Soap series based on movies / novels

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Willie Oleson, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,192
    Medals:
    We all know Peyton Place, but I wonder if there were other titles that might have worked as a TV series?

[​IMG]
    I've never seen this movie, but it seems to be a dysfunctional rich-family saga.

The Long Hot Summer was remade as a mini-series in the 1980s, but there was another series in the 1960s. According to IMDB, these were stand-alone episodes instead of a serialized drama.
    Do you think this story could work in today's TV landscape? Without a supernatural/horror theme?

I've always thought that the automobile-dynasty from the Harold Robbins' movie The Betsy could have been the inspiration for another soap series.
    [​IMG]
    (I think I would change the title).

??

• Like Like x 1
  2. E-JULIAN

E-JULIAN Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +135
    [​IMG]

From the moment I saw this movie in the eighties I found it a curious mix of DALLAS and DYNASTY, so I think it could make a great soap-series. This is the plot:

Self-destructive, alcoholic nymphomaniac Marylee (Dorothy Malone) and her insecure, alcoholic playboy brother Kyle (Robert Stack) are the children of Texas oil baron Jasper Hadley (Robert Keith). Spoiled by their inherited wealth and crippled by their personal demons, neither is able to sustain a personal relationship.

Problems ensue after Kyle's impulsive marriage to New York City executive secretary Lucy Moore (Lauren Bacall), who becomes a steadying influence to his life through the first few months after they meet. Kyle resumes drinking after being unsuccessful in fathering a baby. He turns against his childhood friend, Marylee's long-time infatuation, Mitch Wayne (Rock Hudson), a geologist for the oil company. Kyle's anger and depression grow after the death of his father, who admires Mitch but is disgusted with the behavior of his two heirs.

Mitch is secretly in love with Lucy. He keeps these feelings private until Kyle, having been diagnosed with a low sperm count, physically assaults Lucy when she announces her pregnancy, wrongly assuming it to be the result of adultery with Mitch. Lucy's fall results in a miscarriage. Mitch vows to leave town with her as soon as she's well enough to travel. On his return, a drunken Kyle recovers a hidden pistol and intends to shoot Mitch. Marylee struggles with her brother for the weapon, but it accidentally fires, killing him.

Repeatedly spurned by the man she claims to love, a spiteful Marylee threatens to implicate Mitch in Kyle's death. At the inquest, she first testifies that he killed her sibling. But she tearfully redeems herself at the last second by admitting the truth. Mitch and Lucy depart, leaving Marylee to mourn the death of her brother and run the company alone.

Above all we've an oil empire dynasty here, from Texas. Hadley Oil... Kyle (Blake) marries secretary Lucy (Krystle). Mitch, a geologist and friend of Kyle (like Matthew) is secretly in love with Lucy. Marylee makes me think about season 2 Fallon (an spoiled nymphomaniac rich girl madly in love with Nick Toscani).

What do you think?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,192
    Medals:
    I think I want to see Dorothy Malone as a self-destructive, alcoholic nymphomaniac!
    :thank:

Yes, with additional characters and plotlines, I can see this as a soap series.

4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,623
    Medals:
    Love Is A Many Splendored Thing was originally a film involving an interracial romance (male American doctor and a female Chinese doctor), and someone at ABC decided to develop a daytime soap around the premise (and using the same title) in the late 1960s. They started the show with a Korean woman in love with two American men, but I'm guessing that whole premise didn't play well because eventually they retooled the show to be a more mainstream soap. Most notably, Leslie Charleson (now Dr. Monica Quartermaine on General Hospital) played Iris Donelley, and Donna Mills (yes, THAT Donna Mills) played Iris's younger sister Laura, who was a nun (!!) when first introduced. The show only lasted about five years.

NBC attempted to go back to the well one too many times with Return to Peyton Place, a daytime soap that tried to continue the plots of the primetime series (rather than tie itself to the feature film titled Return to Peyton Place). They managed to snag a few of the actors from the primetime series, but so many were missing that it was a pale imitation. It lasted less than two years. One notable thing about this series, though, was the inclusion of Selena Cross in the stories. This character was considered too controversial to be included in either of the feature films despite being a major part of the novel.

5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,192
    Medals:
    They did that with North & South too. A main character from the novel (Cooper Main, ha-ha) was omitted from the first 2 mini-series, but he featured in North & South: Book III.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,546
    Medals:
    Giant is one that sticks out as a major influence on Dallas and Dynasty, in a similar vein to how Written On The Wind was. It's premise could've been a standalone soap.

While I found the film a bit boring, The Carpetbaggers had all the elements of a soapy family saga. Some have pointed out that Titans is basically a riff on the Carpetbaggers setup, with the heir to the family fortune being lusted after by his young stepmother.

I love this film in a "so bad it's good kind of way" but it basically could've been the pilot for a racier, European version of Dynasty. Carol Alt, Billy Zane, Alexandra Paul, Lauren Hutton and Florinda Bolkan drank, snorted and shagged their way through a family crisis as they battled for power in the wake of the family patriarch taking ill. Here's the Italian trailer but the whole thing can be found on YouTube too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,756
    Medals:
    MILDRED PIERCE was quite soapy, with noir-ish undertones.
    I'm rather suprised that it wasn't turned into a mini series in the 80s,

IMITATION OF LIFE is also very soapy, then again its a Douglas Sirk film.

• Like Like x 1