Secrets Of Midland Heights

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,595
    Medals:
    Did anyone watch this series? In the UK it was shown at 10.30pm and as I was still in junior school at the time I wasn't allowed to stay up that late to watch it. I knew it was produced by Lorimar, who made Dallas, so I was really keen to see it. I've never been able to find anything much about it online so I'm curious if anyone saw this show and has an opinion on it.

2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,380
    Medals:
    I'd love to have seen it. Our own Tommy K wrote this about it on his blog, which only whets my appetite further:

Secrets of Midland Heights (1980-81): CBS launched Dallas in the spring of 1978, and once it made a ripple in the ratings, the network greenlighted creator David Jacobs' Knots Landing. And when Dallas, late in 1979, surged into a mega-hit, the network ordered up a third Jacobs soap from the Lorimar production company, this one the sudsiest yet. Dallas had served up the greed and grit of oil-rich Texas cowboys; Knots plumbed the fears and foibles of the Southern California middle class. Secrets of Midland Heights, set in a midwestern college town, took its cue from its younger characters, most in that awkward stage between adolescence and adulthood, when teens feel most invisible, yet every decision seems consequential. The adults had it just as bad: the unhappy wife preparing to leave her husband; the lonely widow fighting to make ends meet. Everyone seemed perched between despair and deliverance: clear what they wanted their lives to be, but clueless how to get there. The cast was uniformly strong, with Lorenzo Lamas and Linda Hamilton heading up the high-school set, and veterans that included the great Robert Hogan (twenty years into a career that continues to this day), plus Bibi Besch, Mark Pinter and Jenny O'Hara. And top-billed: venerable stage and film star Martha Scott as town matriarch Margaret Millington. (Her conniving son Guy was determined to get his hands on her inheritance, and all that stood in his way was his niece Ann. Ann's mother had gone insane, and Guy -- in the series' most delectable plotline -- was happy to drive Ann down the same path.) Secrets of Midland Heights debuted in December of 1980 on Saturday night, a death zone for CBS for several seasons. With a lousy lead-in, little fanfare and a late-season start, it didn't stand a chance, and only eight episodes aired. A year later, Margaret Millington was resuscitated (with less warmth but greater cunning) as Angela Channing on Lorimar's next soap, Falcon Crest. Lamas went straight from Secrets to Falcon Crest, and Besch did a six-episode stint there as well. And four of Secrets' younger actors, including Hamilton, showed up the following season on ABC's King's Crossing (also a Lorimar production), with new character names, but essentially playing the same roles. The folks at Lorimar were good to their own.

http://thatsallsiknow.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/my-top-ten-one-season-wonders.html

• Like Like x 7
  3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,595
    Medals:
    This is really interesting and it seemed like it had the potential to be a really good show. There's so little information about it on the internet so it's good to read someone's take on the show.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Great show. Anything with Martha Scott on it rocks my socks. It got its brains beaten in the ratings by Fantasy Island, which was still at its speak as part of a one-two punch with The Love Boat.

5. montyc

montyc Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Very interesting. I have heard of both but knew little about them.

6. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +222
    The timeslot killed the show. Oddly, even the revamped show on ABC was put on the same night.

Ive never seen either show...but it seemed like Midland Heights had more of a gothic/midwest vibe...while the revamp took place in a small town in California..and seemed less gothic and more coming of age.