Soap actors I wish would reappear....

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by TJames03, Dec 26, 2017.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    .....on what few daytime soaps we still have:

Dorothy Lyman
    Kate Collins
    Robin Strasser

Others??

2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,903
    I would not hold my breath regarding Dorothy Lyman. She has moved into directing TV shows, having started directing while starring on Mama's Family, then getting a regular directing job on The Nanny, followed by other jobs. I'd love to see Kate Collins do...well, anything, but again, I would not hold my breath.

I'd like to see Robin Strasser do a quick guest starring gig on GH as Dorian Lord. She could be a guest at the MetroCourt who tosses her unique brand of shade on that annoying Carly Corinthos. Extra points if they can get her into a scene with Carolyn Hennesy's Diane Miller.

I always thought Anna Stuart could have joined B&B back in the early 2000s as Eric Forrester's younger sister. She shares the same 'look' of her niece Felicia, and it would have been interesting to have her scrapping with both Brooke and Stephanie (when she was on the show). And lord knows Stuart could do the glammed-up look that B&B likes to do.
    [​IMG]

Mark Lawson made a big impression on OLTL as Brody Lovett. I'd love to see him return to soaps to play GH's Lucky Spencer.

[​IMG]

Grant Aleksander would have made an intriguing Blake Carrington on CW Dynasty. Joan Collins even played his Aunt Alex on GL!

upload_2017-12-26_18-56-36.jpeg

It is a crime that Vincent Irizzary has not reprised his AMC role of Dr. David Hayward on GH, given the ties he has to Anna Devane, and his general tendency to stir the pot everywhere he goes. He would make a great "mystery father" for Nathan West, given how Dr. Obrecht and Dr. Hayward would have traveled in the same circles. The chance to re-activate the blood feud between Anna and Dr. O is just deeeelicious.
    [​IMG]

Also on the wish list:
    David Forsyth as Victor Newman's rarely-mentioned brother, Matt Miller, on Y&R
    Stephen Schnetzer and Alice Barrett-Mitchell as Dr. Jeff Webber and Liz's never-seen mother

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Oh, Lyman was so universally hated backstage during her tenure on AMC that no one would ever hire her again, barring her brief reprisal as Gwen on Another World in '89. KC, just fell off the radar. When Anna Stuart was on AMC, she didn't seem to have the "bite" she did when she was on Another World (and didn't she cause some problems backstage, too?). Strasser would be great on GH, but, again, she too caused a lot of problems backstage at ABC, so I don't think we will ever see her on GH.

4. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,903
    Strasser is a textbook example of the "loose cannon". When she is happy (or more precisely, when her show is keeping her happy), she is the very picture of loyalty. But if she decides she's not being treated well, she lets everyone know it. She got to a point at OLTL where everyone knew her opinions on everything. In the pre-Twitter era she had a "hotline" set up where she'd pre-record messages to her fans, ragging on anyone and everyone.

So yeah, she'd be classified as "high maintenance", but probably great fun in small doses.

Stuart is probably too busy bailing her husband out of jail every time he gets himself arrested. James Cromwell (yes, the Oscar-winning actor) has made a second career for himself as an environmental wacko-protester in upstate New York, where they live.

David Forsyth likely had to go into Federal Witness Relocation in order to escape from his psychotic stalker, Jill Farren Phelps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Yes to these, and also Timothy Adams, who basically fell off the map once the New York soaps went under. Of course he looks older now than he did 20 years ago, but then we all do.

[​IMG]

And William Gray Espy, if anyone knows where he's gone to these days...

6. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Oh, also Andrea Evans!!!!!!!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    @ Daniel Avery: Lol! Yes, the "hotline!!!!!"

That was camp personified!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +944
    Well I wish VP would return to tv and acting. Does that count?? ;-)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,903
    Sad to say, but William Grey Espy decided shortly after leaving AW that he wanted to retire from full-time acting. He began appearing in the charity golf tournament circuit and I've heard that he's very good--all the other stars wanted him on their team! He still pops up in an occasional acting role, but nothing long-term. My mom, Y&R fanatic that she is, absolutely loved him when he was on that show.

I was never much of a fan of Sunset Beach but I would gladly watch him show off the merchandise. :eck:

10. Top Jimmy

Top Jimmy Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Do tell, why was Lyman so hated? It was a shock that she reportedly was not even approached to reprise her role of Opal (and she probably could have done it since "Mama's Family" ended around the same time Opal was recast).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  11. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
  12. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Anna Kathryn Holbrook!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Top Jimmy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +121
  14. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,903
    I would love to see Anna Holbrook on my screen again!

Also, Diego Serrano (who played Tomas to her Sharlene) went from a cute kid to a hottie DILF in real life, and would be welcome on my screen, as well.

Joe Barbara!

15. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    @ Top Jimmy: The Lyman interview was cringe worthy for me! Lyman truly thinks that she a is a great actress! She's sure no Bette Davis, Meryl Streep, or DIVINE, that's for sure!

She was a part of AMC for a mere three years and then a part of a horrific sitcom that people watch in secret. I think she got a massive reality check when it was all over!!!!

16. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,903
    Actually, Mama's Family got very good ratings during its time in first-run syndication. I enjoyed it very much--and I didn't take the TV into the broom closet to watch it. :D

I agree with your sentiment that she likely got a big 'reality check' though. Even the largest names of daytime in that period had trouble parlaying that success into primetime stardom. It was a lot like that "star high school quarterback" who goes off to college and finds himself just another football player on the team, with no one impressed by his high school achievements. From the sound of that interview (that is, reading between the lines) Fran Drescher and her husband brought in Lyman to "study" under their staff director, Lee Shallat, knowing full well they planned to replace Shallat with Lyman. Drescher was/is a vocal fan of daytime soaps, and the idea of working with Lyman may have appealed to her due to that link.

Aside: I had no idea that Lyman was (is?) married to the brother of director Louis Malle. Malle was famously married to Candice Bergen until his death...this means "that tacky Opal Gardner" was the sister-in-law of Murphy Brown!

• Like Like x 1
  17. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Well, "Mama's Family" isn't too deep and I don't think one had to have too extensive of credentials to be on the show. As far as AMC goes, the fact that they didn't even approach her to return as Opal, and she could have, says a lot!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Top Jimmy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I have to admit, I used to watch "Mama's Family." It wasn't Shakespeare, but it was often funny, especially when Carol Burnett or Betty White guest-starred when it originally aired in primetime. TJames03, you're right that Dorothy was no Bette Davis, but I thought she was good on Mama's Family and hilarious as Opal, judging from the clips I've seen of her on Youtube. I loved any scenes where she insulted Liza and Marian Colby.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    She appeared briefly on B&B after OLTL ended, but Brad Bell quickly loses interest in anyone who isn't sleeping with Brooke.

I enjoyed his guest appearance on MIAMI VICE, but his stint on Y&R predated my birth. :lol:
    I can't believe he was never cast on B&B, especially when you consider that actors are often cast on there for their chests rather than gravitas in acting. :lol:

And David Forsyth. They should be somewhere, on something, playing a couple.

I'm glad he built a career for himself outside of soaps. Most 90s heartthrobs weren't so lucky, or they briefly appeared on MELROSE PLACE before drifting into Lifetime-movie hell.

Now that would be a blast from the past...:)

• Like Like x 1
  20. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +329
    The bad thing about Evans is that she basically always plays the same character, just with a different name, on every soap she appears. Would love to see her in DOOL.