a lot of Madonna's at times, and I am sure that was 100% intentional on her part. There's joking around about her not being the sharpest tool in the box. However she was the ballsiest in the group. Perhaps the biggest personality, the best when it came to branding and image and PR. All very Madonna like traits. Despite her limited vocal abilities she was always the most heard in interviews. Always the most gobby and willing to share her opinion. Regardless of how bullshitty that opinion was.
    Her Schizophonic album is wonderful. I remember at the time thinking it sounded like a best of. It was Geri's Immaculate Collection and it was only her first album. My God... How could she be so great. Look At Me, Bag It Up, Mi Chico Latino, Lift Me Up were all actual stone cold hits. Her debut single was #2 followed by four #1's in a row. I think people forget that about her. She could have been amazing. Sadly it all went tits up with her second album. Of course Raining Men was #1, but it was awful and pointless and was only a hit because of Bridget Jones. There just weren't any big hits on her second album, her vocals sounded awful. No longer endearing, instead just annoying. Things never recovered. However she will forever always be my very favourite Spice Girl. Viva Forever Ginger.

Emma was a perfectly serviceable pop girl. She had absolutely no attitude or spark for me though. She was a bit like a French Fancy, pink and creamy and sickly sweet. I never quite got that strange '60s retro vibe she went for. I never cared about Anamaria's Crickets and if I wanted to go Downtown I'd do it with Petula Clark. Her voice sounded like the gentle breeze whispering through the voiles of somebody's balcony doors in the south of France. It's nice but I wont be buying any of it. I did however really like her debut single with Tin Tin Out and the song What Took You So Long. I was more there for that than the '60s gogo boots pop babe.

I used to not like Victoria. I always found her a bit of a sulky cow with no sense of humour. She's a pretty dreadful vocalist. Her parts on Spice Girls songs are actually just speaking in rhythm aren't they? I didn't really like her sort of clubby solo stuff probably because to be a club diva kind of singer you need to be able to sing. There was always this voice inside of me saying 'That's not her" when she was wearing silly sunglasses and speak-singing about being out of your mind with Dane Bowers. I don't think I was wrong. She's not a singer now and I actually really like her and find her funny when I see her on TV.

And now we come to Mel B. What can I say? Not a lot that's kind, so I wont say much at all.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,148
    Medals:
    This is gorgeous! Thanks.
    Now I am remembering a conversation with you on the old forum about Calling You and what song the verses sounded like. I think we got it, now we'll never know.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,116
    Medals:
    Oh my God lol There was a quote attached to this - it was my college tutor hated Sporty's voice :eck:

15. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,090
    Medals:
    Great to hear that you and Sporty had a moment, Alexis. And it was probably the most exciting time to see her.

Oh yes, absolutely. The Look At Me video is pure Madonna. She started her solo career as she meant to go on.

I'd agree. When she has the right material she sounds really good. I've always liked her lower register (ooh-er) where she can sound uncannily like Marilyn Monroe (another one with a limited range who sounded really good with the right material).

Oh my. That's very evocative and poetic. I'm in feelings now.

Glad it's a hit with you, Alexis.

Gosh - we've covered so much ground over the years I don't think I can even remember that conversation. Damn Brexit for blowing up the old forum.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,863
    Medals:
    The summer-ish seventies sound reminds me of artists like Joe Dassin and Michel Fugain, or one of those lovely soundtrack tunes like Love Story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,743
    Medals:
    I knew I couldn't be the only one!!!! Something in her voice triggers headaches for some people. It has to be a fact.

18. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,148
    Medals:
    About a year or so ago I had this stuck in my head at work and it was like every day for a few weeks. I wasn't really a fan of it at the time. It's a testament to the power of Smash Hits and The Box music channel that I remember all the bloody lyrics all these years later when I never bought the album or single or anything of Posh's solo career.

I sometimes wonder what I could have done with my life if I had used the part of my brain that remembers song lyrics for a better purpose. Like literally thousands of lyrics, I know off by heart, from the '80s and '90s especially but also shit loads of stuff from the '50s, '60s and '70s.

• Like Like x 1
  19. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,532
    Medals:
    And now I can hear it too! I find myself wanting to sing the "Baby I want you ..." line from 'Could It Be Magic', but I don't quite think that's quite it either.

That is lush. Lush Spice!

That's so interesting. I am gonna be googling the heckins of Biff Stannard.

Music aside, I think the main difference between them is that Madonna invariably has something to say, however simplistic or unoriginal that may be at times. Ginger Spice so doesn't. She just opens her gob and nonsense spills out like there's still four other girls speaking at the same time but they've somehow had their microphones turned down and she's the only one you can hear. Back in the day, when she was United Nations Spice and it appeared people were actually listening to her, it was quite troubling, and anything to do with her just made me shudder. Now she's Ridiculous But Harmless Spice, it's mostly just funny, and it means I can finally hear her songs with an open mind.

Lovely description - and I guess why Baby is my Favourite Spice!

Now that Posh's solo career has been all but airbrushed out of existence, it's taken on a kind of intriguing, exotic quality for me. Whenever I hear an example of it, I think, "Wow, it actually happened!"

Somewhere along the line, Scary has become Underdog Spice, which endears her to me enormously.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,148
    Medals:
    Yes totally. Like I said, it's like she studied Madonna and thought that she had to be like her and be this person with something to say. Only, Geri never really had anything of any relevance to say. It didn't stop her saying it as loud as she possibly could though. Bless her heart, I think that's what endeared me to her in the first place. That and when she quit the group and against everyone's expectations actually became a stonking great success (however briefly) and looked like a stunning great sex bomb with her shiny new hair extensions robbed off of some poor Russian lady.
    It's like I have went down a rabbit hole back to 1999 and am in my room looking at a massive door sized poster of her from the Bag It Up video. While reading Smash Hits and learning all the lyrics to songs by pop groups that will have a career that will last approximately 26 days and they will achieve a peak chart position of 12 and then never be heard of again. Simpler times. Great times.

• Like Like x 1