Similarities between FC and Dynasty and

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989, Oct 29, 2016.

1. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    I have been watching both shows recently and I have noticed a similarity between the two
    From characters to storylines to how both shows fell apart after two or three seasons yet had a renewed final season to the fact that both ran for 9 years and both started in 1981
    For instance

Alexis - Angela, while Angela was less outrageous than her Denver counter part, she was just a dastardly but was more subtle about it

Blake - Chase

Krystle - Maggie

Stephen - Cole

Fallon - Vickie

Amanda - Melissa

Sammy Jo - Terry

Adam - Richard

Claudia - Emma & Julia

Joseph - Choi Li

Andrew Laird - Greg Reardon

Even the Ortega's were a late 80s counterpart to the early 80s Blaisdels

I'm not saying that Falcon Crest stole off Dynasty, after all the character of Melissa Agretti predates Amanda Carrington by several years

Plus the Buried Nazi Treasure plot was on Falcon Crest first but it was axed mid season, Dynasty picked this up half a decade later,

And Falcon Crest was way more structured in terms storylines and consistency- even during its worst years, something which Dynasty cannot lay claim to

Falcon crest was great in its first three seasons while Dynasty was great in its first two seasons

Structurally both shows were similar in terms of both were more glitzy than the gritty Dallas and the middle class Knots Landing.

If any show lifted ideas for its premise it was Dynasty doing it to Dallas.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +920
    It is inevitable that you will have similarities between rival shows. DYNASTY and FALCON CREST also shared the same composer for their theme tunes, the one and only Bill Conti. Btw an interesting post.

Chase arrives at the Falcon Crest mansion, to have a rather frank conversation with Angela, (a scene from season 2, 1982 – ’83):

Chase: “Surely I don’t need to remind you now that we share Falcon Crest 50:50?”

Angela: “Please Chase I have enough to worry about with the Globe.”

Chase: “The Globe. Why don’t you just deal with Richard Channing the way you deal with me? Brush him off. Ignore the issues.”

Angela: “Are you prepared for an operation as sophisticated as I have here?”

Chase: “I have been very generous with you. I am rightful heir to all of Falcon Crest but I agreed with you half shares, equal profits, equal liabilities.”

Angela: “I disagree!”

Chase: “I wouldn’t.”

• Like Like x 4
  3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,056
    If anything, Dynasty "stole off" Falcon Crest.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,791
    I'd say Fallon = Melissa.

Otherwise, yes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +355
    The man who played the butler in Dynasty, Lee Bergere was also in late Falcon Crest but not as a butler.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,791
    Not necessarily. DYNASTY actually did some of it first.

I've gotten into the fine habit in recent years of watching whatever DVDs I possess of FALCON CREST from start to finish every March. I'm doing it again in 2017. And it's remarkable the similarities between Season 1 & 2 of DYNASTY and Season 1 of FC. (When they were both actually good).

• Like Like x 5
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,570
    They were my favourite soaps back in the 80s, but that probably doesn't count as a similarity in this thread.

I'd say that both seasons 1s are underrated (and sometimes even forgotten) gems.
    Of course Dynasty's season 1 is superior to everything else in the history of television except Peyton Place (hate to say this on the FC forum) but Falcon Crest first seasons always make me feel like I'm there, with them.
    I think the reason is because I rooted for the show's "heroes" in different ways.
    Krystle's story was so beautifully sad, and I think I wanted her to leave that sinister Carrington place* (with or without Matthew). Blake was such a horrible man and the damage seemed beyond repair.
    The optimism from the Gioberti's story was contagious, and I wanted them to succeed and live happily ever after in that beautiful, almost heavenly place.

*not for real, because that would mean the end of the story.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,791
    There are a lot of weird specifics, too. Same theme composer, and many of the same incidental score composers. The heroine of both shows was born on November 18, 1942. The redisent nut job of both series winds up spilling everybody's secrets in the courtroom finale of the first year. John Saxon pops up in both. They both take a trip to Italy (S1 for FC, S2 for DYNASTY) and they use one of the same establishing shots (which DYNASTY identifies as NORTHERN ITALY in huge letters, nonetheless entitling that episode "The Mideast Meeting" although I never saw Rome as being part of the middle east).

Many other odd things.

Oooooo, really good post! :spinning:

Julia to me looks like DYNASTY's Jeanette.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,570
    How uncanny!:eek:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,791
    I agree Richard is Adam, but who is Lance? Michael Culhane?

For years, all sources listed Sullivan's birthyear as 1944. I knew it had to be wrong. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,570
    From a season 1 point of view I'd say:

Angela - Blake (tyrannical patriarch/matriarch)
    Richard - Alexis (unwanted villainous family member with a mission, introduced at the end of season 1, fighting both the patriarch/matriarch and the newcomers)

But of course, Blake and Alexis were murderers, Angela and Richard were not.

And I don't want to over-complicate this topic:)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,791
    Oh, that's not too complicated.

FC had more murders. But less murderers??

• Like Like x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,570
    Less murderers in the opening credits.

Unless Richard killed Chase underwater, then it's equal.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,791
    I probably liked DALLAS the best and had the most respect for KNOTS. I had the greatest aspirations for DYNASTY. Yet despite caring the least about FALCON CREST, it was the '80s power soap I felt strangely closest to.

FC's shrouded, gently gothic ambitions early on, along with good casting (and Bob McCullough guiding the plots) gave it an almost-organic, isolated vibe I liked -- what with those elaborate man-caves set back against the mountains and whatnot.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,791
    Cole's and Miz Demery's kiss on the kitchen floor and Cliff Robertson's "I'm-a-neurosurgeon-who-can't-neurosurge!" are also right out of DYNASTY.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    Lance at first I thought was like Adam, but he's more playboyish than a grafter, which Adam in many ways was, Miles Colby, which shades of Jeff Colby seem to parallel Lance Cumson having rewatched the series.

• Like Like x 4
  17. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    The first three seasons of Falcon Crest were amazing, seasons 4 thru 6 seemed like a bizare mix between Hill Street Blues and Miami Vice, season 7 seemed to regain some of the darkness seasons 1-3 had, season 8..... we'll say no more on that, and season 9 FC was a decidedly different show, that happened to share the same series title.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,791
    The first three seasons look better every time I see them. Even the things that don't entirely make sense get swept along with the series' sense of forward thrust. But once Robert McCullough was fired at the end of S3 as the result of some kind of politics at Lorimar, FC was just never the same.

I mean, it appears he was the guy who'd made FC a hit, for goodness sake! (Aaron Spelling promptly tapped McCullough as producer of his "Hollywood Wives" miniseries, and if only he'd been made show runner of DYNASTY for S5 onward....!)

I wonder how a show helmed by McCullough, Ed Ledding and David Paulsen might have fared... Probably a hit for two years before all three of them are fired and replaced by James Komack or somebody.

Anyway, I thought even with McCullough's departure, Season 4 of FC had enough momentum until a CBS executive demanded they dump that year's main plotline ten episodes before the end of the season: the nazi treasure plot. For me, that's what de-railed FC permanently... It never got back on track after that. (Didn't somebody once say that FC was the most harrassed Top 10 show ever, that executives just wouldn't leave it alone? There was even the demand that the show de-gothicize at one point).

Season 5 was cluttered and drab, those oft-repeated "Babylonia" jokes somehow defining the year for me. I thought Season 6 started out like a renaissance for the series, but turned too shlocky near the end (that dreadful CASA BLANCA parody at the airport was a portentious sign of things to come) and Season 7 became soooo frenetically campy I just couldn't tolerate the silliness. Too much winking at the camera for my tastes.

Season 8 tried to go straight again, to return to a serious tone, but the show had already long lost its way, so it just kind of laid there. And Season 9 was indeed like a different show.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,570

Great stuff!

• Like Like x 4
  20. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    I agree with your assessments of each series, DYNASTY had it kept on the road season two had set for it could've easily have equaled, if not beaten DALLAS by their respective 4th and 7th seasons.

FALCON CREST ironically managed to achieve where DYNASTY failed, it kept its campiness to a minimum, maintained its humour and wit, yet was still more glitzy than DALLAS was.

• Like Like x 3