So, I'm Finally Wrapping This Thing Up....

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by ClassyCo, Jun 26, 2019.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    If any of you here remember anything about my posts or threads, you'll likely recall that I tend to fall into EXTREME viewing slumps concerning these soaps we hold so dear.

I got into Dynasty back in 2012. Well, I didn't get into the show itself; at the time, I had recently discovered Joan Collins and learned that her most famous role was as Alexis Colby on ABC's campy 1980s ratings powerhouse. I remember buying the first three seasons and the first volume of season four in one purchase, and watching them religiously until I ran out of new ones to view.

It took some time for me to get around to buying the remainder of the copies. This is where the slumps start.

My habitual viewing shifted from the latter half of Season Four and has never entirely recovered. Season Five, while bringing on Dominique, Amanda, and the Massacre cliffhanger, left a lot to be desired for this viewer, and the aftermath at the start of Season Six was all but dreadful.

Throughout it all, however, I remained an avid Dynasty fan, even if I wasn't watching the show itself all that regularly. I dove into Season Seven with high hopes of getting this thing in the can, but I dipped off again... this time for more than a year, I'm sure. I couldn't tell you how long it took me to watch Seasons Seven and Eight.

It's now halfway through 2019, and I'm finally at the last ten episodes of the series that triggered my liking for serialized prime time television from the 1980s.

Here's to my last few episodes.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Good to see you approaching the checkered flag on O-R ABC Dynasty! I hope you enjoy how the series ends.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,334
    Medals:
    Sounds about right.

But didn't you find Season 9 a vast improvement??

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    Overall, Season Nine has been a welcomed improvement over what the last few seasons had dished out. I've never been the biggest critic of Dynasty and its stories because I didn't see it as necessary, but in all honesty, the writing had gotten pretty bad there for a good while, starting -- for me, at least -- around early-to-mid Season Five. The tracing back to the pilot season for back story on plots is effective, and the acting, while still not stellar, even seems better when compared to what the ensemble had delivered in the seasons immediately proceeding this swan song.

For me, the only downside is Alexis being absent from the majority of the episodes. I understand that Collins' weekly salary had been upped to what she called a "tidy sum" by 1988, but it seems ABC couldn't find the funds to support her on a consecutive basis. When you become taken by the story lines themselves, however, Alexis' absence isn't all that noticeable, and I dare say that her less frequent pop ups give the show a facelift to no longer rely, as it seemed to for some time, her character as the central drawing card. Beacham is a welcomed addition as Sable, and the cast being somewhat thinner makes it easier to address stories in greater depth.

In a nutshell, yes Season Nine has been a vast improvement to this viewer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,200
    Medals:
    How i envy you! I wish i could watch it all for the first time again.

Did you watch "The Colbys" too? If not, then STRONGLY recommended!!!! ;)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  6. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    It's been a long time coming. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all concludes, although, I hear, it doesn't actually.... it just stops.

Anywho...

I watched the first four or five episodes of The Colbys some time ago, but after I finish its parent show, I'm going to revisit the short-lived spinoff and watch it in its entirety, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,200
    Medals:
    You will feel sad that it's over, i can tell you that! You will want more...
    Same goes for "The Colbys" ...

But ... it's a good sign and a compliment to a show, if you don't want it to be over, isn't it? ;)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,334
    Medals:
    That said, I wanted one more season of DYNASTY, Mr. Iger!

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    I watched the final Dynasty episode, "Catch 22", just a little while ago. I haven't the time to give my passing thoughts to the show, but I wanted to share that I had finally completed the soap that kick-started my interest in this addictive serialized dramas.

I will come back and give some remarks on the series as a whole, and in particular, the final season.

• Like Like x 3
  10. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    Okay, I realize it's been two days since I said I had finished Dynasty, but please forgive me, I've been sick. I hadn't the time yesterday, and last night, I got really sick and wasn't able to go to work today.

All that aside, here it goes:

I was beyond thrilled to finally get to that finally episode of Dynasty. In documentaries and reunion shows, I had seen clips from the finale, but it was thrilling to finally watch it for myself. Season Nine, overall, was certainly an improvement over Seasons Seven and Eight, which each seemed to drag and offer blandness over flavor the majority of the time.

Going into to this final season, I was actually expecting Krystle to exit earlier on than she did. I know Linda Evans had grown weary with the show and the role itself, and really, once she was gone, I didn't miss her. Krystle, in many ways, I come wallpaper surrounding Blake's business dealings; she only seemed effective, although not powerfully so, in their scenes alone together, which often bordered on being too sappy for my personal taste.

As for Blake himself, I like his being drawn into the murder of Roger Grimes all over again. I recall reading somewhere that John Forsythe felt the story lines of Season Five involving kings, queens, and the massacre had tarnished the show's quality, and he feared it wouldn't recover. Well, it may have never gotten the same ratings again, but far as quality alone, Season Nine is probably the best, story-wise, since Season Two.

For a long time, I remember frequenting these forums and hearing talk of how superior Season Nine was to the remainder of the series, expect for the first two seasons. Honestly, I felt the hype was something the season itself wouldn't necessarily leave up to, or at least in my mind anyhow. In finally watching it myself, I realize that the final season is indeed exceedingly better than most of what happened prior. (I say "most" because I'm not as critical of Dynasty, its plots, actors, and stories as others are.)

I didn't really miss Steven at all; he had gotten as bland has all get out. Good riddance. As for Fallon, I really like that she finally had a personality to interact with this season. She seems more free, and there's more fluidity in her performance that hadn't been seen beforehand on this show. Having her tangled with Zorelli was a good idea, and a fresh one for her; he wasn't rich or out to use her, although I did initially think he was going to be a back-stabber.

I cannot explain the delight of Sable's entering and stirring up trouble for Alexis. Their spats together are priceless, but seem more realistic, for TV anyhow, than some of the show's more traditional cat-fights in seasons past. As for Alexis, I honestly am not happy she wasn't in all of the season's episodes, but overall, I think her absence gave time for character development in other areas, instead of the show and its producers coasting along on the popularity of Joan Collins and Alexis.

I wish there could have been more done with Sammy Jo and Tanner. Although I wasn't fond of her haircut, I can say that I liked her developing relationship with Tanner, and was eagerly awaiting precisely where their vastly different paths would take them.

Monica comes to Denver to be with Sable, but one wishes Miles and Bliss would have popped in, too. Having just started The Colbys, however, I don't know where the story lines for these characters were left at the end of the spinoff, so I don't know if there was logic to their crossing over as well.

That all being said, I wish there had been just one more season. I know the ratings were low (around #69 in the spring of 1989, I believe), and the budget was high, but I wish it could've worked out for one more go-around. Maybe some past characters could be persuaded to drop in for an episode or two, but actually tie this thing up nicely.

I don't know if I've left anything out.

Ask me any questions if there was something you liked about the season that you'd want my opinions on.

EXCUSE THE TYPOS, I WAS TYPING FAST.

• Winner Winner x 4
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,334
    Medals:
    Glad it lived up to the hype. The first time I saw the first episode of Season 9, I had a lump in my throat; I'd been complaining for more than half a decade. Even USAToday said the following day it was the best episode in years.

And why? For so much of S3 thru S8 of DYNASTY, all conversations about the hungry, unshackled lion in the room who's about to eat them are stymied and hijacked by endless "but you must know I love you, darling!"/"You look at me like I'm a woman and yet you treat me like a child!" dialogue that makes no sense in context and kills any dramatic tension regarding that lion --- over and over and over, creating that eternal sense of "suffocation" that @Alexis has mentioned before.

But with the very first S9 installment, that dialogue suddenly flows naturally. Seems like a small thing to ask.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,937
    Medals:
    And still, there was the pointless Cuzzin' Veergenia.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    I'm certainly glad it lived up to the hype, too. It was a considerable improvement over the seasons prior, especially the two preceding it. (Season Seven may have been the worst season overall, at least in my opinion.)

I agree that the show itself had gotten stuffy and the worst thing about all of it was the dialogue. I also noticed that the dialogue was better; it also struck me that the actors' movements and the camera work was also better than what had been the show's staple for some time prior. It isn't no small thing to ask --- it makes sense that one would want the interchanging dialogue that characters share to be believable and significant to the situation at hand.

I'm glad I finally got to see Season Nine.

Now, I'm working my way through Dynasty II: The Colbys.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,200
    Medals:
    Still some very good and juicy stuff ahead of you! Enjoy! :D
    And please feel free to write your thoughts about that, too. :dance:

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,937
    Medals:
    I'd also say that it's pretty obvious that there's more location / outside shooting that had been lacking for a while. Normally the show got very cramped by saving in on shooting outdoors in the later seasons and would just settle on doing it in studio. It really helped open up the show again and I think that's an underappreciated aspect.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,200
    Medals:
    Yes, the location shots in s9 are very nice. I LOVED seeing Krystle and Blake walking through the fields of "Dayton" in episode 3 and when they discovered her old playhouse. It's all suddenly just so natural, literally, the location, the dialouge and the acting. It almost seems like improvising, like they were just walking, laughing and talking "normal stuff" like every other people do. It's like Paulsen replaced those stiff Carrington-Androids with real humans again :lol:

Some nice location shots as well at Delta-Rho (when Sammy Jo got shot) and of course the lake area, when the body was found or when Sable and Dex are taking a walk around that lake, talking and throwing stones to jump on the water ... just like any normal person would, while walking there. It's just all so REAL. And i love it for that! :)
    Also loved Fallons and Sammy-Jos mudfight!

Plus, we got to see the Carrington BASEMENT for the very first time ... and it even had hidden skeletons! Who would have ever guessed?! :eck: :lol:

By the way, the COLBYS feature a good amount of location shots throughout as well! And a lot of shirtless Maxwell Caulfield ... if you're into that! :spinning:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  17. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,937
    Medals:
    One of those outdoor shoots that stand out in my mind is Fallon and Sammy Jo having a jog in the park, because you know in any other season showrunners would probably argue that it could very well take place indoors - like them having a conversation inside a studio set instead, thus saving money. Sadly, Papa Spelling often lived in the 1950s where shooting entire shows inside the studio was the norm, which means when money needed to be pinched on any of his shows they ended up being very studio based (looking at no particular 90s soaps here).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    Oh yes, I took note that Season Nine took advantage of getting more outdoor scenery that what the earlier seasons had provided. All the indoor stuff made Dynasty seem cheaper, although we know it wasn't, and, in my opinion, more like the daytime soaps that rarely venture outside their offices, houses, and coffee shops.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I hope you're feeling better, #ClassyCo!
    You make good points about season 9. Overall, the actors all seemed more comfortable in their roles. This was the only season I liked Adam. The fight between Blake and Adam on the stairs conveyed a lot about Adam's inner conflicts, imho, just through the look he gives Blake as he slinks away.
    I also enjoyed the sense of humor the characters had about themselves(i.e. Sammy Joe joking to Fallon about spaceships, Fallon's reaction to SJ being completely unconcerned the man she loves is a priest).
    If only David Paulsen had been in charge of the reunion:frustration:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    Thank you! I'm feeling quite a bit better; I returned to work today.

I agree. The actors seem reassured of themselves this season, in no small part to the quality of the writing and direction of the show improving with Paulsen coming aboard. There seemed to be more humor sprinkled in, but not campy humor, just giving the characters we've grown to love a sense of humor that every day people tend to have, as well.

I haven't seen the reunion, so I can't comment on that. However, I do think that Paulsen, or someone similar, should have been brought on staff far earlier than this. All that "Come back! We've fixed it!" following the Massacre should have been "corrected" by a producer, such as Paulsen, that knew what he (or she) was doing. I honestly think had it gotten a better backbone when they kept trying to "fix it" after Moldavia, I think it would have went on another season or two.

• Agree Agree x 1