Discovery Season Two is coming

Discussion in 'Star Trek' started by Ome, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,849
    He's a great choice, though with Chris Pine pulling out of the movie franchise, I had a crazy thought they could have borrowed Zachary Quinto. :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    Agree.
    As much as I love Zachary, he's very much J.J.A's boy -- so, no. Disco needs its own poster boy. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    A familiar colour from the uniform colours for those from a Constitution-class starship, such as the Enterprise.

My question: is this Pike Prime or Pike Kelvin or Pike Something Else that’s not Mirror?

Ever since I noticed 3 glaring anomalies among the handful of oddities in the post-“Discovery is ours” scenes, I’ve been wondering who else/what else really isn’t who/what they appear to be.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    For what it's worth, I believe the 3 glaring anomalies I spotted post-"Discovery is ours" were deliberate, not a case of 'they didn't know what they were doing'.
    These were:
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

I thought there were oddities about the intrusive boarding party folk & about the Paris events, so I'm not even sure about who that Sarek was whom we last saw on the bridge.

My burning question: Like young Alice who went down a rabbit hole when she fell asleep in her sister’s lap, to partake of adventures in Wonderland that played with logic, was Michael always sliding into a fantasy world of her own when she had her ‘monologues’?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    “Everybody assumes that just because Spock is all about logic, that there is no emotion in there and that’s entirely untrue. So, finding an actor who can convey what we know to be very Vulcan, but also reveal so much emotion in the eyes and in the small gestures, so you understand there’s just a tornado of things happening under the surface is critical. So you need an actor who can do both of those things at the same time, which is very challenging.” —Alex Kurtzman, Star Trek: Discovery co-creator and executive producer​

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    I’ve no idea why, exactly, Zach Q was passed over as Spock. Assuming he was available, he might not have been willing to play Spock on the small screen.

Or, he might not have had the specific abilities TPTB were looking for in their ST: Discovery version of Spock.

But even if he had, I doubt Zach Q would have been selected – because he had been ‘tainted’ by the Spock that he’d portrayed for JJA.

I really don’t know, I’m speculating. I think that had his fans gone to see him on Discovery, they wouldn’t have seen Discovery’s own Spock because they would have been too busy projecting JJ’s Spock on him and becoming aggravated when he didn’t do this or that/behave like this or that and complained – and the Disco producers wouldn’t have wanted to see that happen.

I’m mindful that Nicholas Meyer is the Consulting Producer of ST: Discovery. He first come on board as a writer for the series, in early 2016. Some 3 months after coming on board, Meyer was asked a loaded question in a Q&A session at his alma mater, the University of Iowa. He was asked how he felt about JJA reinterpreting and remixing ST: The Wrath of Khan.

Meyer began by making it known that he had read bedtime stories to JJA and attended his Bar Mitzvah, so it had been a long friendship. Then he said some other things, which included inviting the audience to consider what made something a “homage” rather than a “rip-off”, and he concluded soon after.

But among the things he said was this:

JJ’s Star Trek movies are not mine. And, they emerge from a different sensibility. I don’t understand a Star Trek where Spock is beating the sh*t out of people. It doesn’t seem like – but, yeah, you see, we are all old, you know.”​

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    In any case, Zachary Quinto is currently splitting his time in-between JJA-produced movies between the stage and TV hosting.

Early this month he finished with the 2018 Broadway revival of The Boys in the Band. Currently he’s being seen on the History channel as host-cum-investigator of In Search Of. It’s the second revival of a show that the late Leonard Nimoy hosted between 1977 and 1982. (Quinto is also ISO’s executive producer.)

For 2019, he seems happy enough to be boldly going where no Spock has gone before in Quentin Tarantino’s upcoming Star Trek movie: “It’s going to be an R-rated version of Star Trek, which would be the first (in) the movies, and that’s exciting. I’ve been a fan of his for years, and I’m really inspired by his originality. ….”, he told USA TODAY.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/07/19/zachary-quinto-historys-search-star-trek/792109002/

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    Run-up to Season 1: Meet Team Disco

Ironic words from Aaron Harberts, who has been removed from further involvement in Star Trek: Discovery beyond the first 5 or so episodes of S2.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    Fun facts….

ST: Discovery’s co-casting director Orly Kate Sitowitz portrayed “Katie” the maid on S1 of The Colbys.

The 23rd century Starfleet officer O. Sitowitz, who was never seen on-screen, was created in tribute to Orly.
    Her character is listed as a Fleet Ops officer on the dedication plaques of 2 starships,

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    Fun facts cont’d….

On a related note, Star Trek alumni from the main and featured cast of The Colbys and Dynasty are:
    • Nana Visitor (Kira Nerys in ST: DS9)
    • Ricardo Montalban (Khan Noonien Singh in ST: TOSSpace Seed & ST II: The Wrath of Khan)
    • Judson Scott (Joachim – STII: The Wrath of Khan)
    • Stephanie Beacham (Countess Regina Barthalomew in ST: TNGShip in a Bottle)
    • Tracy Scoggins (Gilora Rejal in ST: DS9Destiny)
    • Christopher Neame (Unferth in ST: VoyagerHeroes and Demons & German General in ST: EnterpriseStorm Front, parts I & II)
    • (Dame) Joan Collins (Edith Keeler in ST: TOSThe City on the Edge of Forever)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,849
    Now that I've had time to digest the news, I'm finding that I prefer a new actor instead of Zack, like you said (something along the lines of) "Disco needs its own version"

• Like Like x 1
  12. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    At Comic-Con, in 2017:

And below, in 2018. Heavy spoilers up to 4.10 min mark, as they speak of Season 1.

Then, scattered giveaways in the rest re S1 as the conversation moves to S2: New comer here is Anson Mount, playing Captain Pike of USS Enterprise, so there’s comparison with Captain Lorca.

Series co-developer and S2 showrunner Alex Kurtzman is present. For those not wanting to watch this video, suffice to know that S2, in Mr Kurtzman's words, "can be pared down to saying, love is a choice you have to keep making over and over again (everyday)”.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    Star Trek franchise’s original Number One is returning to the screen in S2 of ST: Discovery, with Rebecca Romijn in the role.

The character was created for The Cage, the unaired 1965 pilot of original series Star Trek. The late Majel Barrett-Roddenberry, wife of ST:TOS creator Gene Roddenberry, portrayed Number One.

Other S2 casting news:

Comedian and actress Tig Notaro will play Starfleet officer Denise Reno, the chief engineer of USS Hiawatha. Hers is a recurring character.

David Benjamin Tomlinson will play Linus, a Saurian science officer on USS Discovery. It would be funny if this Saurian turns out to not like brandy. Or, if he hates L’Rell.

15. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    Season 1 will be available on Blu-ray DVD on November 13. Said to have 2 hours worth of special features, including deleted and extended scenes! Am keeping fingers crossed they shed light on security officer Ellen Landry’s backstory & if there's meant to be Section 31 connections.

16. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,849

I'm trying to avoid all spoilers so didn't open up the link in case I stumbled on anything. I'd read that they were changing the Klingons, but didn't know what was changing. ASre they giving them hair?

If it's something different that's part of a new plot then tell me to shove off!

I watched The Cage
    earlier this year as part of my TOS re-watch.

17. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    The first link is about the look of the Klingons in S1.

The second link is to a speculative article based on cryptic comments by Glenn Hetrick, Disco’s makeup designer – the message is that “they have a completely new look, yet again, going into season two”.

Dunno if the Klingons are getting hair. Mr Hetrick never directly said what would be new or different in the Klingons.

We only saw a handful of the 24 houses in S1, so I’m guessing we’ll see some of the others in S2. Perhaps, if their home worlds are in different locations, they differ genetically from the (6?) houses seen in S1, hence why the “completely new look”.

Fans didn’t like that the Klingons were hairless in S1. Hetrick’s explanation linked S1’s
    to a story in TNG:

Re: The Cage thanks for the heads-up. Haven’t watched it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,205
    Medals:
    So if the Klingons will be getting their hair back, it would be awesome they name that episode "Rightful Hair" :Clol:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  19. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    @Matthew Blaisdel Please don’t slay me for wondering if that camp dramedy might be more The Orville’s forte. :bump:

Besides, hair on one made in the image of the Klingons of the day says nothing about the original some 15 centuries earlier.

20. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +673
    S2 premieres in the USA and Canada on Thursday, Jan 17, 2019. Rest of the world (Netflix?) on Jan 18th. (Dunno if that really means on Jan 19th in those parts of the world ahead in time of the US & Canada.)

I’ve posted the S2 trailer that was released at the New York Comic Con in the SPOILER! Reads thread. It contains a mix of old and fresh faces, including “one of those trendy bearded, skinny jeans wearin', Hot topic model soy boys”. That's a YT comment found on the channel of a SC member – I knew I’d find the superficial haters congregating there. The real haters have more legitimate points of view. :D

• Like Like x 1