1. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

Soap Scheduling in Your Country

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Carrie Fairchild, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,811
    Medals:
    This is kind of random but it's this sort of useless info that I often find interesting. I've seen in various threads, people talk about when the different soaps were screened in their home country - what was popular, what wasn't popular and what was dumped unceremoniously. In an age where we watch most of our TV online, it's interesting (to me at least) to see how each of these huge shows were scheduled back in the day. Even in the US, from what I can gather, the local stations were able to move shows around the schedules (I've seen a Dynasty promo for a New York station that didn't air it until 11pm).

Anyway, here's the info for Ireland. We were kind of spoiled with our access to TV because as well as our own terrestrial stations, we also had the Sky satellite service and for those of us that lived on the east coast or the border area, we had access to all of the UK channels too. So at any given point, you could have two or even three channels showing your favourite show, at differing points in the storyline.

DALLAS
    The most popular of all of the US primetime soaps among Irish audiences. For the bulk of (if not the entirety) of it's run, Dallas aired in a Saturday night 9pm/9.30pm slot on the country's main channel (RTE One) as the lead in for one of the country's flagship chat shows at the time (Kenny Live). It's airings more or less followed the same timeline as US airings, a few weeks/months after their US premiere.

KNOTS LANDING
    Knots didn't show up on Irish screens until 1989, ten years after it's US debut. It originally aired in the afternoons on RTE One, five days a week, in the style of a daytime soap. It proved popular, so it was moved to a primetime slot in the early 90's (usually 9pm) on sister channel RTE Two. They aired all remaining episodes continuously with no break between seasons.

DYNASTY & FALCON CREST
    Both started in primetime slots on the main channel RTE One before being transferred to sister channel RTE Two as their popularity waned. Their airings were slightly behind the US as they were both still premiering new episodes in Ireland into the early 90's.

All of the above plus The Colbys had back to back repeat runs on RTE One in the late 90's in a 10.30am daytime slot. It's here that I watched most of them for the first time. I'm unsure of the details of The Colbys original run but presumably it aired in primetime like the rest of them.

BEVERLY HILLS 90210
    Started in primetime on the now rebranded Network Two, airing in a 7pm/8pm slot during the week. It was soon dumped into the doldrums of Sunday afternoons, being moved or postponed often, depending on which Grand Prix or football match was on. I'm not even sure if it made it to the end of it's run on Irish terrestrial TV or if they just dumped it.

MELROSE PLACE
    A late addition to Irish TV, Melrose showed up in a late night slot on Tuesday nights on Network Two in the late 90's. It never aired any earlier than 11pm and was often pushed further into late night by football coverage or films or anything else. Nevertheless, it often cracked the Top 20 ratings for that channel despite it's moveable timeslot. They adopted the same approach to airing MP as they did with Knots - back to back without breaks between seasons and the whole show was aired in it's entirety.

SAVANNAH
    Savannah was something of a big deal when it initially aired in Ireland (and the UK). It was heavily promoted and aired in a primetime 9.30pm, post news slot, on RTE One. I think there were "younger Dynasty for the 90's" vibes being given off from it but it didn't really catch on and season two was dumped in a later slot.

PACIFIC PALISADES
    This showed up as late night filler sometime in 1999 / 2000 on Ireland's newest channel at the time, TV3. I recall it airing around midnight / 1am and being excited to see it as I'd heard Joan Collins talk about it in a radio interview, even though she described it as being "really awful, even though it was Aaron Spelling". She wasn't wrong.

DALLAS TNT
    RTE One was the home of the original but they were either outbid for it or more likely, weren't bothered with the revival. It aired on the country's third place channel TV3 instead where it was shown at 10pm for the first two seasons. I'd stopped watching by this point but I'm pretty sure it was dumped in a late night slot for season three (midnight or later). Had season four happened, who knows where it would've ended up.

If you didn't have access to Sky Television in the 90's/00's, Irish audiences missed out on (or were spared) Models Inc, Central Park West and Titans.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,213
    Medals:
    DALLAS: Thursday evening (22:00, I think) on Belgian tv channel BRT.
    The first 6 or 7 seasons were also broadcast on Dutch channel AVRO, but I didn't watch those episodes.
    We were always a year behind the US episodes (every tv show!)

DYNASTY: Started on Sunday evenings (20:00 or 21:00), broadcast by VERONICA.
    I had to record most episodes because my father watched football:mad: and I watched the video the next day before I went to school (otherwise I wouldn't be able to discuss the latest developments with the other kids).
    Was replaced with Miami Vice:rolleyes:, but the Dutch people protested and Dynasty returned on Wednesday afternoons.

FALCON CREST: Not sure, but it always reminds me of Saturday evenings (TROS)
    Cancelled after season 3, replaced with Hart To Harto_O
    I continued with the terribly dubbed episodes on German channel ART (or maybe it was ZDF), but I had missed most of season 4 anyway.
    Falcon Crest returned to Dutch tv in 1995-ish, on RTL4. I still have the tapes with all the season finale episodes (and those commercials look so vintage now!)
    And then a few years later they showed the whole series again.

HOWARDS' WAY: Wednesday afternoon (VARA)

SONS & DAUGHTERS: Weekdays at 19:00 (first on Dutch channel TROS, then Belgian channel BRT)

THE COLBYS: Only the first season, on Belgian-French channel RTBF1. (dubbed in French, but I had to watch it anyway).

SAVANNAH: RTL4 (I think) on Saturday evenings (21:00)
    In those days I spent many weekends in Amsterdam and I was afraid my parents forgot to record the episodes, or accidentally recorded something else, or the wrong time.
    I'll never forget those moments when I pressed PLAY, only to find out they had recorded a boring reportage instead.
    Therefore I asked the hostess of the hotel if she would turn on the tv, and we have watched many Savannah episodes together.

TNT DALLAS: Tuesday evenings (21:30 or 22:00, after REVENGE).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,811
    Medals:
    Thanks Willie. It's stuff like this that I find quite interesting. That a show like Dynasty, which is appointment TV in some countries, ends up being used as daytime filler in others.

4. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Medals:
    They were outbid by TV3 who went all out to secure the rights.

Season 3 aired Monday nights at 10pm.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,811
    Medals:
    Thanks for the clarification Canon. I think I'm confusing one of the repeat airings with the premiere airings.

6. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,213
    Medals:
    Although it had nothing to do with the show's popularity.
    In those days we only had 3 Dutch channels (until the 80s there were only 2), therefore every public broadcaster had only 1 evening to air their prime time series.
    Like I said, Miami Vice was the next best thing, and that particular broadcaster (VERONICA) wanted to be associated with "cool" and "daring".
    They had planned to discontinue Dynasty after season 5 (!!), but thanks to the overwhelming response they felt obliged to air the rest of the series. But not on prime time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,811
    Medals:
    I see. We'd only two channels in Ireland until the mid 90's too. However, there was a serious lack of homegrown programming (particularly scripted drama & comedy) so our schedules were full of American, British and Australian programming.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,275
    Medals:
    I don't remember any timeslots.

Dallas
    Started Friday 30 January 1981 in Sweden, on SVT (public service channel). They broadcasted every episode. Dallas is without a doubt the most popular primetime soap in Sweden.

Falcon Crest
    Started in 1982, on SVT.

Dynasty
    SVT broadcasted seasons 1-3 before cancelling it - they felt 2 soaps were enough. In mid 90s, TV4 bought in Dynasty and broadcasted it. (They also bought in Dallas reruns.)

The Colbys
    Never been broadcasted in Sweden

Knots Landing
    Tv3 broadcasted a bit of it, starting in 1988, but dropped it after a while. Never got popular over here.

Melrose Place
    Broadcasted on TV3 in the 90s. Not everyone had TV3 during this time because it required a satellite disc. TV4 aired reruns of it.

Beverly Hills 90210
    TV4, beginning in 1991.

Savannah and Pasific Palisades was on Tv4.

Central Park West was on TV3.

Models inc & Malibu Shores were on TV4, I believe. I'm not completely sure of it though.

What's interesting though is that The Bold and the Beautiful has been broadcasted at 7 p.m. in the 90s on Kanal 5 (or 'Nordic Channel' as it was called back then). Then it was moved to daytime. But for the past 10 years or so, it's at the 6 p.m. timeslot on Sjuan.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,297
    Medals:
    Thanks for the info @Emelee.

By the time I began watching Dallas in 1991 it was on Saturday Nights at 9 p.m. It was later moved to Saturday Nights at 10 p.m. for the last season in 1993. I remember since my parents let me stay up past my bedtime to watch it. :)

It was later shown in reruns on TV4 in between 1994 to 1996. At first it was on at 3.40 p.m. School was out 3.30 p.m. that year so I just made it home in time to watch it. :)

Falcon Crest was on Friday nights I think.

Beverly Hills was on Sundays around 5 or 6ish I think. We often had dinner while watching it.

Dynasty was also rerun by TV3 in 1995-1996.

Knots Landing was also rerun in 1996-1997 on TV3 but only up until Val's babies were kidnapped and found. So I was stuck on that cliffhanger for three years until a friend in England copied some episodes on VHS for me!

Oh yeah I agree with that. I mean the fact that 1,4 million viewers tuned in to watch the first episode of the new Dallas in august 2012 in a country that only has 10 million people speaks volumes. ;)

It was on TV4 Wednesdays at 9 p.m. for the first season. Then moved to channel 7 and bumped to 10 p.m. after that stupid baking reality tv show. The ratings kept plumeting.

But it's been shown in reruns on TV4, twice, first around midnight and then around noon. So maybe they got complaints from people who don't have channel 7.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,811
    Medals:
    Knots Landing seems to have been treated as the poor relation in quite a few countries. @Emelee and @Karin Schill I read on Wikipedia that the show was called the rather clunky title of "JR's Brother - Gary Ewing" when it first aired in Sweden? No wonder people weren't that enticed by it. Was it commonplace for US series to be renamed for Swedish TV? I know Knots also aired under different names in France, Italy and Germany.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,275
    Medals:
    Apparently so. I Googled it, and a person on a message board had written that it was indeed called that. :lol:

I don't know just how common it has been for series to have other titles in Sweden, just that they tend to keep the original title these days.

I know of some examples though (where they didn't just directly translate, but changed it completely):

The Bold and the Beautiful is called Glamour here.
    Days of our Lives = Våra Bästa År (Our Best Years)
    Married With Children = Våra Värsta år (Our Worst Years)
    The Young and the Restless = Makt och Begär (Power and Desire)
    Emmerdale = Hem till Gården (Home to the Farm)
    Absolutely Fabulous = Helt Hysteriskt (Completely Hysterical)

But most shows keep their title.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,275
    Medals:
    Speaking of Knots Landing... it's a rather unfortunate title in Sweden. Knott = Black Fly.
    So the title can easily be read "Black Fly Landing" :lol:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,297
    Medals:
    Yes Knots Landing was called "JR's bror" in the 1980's. My dad has some old videotapes from the 1980's marked with that name so yeah unfortunately it's true! :lolo:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Germany:

(I will only list first broadcasts, not repeats, since most shows have been repeated on various channels over the years.)

RTL had a "soap afternoon" on Saturday for years between 4 and 7 pm branded as "Young and Beautiful".

Beverly Hills, 90210 debuted in 1992. New seasons started one year after the US broadcasts, usually in the fall, the last new episode aired in the summer of 2001.

Melrose Place (1992) debuted in 1993. New seasons started one year after the US broadcasts, usually in the fall, the last new episode aired in the summer of 2000.

Models Inc., Central Park West, 2000 Malibu Road, Party of Five and Popular also ran on Saturday afternoons on RTL in various timeslots either before, between or after Beverly Hills, 90210 and Melrose Place.

Dawson's Creek started out on Sat.1 for its first 3 seasons and was then given to Pro7 for the final 3 seasons. It also aired on Saturday afternoons around 3 or 4 pm.

Pacific Palisades was shown on a now defunct pay-tv station in 1998. In 1999, it ran on Sat.1 saturdays at 5 pm.

Savannah ran on RTL2 on Sunday evenings. It was a rare exception of an US primetime soap airing during primetime in Germany.

Titans and The $treet have only been shown on pay-tv stations. Titans was first shown in 2008 on Passion, eight years after its US premiere.

7th Heaven debuted on VOX on Tuesday evenings in 1999. For its second or third season, the show moved to weekdays around 4 pm where it remained for its remaining run. For Gilmore Girls, it was the other way around: It started out weekdays at 4 pm and then switched to primetime for its 5th season. I think it aired Fridays at 8 pm.

The O.C. debuted on Pro7 in January 2005 Wednesdays at 9 pm. Because ratings were bad during the 2nd season, the show moved to Saturday afternoons for its 3rd season. The fourth and final season was shown on Sundays around noon during the summer of 2007.

One Tree Hill had the worst run: Pro7 started airing the show in 2007 on Sunday mornings. Later, they tried to establish the show weekdays in the mornings, but not for a long time. In 2010, the show moved to VOX where it was shown weekdays around 4 pm for a few weeks. Eventually, sixx aired the remaining seasons in various timeslots. I think the final season was shown during nighttime.

Desperate Housewives debuted on Pro7 in early 2005 Tuesdays at 8 pm. Because of huge competition from RTL (they showed CSI Miami in that timeslot which had better ratings than the original CSI), the Housewives moved to Wednesdays in 2007. The remaining seasons were shown in that timeslot.

Grey's Anatomy debuted on Pro7 in 2005 on Saturday afternoons. For its second season it moved to Wednesday at 8 pm and has remained there ever since. They usually show two new episodes back to back.

Brothers & Sisters debuted on Pro7 in 2007. They wanted to establish a new soap evening with Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy and Brothers & Sisters back to back. However, Brothers & Sisters flopped badly and was cancelled after 12 episodes. The remaining seasons were broadcast in the early mornings around 6 am on sixx.

Dirty Sexy Money ran on FOX (pay-tv) in 2008. In 2011, zdf.neo showed the complete series weekdays in the afternoon.

90210 and Gossip Girl debuted on Pro7 in 2009 on Saturday afternoons. Both shows were kicked off Pro7's schedule after half a season due to low ratings. The remaining seasons were shown on sixx on Monday evenings. Melrose Place (2009) aired on sixx on Monday evenings in 2011.

Daytime soaps:

The only US daytime soap that had a steady run in Germany was The Bold and the Beautiful. It debuted on Tele5 in April 1988, then called "Fashion Affairs". A year later, RTL began airing the show, now known as "Reich und Schön". In May 2000, they kicked B&B off their schedule. B&B found a new home on ZDF in January 2002 where it was usually shown at 11.15 am. Because they showed two episodes back to back, they had to take various breaks so that they wouldn't get too close to the US airings. For a brief time, they also tried to establish the show in afternoons at 3 pm; however that didn't last long. In June 2011, ZDF cancelled B&B.

Other daytime soaps that aired in Germany were:

As the World Turns – Jung und leidenschaftlich (1992-1993 on RTL; 1993-1994 on VOX, 194 dubbed episodes from the 80s?)
    Days of our Lives – Zeit der Sehnsucht (1993-1995 on RTL; later on Premiere; 919 dubbed episodes from the late 80s)
    General Hospital – General Hospital (1988-1991 on Sat.1, 884 dubbed episodes from the early 80s)
    Guiding Light – Springfield Story (1986-1999 on RTL, 3278 dubbed episodes from 1979 to 1992)
    One Life to Live – Liebe, Lüge, Leidenschaft (1989-1990 on Pro7, 357 dubbed episodes from 1980/1981)
    Santa Barbara – California Clan (1988-1997 on RTL, full run, 2175 dubbed episodes)
    Sunset Beach – Sunset Beach (1998-1999 on RTL, only the first year of the show was dubbed)
    The Young and the Restless – Schatten der Leidenschaft (1993-1994 on Sat.1; later episodes from the mid 90s on Premiere; re-start on ZDF with US episodes from 2005/2006 from March to December 2008; in total 1718 dubbed episodes)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,811
    Medals:
    At least in Sweden, you only renamed the shows. In France, they allowed this sacrilege to occur.

Although, I must admit that I do quite like the French version of the Cote Ouest (Knots Landing) theme

• Like Like x 2
  16. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,811
    Medals:
    Thanks Marika! That's one super detailed list. Inspired by this, I'm going to try and detail Irish audiences rather convoluted relationship with US daytime soaps. Basically, pre-Youtube, if you were a US soap fan and lived in Ireland (or the UK for that matter), when a US soap showed up on the schedules you had to adopt a "watch it while you can" approach as they rarely lasted more than a few years before being dropped.

Sunset Beach - from what I can gather, this is one of only two US daytime soaps to get a full uninterrupted run on Irish TV. It aired on weekday afternoons on TV3 from the channel's launch in 1998. Much like in the UK, Irish audiences lapped up it's campy appeal and it gained a cult following. As it happened, the UK's Channel Five was available in some parts of Ireland so Sunset Beach could be viewed in Ireland a year prior to it's launch on TV3.

Santa Barbara - the second US soap to run in it's entirety in Ireland. US soaps weren't a common resident of Irish terrestrial schedules, so I'm guessing RTE bought Santa Barbara to ride the wave of success that Dallas and Dynasty were enjoying and sell it as a "daytime Dallas". It aired from 1984 - 1993 in a midday timeslot. Those with access to UK TV could also watch it on ITV when they aired it from 1987 although they chopped the episodes in half for scheduling purposes. When they dropped it, it was picked up by Sky (also available in Ireland to satellite viewers) who aired it on Sky One and the now defunct Sky Soap.

Ryan's Hope - presumably this was bought in due to the Irish connection, Ryan's Hope ran in an evening slot (possibly 7pm) on RTE2 for a period in the late 70's/early 80's but was dropped before the end of it's run.

The Bold and the Beautiful - has straddled multiple channels since the late 80's/early 90's, B&B first popped up on Sky One and since then has made appearances on Living, Channel Five and Hallmark - all picking up at various intervals. It would've gotten it's greatest exposure to Irish audiences when TV3 launched in 1998 and it aired alongside Breakers and Sunset Beach in the afternoons. TV3 were a year or two behind the US as Maggie Forrester was still in the episodes they aired. It didn't catch on and was dropped after a year or so.

The Young and the Restless - similar to B&B, it has been rattling around the satellite schedules since the 80's, picking up at various intervals in the storyline on Galaxy, Sky One, Living and Zone Romantica (CBS Drama). TV3 brought it to terrestrial audiences in Ireland in the early 00's in a midday timeslot. They even had a special "previously on Y&R" intro episode that tried to get viewers up to speed. Like B&B, it didn't really catch on and was dropped after a year or two. It's last appearance on Irish screens was on CBS Drama in the late 00's.

Days of Our Lives - like the two prior shows, this had a rather broken run across the schedules over a period of twenty years, with little sense of continuity. It first aired on Sky One in the 90's (possibly transferring to Sky Soap) before being dropped. When Sunset Beach ended, Channel Five bought it in as a replacement, picking up around the coronation massacre storyline. It only aired there for a year before being dropped. I personally think that Passions would've been a better fit as a Sunset Beach replacement for UK audiences. It then had a three year run alongside Y&R on Zone Romantica/CBS Drama before being dropped in 2010.

As The World Turns and Loving - both aired for a number of years in the 90's on Sky Soap.

Guiding Light - another to make it on air for a period on Sky Soap. When that channel closed, it didn't show up again until the late 00's on Zone Romantica before being dropped in 2010.

General Hospital - aired for a few years in the 90's on Sky One before being dropped. It didn't reappear again until the mid 00's on short-lived channel ABC1.

The Edge of Night and Search For Tomorrow - both aired on Lifestyle, the precursor to current channel Living.

Another World - only available to Sky satellite subscribers in early to mid 90's, Another World aired on Sky One before being relegated to Sky Soap.

17. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,213
    Medals:
    The only daytime soap I've watched was Valley Of The Dolls. (although it aired late at night instead of the afternoon).
    It was fabulous trash, and sexy too!

18. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,811
    Medals:
    I'd love to see it. It's all online but the episodes are dubbed (into Polish I think) so I haven't a clue what's going on.

19. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,213
    Medals:
    I only found some snippets, no full episodes. Dubbed, yes, but I could still hear the english voices LOL

And then of course I got sidetracked by opening themes of other "classic" shows, glossy detective & action shows like Codename Foxfire and Christine Cromwello_O

20. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,909
    Medals:
    This is like a detailed history of all the times life disappointed me. Seriously. I LOVE US daytime soaps... Or did before they were all but obliterated. I would scour TV schedules looking them out like a dirty crack whore. I loved when we got Sky and I could watch Sky soap and then Sky axed it just after we got it. I remember in the early to mid '90s watching Days Of Our Lives and loving it and that whole world. Then when it came on channel 5 after Sunset Beach was cancelled it just wasn't the same. There must have been a switch in writers/producers. I wish there would be a new channel devoted to nothing but US Daytime soaps. Or even a channel that did blocks of old soap programming. Like 8am to 12pm or something. Just showing soaps from whatever period they began keeping the episodes.

• Like Like x 1