1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Dominique have been in Season 4?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Ked, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    Medals:
    This is sort've in response to the thread "Should Lady Ashley have been in Season 4?" I gotta ask, why do we even need Lady Ashley in the first place? She was kind've superfluous, and didn't really add anything all that special or unique to the series.

Dominique, on the other hand, was super gorgeous, super glamorous, and had super potential to be a very interesting character: first off, she was a self-made woman (a self-made *black* woman, no less). She made her fortune not by marrying a rich man or being the daughter of a rich man (well, she was the daughter of Tom Carrington, but she grew up without any financial support from him), but by her own merits.

All those little speeches/rants Alexis gave about how she "worked hard" to get where she was were bullcrap and should have been given to Dominique, who could put her money where her money was.

And what's more, I read that Dominique was originally intended to be a foil for Alexis; and somewhere on here someone complained that Alexis should have given up on Blake in Season 3 and moved on to another target. I agree with that sentiment, and Dominique coming in during Season 4 would have been a great time for her to come in and go head-to-head with Alexis, who was written at her most calculating during that year.

Plus, you all know I would have made Dominique Kirby's mother instead of Blake's sister. I think that could have worked even better for her had she come in a season earlier: in Season 4, Kirby realizes she's carrying the rape-child of Adam Carrington. Enter Mama Deveraux, who wants to punish Adam by tearing away what he loves most: the inheritance he'll get from both his parents.

Not only that, but this would mean Dominique and Blake are no longer related, and, while he's separated from Krystle this season, Dominique could move in on him (having lusted after him during her years as Alycia Anders, frumpy/lonely/frustrated housewife of the emotionally neglectful Joseph, who also should still be alive this year so they can have a reunion), thus also replacing Tracy.

This could very well mean that Dominique has a catfight not only with Alexis, but also Krystle.

Dominique could even have an interesting relationship with Fallon, starting off as a role model/mentor for her, but once she starts screwing around with Daddy Blake, well... Oh yes, and that would mean more scenes between Diahann and PSM.

Oh! And better yet, we could get rid of Peter DeVilbis and replace him with Brady! HE'S the one whom Fallon has an affair with!

Who wouldn't want all that? :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,877
    Medals:
    I agree with you that they should've placed Dominique and Alexis as greater adversaries than what panned out onscreen. From what I remember, most of their "feud" stemmed from the fact that Dominique was supportive of Blake, and Alexis didn't like that. Their biggest confrontation was over Tom's will and everything after that (a bad review in Alexis' newspaper, Dominique and Dex getting flirty) was just trivial filler.

I would've had Dominique come in earlier in season 4 and be revealed as Cecil Colby's legal widow. Challenging Cecil's will, taking over Colbyco, tossing Alexis out of the penthouse and forcing her to seek refuge at La Mirage, going head to head with Blake as his new business rival. There would have been so many opportunities for stories and conflict in comparison to what we ended up with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,847
    Medals:
    Every character has the potential to be a very interesting character.
    Who's Brady?
    :)

4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,435
    Medals:
    Honestly that is what Dominique's story arc should have been. Of course with Alexis managing to oust her from power at Colby Co and toss her out of the penthouse by the season's end. Maybe discovering something about Dominique's past and using it to blackmail her, or even Alexis herself framing Dominique in a very real way for something. I am all for Alexis being the Empress of Everything but that really only works if first she has nothing. So every few seasons Alexis losing everything then having to cat and claw her way back to the top would have endeared her to the viewers and made her a more rooted for character even if she was the show's central villain.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,763
    Medals:
    Yes, good idea!

Ha!For me, Brady should have replaced Daniel Reece -- and they could give Hudson's money to Billy Dee Williams instead of Marc Christian (or George Nader, who actually earned it).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    Medals:
    Yeah, but Dominique was there first, and she was more unique than Ashley. I say focus on her and forget about Ashley.

Brady Lloyd, Dominique's husband in Season 5. Imagine if he appeared in Season 4 along with Dominique, and if it was with he that Fallon has her affair with. It probably would have made up to PSM not having Michael Nader as her boyfriend that season. :lol:

Ooh, great idea! I love that! Plus, it would mean we'd still be able to keep Season 6's plot of Alexis stealing everything from Blake (that's one plotline I refuse to do without :lol:). But it would have laid the groundwork for Dominique and Alexis to hate each other for the rest of the series. Dominique could have even been a bigger player when Blake gets his house and fortune back in Season 7. :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,847
    Medals:
    Dominique could also have been a one-season villain, like Angelica Nero. Maybe that would have been more effective.
    But then, that was my idea for Lady Ashley-in-season-4.

Not all the characters have to stay on the show forever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    Medals:
    Dominique probably would have worked better as a recurring villain/occasional ally. I always wanted to see her either team up with or do battle with Sable. X)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    Medals:
    Wasn't it odd how a character was on the show for three seasons, but never had a permanent residence? Living in a windowless room doesn't count...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    Medals:
    Dominique should have gotten her own apartment at some point, as well as set up her own office.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,877
    Medals:
    She really should've been moved over full time to The Colbys for their second season. Given Barbara Stanwyck had jumped ship and they were no longing paying her presumably hefty salary, they surely could've afforded Diahann. She was just hanging around during Dynasty's seventh season so she would've been better utilised on the ailing Colbys.

The whole "living in a hotel" thing was utterly bizarre to me. In the case of Alexis and Sable, you could forgive the ridiculousness of it because having them living under the same roof turned the Carlton into a great battleground for them. Dominique living at La Mirage provided no great dramatic potential though. She did mention building a mansion, near the end of season seven if I remember correctly, but obviously nothing came of it as she wasn't back the following year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,847
    Medals:
    Actually I can imagine super-rich people living in a hotel, a beautiful luxurious hotel.
    She should only have used La Mirage to store her furcoats - 3 rooms at least.

Also, as Blake's sister she never really had the chance to become her "own" character - pity they always had to choose between camp Blake and camp Alexis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,763
    Medals:
    Diahann Carroll said in an interview around 2000 that very quickly "the creators of Dominique Deveraux weren't really interested in Dominique anymore."

Well, that was a serial problem around the DYNASTY writers' tables (although I refuse to believe they actually had one).

Losing Billy Dee Williams so soon over money issues was a huge loss for the show and for Dominique. They had terrific, believable chemistry, for one thing, and didn't seem limited by the Static Acting Directive at all (I'm guessing the caucasian producers were afraid to tell black actors to "move like you're in shackles").

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  14. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    Medals:
    YES. YES. A *thousand* times YES.

I will be forever miffed that this is the closest we got to Sable and Dominique interacting:

(skip to 0:23)

Had Dominique come over to "The Colbys" in its 2nd season, imagine if it had been Jackie instead of Channing whom Miles had his 2nd marriage to. Dominique and Sable each becoming meddlesome mother-in-laws, each with their own agenda. And what if Dominique decided since she was now "apart of the family", she wanted a seat on the board of ColbyEntreprises? And what if Dominique decided she found a smug snake like Zach Powers "rather interesting"? It could have worked...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1