1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emmerdale Should Emmerdale go back to being Emmerdale Farm?

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by soapfan, Apr 26, 2020.

1. soapfan

soapfan Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Emmerdale seems to have changed too much from its origins since 1989, the change from Emmerdale Farm to Emmerdale was because of The Tates. I never understood all the hype about Kim Tate, and people thinking she was the best thing since sliced bread. Joe Sugden was more important to the show than Kim Tate ever was, and the producers' decision in 1994 to kill Joe Sugden off was a BIG mistake.

Eric Pollard is the only character remaining from the old style Emmerdale Farm in 1986.

Anyway, Joe Sugden should be brought back from the dead and Kim Tate killed off, and actor Frazer Hines has given the odd interview or so stating that he'd love to return to the show.

The Dingles are the closest "family-type unit" in a similar way to The Sugdens originally were since Zak etc joined back in 1994. Emmerdale being retitled "Emmerdale Farm" with new opening titles to indicate that, and The Dingles being like The Sugdens with Zak, Marlon or Cain at the helm as some patriarch, with the show just having the basic farm and the Woolpack pub like it initially did, with original Joe Sugden returning. I suppose at a stretch, it could open the door to the possibility of Matt and Dolly as other potential returnees, although that's a huge ask for Frederick Pyne to return, as he's almost as old Ken Barlow.

I just can't seem to warm to the current "Emmerdale" anymore, it's become a parody, the opening titles during the last decade says it all with that dreadful black box.

2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,756
    Medals:
    I wasn't much of a fan of Emmerdale in the 90s. I tried, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I prefer the current Emmerdale. But I agree regarding Kim Tate. I don't see what is so terrific about her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. soapfan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I agree, it was reflective in the terms of the opening titles, I always remember the sheep doing that silly jump on its 2 front legs with its 2 back legs going up lol. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the faster, upbeat theme from 1993-1998, The Glovers (Ned, Jan, Linda), Rachel Hughes, Biff Fowler, and the Hillbilly Rock Hillbilly Roll.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  4. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,811
    Medals:
    I’ve gone completely off Emmerdale in the last two/three years, it’s not even as good as it was back in the noughties, let alone the eighties and nineties.

At least in the 2000s the Sugden’s were still a unit with Jack at the helm with Robert, Andy, Victoria and Daz, it was almost a parallel to Jack, Joe, Peggy and Matt,

Zoe was still there til early 2006, The Dingles were better in those days with largely the original clan plus Cain & Charity, Debbie wasn’t such a downer back then either.

The Kings were worthy replacements for the outgoing Tate family by the mid 2000s, and generally more interesting characters were around back then.

The 1972-94 era will always be the golden era for me though, the 1990s were still good but the gradual decline of the Sugden’s and the hasty killing off’s of prime characters such as Rachel Hughes (who in my opinion should have gone on into the 2000s and was far more interesting than Kathy by the late 90s)

Post 1994 Emmerdale should have been like this:

- Joe, Annie & Amis become recurring characters until 1997/98

- Archie & Mark wouldn’t have died in the plane crash, Archie would go into partnership with Alan in the Woolpack harking back to the days of Henry & Amos, Mark meanwhile would be the one to have the affair with Kim but he wouldn’t die he would eventually leave around 1996

- Kim wouldn’t have become the evil bitch she became in the late 90s however she would maintain a man edge to her, she was much better when she wasn’t an Alexis clone

- With Rachel not being killed off I would have her run the B&B, she would never have had the affair with Jack either, so her association with the Sugden’s carry’s on, she would be perpetually unlucky in love but would meet Matthew King in the mid 2000s

5. soapfan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I agree with some of the points you've made, and the omitting of "Farm" and going against the show at it was whilst coincidentally with the Tates is what ruined the programme, along with the OTT plane crash. I'd happily forget both the years 1989 AND 1993 and would wonder about the characters introduced during 1990-1992, and things being done differently for the better instead.

The actress Glenda McKay experienced balls palsy during the late 1990s, which was a disabling facial muscle thing. Having said that, she did guest star in an episode of The Royal during the 2000s.

[​IMG]

6. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,811
    Medals:
    I agree maybe dropping the farm was hasty, but the Tate’s arrival was needed by 1989, the show was 17 years old at that time and in those 17 years a lot had changed.

It had to keep up with the times, Yorkshire in 1989 wasn’t the same Yorkshire as it was back in 1972, yuppies, the new rich and middle classes were beginning to migrate there for country homes and a better way of life, hence the arrival of the Tate, Windsor and McAllister families during the late 80s/early 90s.

Even by the time the Kings took over by 2004-2006, life had moved on from 1989, I can understand your point that some of the changes were too drastic.

The Plane crash storyline, well that will always be hotly debated for years to come, was it unnecessary or was it needed to shake up not just Emmerdale but the soap genre in general,
    Brookside and EastEnders were relatively new soaps having started in 1982 & 1985 respectively, and were pushing the boat out further and further, leaving Corrie and Emmerdale which were beginning to look old fashioned and dated, far behind, Crossroads had already been axed in 1988, Emmerdale was on its way to the same fate and I would imagine that by the late 1990s Corrie would have eventually been axed, leaving only Brookside and EastEnders, the Plane Crash put all the soaps on a even level for a time during the 1990s and 2000s.
    But it did also ruin the soap genre too, storylines have become increasingly plot driven rather than character driven.

It was a double edge sword sadly.

7. soapfan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well without a past, there wouldn't be the present and future, so it can have a bearing. Things need to go back to basics with Emmerdale Farm with the Dingle family, and the Woolpack pub, in order to move forward. The Tates were at their best as a quartet#ONLY during 1989-1997. Frank and Chris shouldn't have been killed off, the actress Leah Bracknell who played Zoe died recently, and as for Kim, don't get me started on her.

Eric Pollard should be axed, he's been in the show too long as THE longest serving character.

8. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,811
    Medals:
    I agree Emmerdale needs to go back to basics, the recent arrivals have made Emmerdale look like a chavvy suburb in Leeds and not the middle class/farming community it’s supposed to be.

I don’t agree that the Dingle’s should be the focus though, I would go with either having a completely new family or bring back Sam Skilbeck and Sandie Merrick and their respective families.

In the late 2000s they tried to make a new farming Dynasty out of the Barton’s which worked, the Barton’s are the last decent family to have arrived, but sadly with Moira’s marriage to Cain, it’s made them a small branch of the larger Dingle family, plus with the recent departures of Ross and Pete Barton it’s depleted them some what.

Sam Skilbeck could return with his family and Sandie could return with hers, she could even be a grandmother now, Victoria needs more family around her, and I think Sandie would make a good Sugden matriarch.

9. soapfan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I agree with the points you've made, the Dingles were the only big "family unit" as such as a family example that is basically as close as possible to a basic family unit like the Sugdens. Either way, the soap needs to go back to basics as "Emmerdale Farm" with it being about the farm and the Woolpack pub with a family farming Dynasty.