Soap Scheduling in Your Country

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Carrie Fairchild, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,821
    Medals:
    I think it's telling that the last attempt to get UK viewers to watch a US soap was when The Bold and the Beautiful was made available for free via a dedicated YouTube channel for UK fans. And still nobody watched it!

I think soaps in general have very little repeat value and can be a minefield to get cleared, so the best we can hope for are "best of" compilations in the style of the Sons and Daughters DVD's from a few years back.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,301
    Medals:
    Many European countries have their own daytime soaps, so there's not a gap that needs to be filled. I also think that the European soaps have more sense of place and identity i.e. British people like to watch British people in British houses, streets etc.
    From the little I've seen of the US daytime soaps I think that, apart from the American accent, they don't have a particular American atmosphere (unlike the prime time soaps, when Europeans got the opportunity to drool over America's greatness and opulence).
    Yes, TB&TB was popular in Holland too, for more than 10 years at least, but personally I don't think these shows have much to offer.
    Maybe the 1960s and 70s episodes were more interesting? I don't know...

Having said that, I'd love to see the first year of CAPITOL, starring Carolyn Jones as Myrna Clegg.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,821
    Medals:
    You're spot on there Willie. On the surface, Guiding Light, Days, ATWT, OLTL and Another World all look interchangeable to me. General Hospital was at least set in a hospital and while repetitive as hell, B&B was identifiable by the fact that it mostly focused on one family. I think The City is the only US soap I've seen where you got some sort of realistic feel for the place that it was set in.

I had a bit of a Capitol binge a while back. It's premise was unique and the cast was quite good. And what a cliffhanger to go out on! I have read posts from people saying that the political angle was kind of restrictive though because they couldn't really be topical in regard to real life Washington because of how far ahead it was filmed. Still the political backdrop was different from anything else that was on air at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,301
    Medals:
    It also has a lot to do with timing and other factors. Cause The Bold and the Beautiful is very popular in countries like Italy. If a show doesn't hit (begin) at the right time, no one will bother. That's a reason why I don't think Dallas would have ever gotten as popular as it did if it had begun airing in 2002 for example.
    These days, what seems to work the best is fantasy/sci-fi. Both on TV and in movies.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +70
    In Germany, the Bold and the Beautiful still had good ratings when ZDF cancelled the show in 2011. They always had ~ 1 million viewers. However, ZDF wanted to restructure their program and B&B just didn't fit in anymore.

But yes, we also have our own soaps, and they are not shown during daytime, but in early primetime. Over the years, various soaps have come and gone, but 3 shows remained, and they're shown at 5.30 pm (Unter uns), 7 pm (Alles was zählt) and 7.40 pm (Gute Zeiten, Schlechte Zeiten), respectively. They're still going strong as of today, and all three have their own identity: UU takes place in an apartment house where all the protagonists live, AWZ features a big company and sports as its main theme, and GZSZ is about a group of people living in a district in Berlin. Over the years, production values have improved so much that they're pretty much comparable to any primetime show.

I always found American daytime soaps to be very static. People just stand around and talk the same dialogue for ages, filled with overdramatic long pauses and stares. At least that was my impression from watching B&B and Y&R.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,301
    Medals:
    Our most popular Dutch soap, "Goede Tijden, Slechte Tijden" also airs at 20:00, but it's definitely the daytime soap format.
    LOL. Who could ever forget the Stephanie vs. Brooke stare-battles with the "dramatic" frowns and raised eyebrows?