Should EastEnders kill Phil Mitchell off?

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by soapfan, Apr 15, 2017.

1. soapfan

soapfan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Considering how horrible the character has been since 2000+ (he's worse than Grant now, a terrible father who endangered his own son and daughter whereas Grant NEVER did the bad things Phil has done) and the dangerous and life-threatening situations Phil's been in, shouldn't he be killed off?

The actor Steve McFadden said once that "EastEnders isn't a public information film" during a Digital Spy interview alongside his daughter Teona, but then again, the example he's setting with his alcoholism, crack addiction and violent behaviour, in real life some people are bound to copy his behaviour.

I wonder if one day some present or future EastEnders executive producer will have the balls to axe Phil Mitchell.

upload_2017-4-15_14-53-2.png

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    Medals:
    It would certainly be a brave move doing so.

But maybe necessary, as I'm not sure where Phil fits in now,
    The Beale's are taking centre stage again, Ben seems to be closer to his mother (therefore her Beale relatives) than he does to Phil right now, Sharon too is ingrained with the Beale's because of her ties Michelle and Ian.

And that's my next point, Sharon and Phil just don't seem to work this around, there's no chemistry, not like how it was in the 90s
    I think had Dennis Rickman not been killed off Sharon wouldn't look at Phil as a romantic match, as she would still be married to Dennis to this day.

Maybe killing off Phil would the kick EastEnders needs, as its on top form at the moment, its going back its roots, and perhaps Phil's death would herald in a new era just in time for the new decade to come.

Phil's character has been ruined since the early 00s sadly, so much so it feels like the writers just keep him around now.

3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,384
    Medals:
    Oh I love Phil. He was brilliant on crack.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    Medals:
    When you think about it, there are only a few Mitchell's onscreen at the moment, Billy, Honey, their 2 kids, Ben and Louise, hardly main players in the Mitchell hierarchy, Phil's been out of the show for a while now when I think about it, Ronnie and Roxy are dead, Grant and Sam probably wont ever return, even if Mark Fowler Jnr does return, he'll invariably be grouped with the Beale clan, ard we about to see a Mitchell-less Walford? Or at least a Phil-less one?

5. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,384
    Medals:
    It seems to be cyclical. Sometimes there are hardly any Mitchells or Slaters or Brannings or Fowlers, and then there'll be a sudden influx of them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    Medals:
    True.

In the mid 00s the only Mitchells around were Sam and Billy, and between 2007 and 2014 there were no Fowlers, and for much of the early 10s the only Beales were Ian and Bobby, the later on Lucy returned in 2012.

In recent year's since the mid 00s in particular, I've never known a time when the show was Branning-less or deceased in size, Sonia was the longest running Branning from 1993 to 2007.

I'm hoping for the Carters to return soon though they're looking rather fractured with Tina, her grand nephew; Jonny, along with her ex grand-niece in law; Whitney.

7. soapfan

soapfan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think the Mitchells and the Mitchell's Autos garage out to both be axed by EastEnders and for the show to move on during 2020-2035. It's great that Michelle and Sharon are back together, I've always liked their friendship from 1985-1995.

8. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    Medals:
    Ben
    Ben still has alot of mileage, and I like for Billy and Honey to stick around, but I agree its time the core Mitchells were rested,
    Peggy's dead now, Grant and Samantha won't be back anytime soon and Phil looks out of place, and Ronnie and Roxy were killed off in my opinion a bit of a mistake there killing both off, Ronnie could've easily have stuck around for a few more years married to Jack and integrating her further into the Branning family but Roxy had come to a natural end for, there was no where else for her to go.

9. soapfan

soapfan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ok. The future loss of Steve McFadden if and when he does leave EastEnders, well, I think it should encourage the writers so they would ultimately transfer all of Phil's sensible, restrained brainy behaviour onto the only remaining Mitchell brother of the future (Grant). Grant could be the king of the square, owning either The Queen Victoria with Lorraine, and occasionally running Mitchell's Autos. I think Grant would be better as the landlord of The Queen Victoria though with Lorraine. Ideally, Grant v Dan would be great, one of them running The Queen Victoria or Mitchell's Autos (if Dan was owning it, it would be renamed Sullivan's).