Season One Re-Released On DVD!

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by ChrisSumner, Jun 29, 2018.

1. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +128
    July 24th Warner’s is re-releasing season one. It’s the same cover art and all, but I wonder if this means they’ll attempt going past season one? TV Shows on DVD posted about this on Facebook and say they have no further details, but I think this is promising.

I’d settle just to get these soaps on one of the streaming services at this point.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,773
    According to the blurb it's an MOD title, which is interesting (I had no idea the original release was out-of-print).

It has the price tag to match, too: $47.99 for thirteen episodes. :eyes:I can't imagine it would cost WB a great deal to produce - even on demand - since it's previously been mass produced.

MOD could be the way forward with seasons 3-14, but even at that price you'd be looking at over $575 for the remaining seasons. Throw in that most seasons were 2-3 times longer than Season One, haven't been packaged on DVD before and possibly have rights issues and they become a very expensive prospect indeed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +641
    Where is this blurb?

4. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,773
    It's on the TV Shows On DVD Facebook page, and also on the WB Shop listing for the item...

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,316
    This is great news. Fingers crossed that they will continue releasing season 3 and onwards too! :spinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,603
    It's a hope, but it may just be that they're trying to squeeze a few more bucks from the two they've already done the work on.

I guess sales will be the key but people who are holding out for the whole series aren't helping the cause.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,773
    Yes indeed. Most of the people who would have considered paying a hefty amount for an MOD set will own Season One already.

Of course it's good that WB are doing something Knots related (for the first time this decade, I hasten to add), but I hope they're keeping their expectations very low in terms of sales this time round or in the long term it could actually prove the final nail in the coffin for Season Three and beyond.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    Let's hope Warner Bros will finally continue with the rest of the seasons. let our fingers crossed ;)

9. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,347
    Why don't they just offer people the chance to buy and download the whole show or selected episodes for a Dollar or 1.50$ per episode from some kind of Warner archive download purchase site and let the people make their own DVDs or USB-Sticks from it as they wish?
    That would be the easiest and cheapest way for them and the best possibillities for fans to get the whole show or selected episodes they want.
    This is the year 2018 ... i just don't get it?!
    The gaming industry does that as well, you can purchase and download most of the old retro Nintendo and Playstation games in their online stores and play those on their newest consoles, why can't those movie studios be similarly up to date with their old content? What's the difference, it's all just digital data as well!
    How many further decades do we have to wait, until we're all over 80 or what?! The time they can still make money out of it is NOW!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. cheaproberts

cheaproberts Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14
    silly! anyway, because of the music rights we ll just have season one and two, no hope for the rest of the seasons.

11. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,316
    Well if that really was an issue they should at least release season three too as there's not a lot of singing in that season. Ciji (Lisa Hartman) didn't appear until in season four.

Also I am not that interested in downloading the episodes because knowing myself they would just get stuck on an external hard drive. I wouldn't bother to print them out. I want the whole package with official art and a box set that goes with each season officially released on DVD to complete my collection.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +449
    I might be in the minority but I wouldn't even care that much if they just did away with the troublesome copyrighted music scenes in order to finally be able to release the series on DVD past the first two seasons.

Ciji singing, or before that Kenny and Ginger's musical stuff tends to get fastforwarded through when I watch anyway. The songs add nothing for me personally considering they are mostly club performances rather than anything meaningful to the storyline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,440
    I agree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    Keep in mind the battle over "music clearances" is not just the songs that Lisa Hartman (and a few others) sang. This also involves the incidental music in the background of scenes, which is often composed specifically for an episode or a series of episodes. Jerrold Immel is fairly well-known for doing the theme tune, but there are many others who composed lesser-known music for the series. I'm sure there are plenty of instances where music was re-used from other Warner shows (just as sets and establishing shots were occasionally re-used from other shows), so that would complicate things even further, since they may not know which show used that that piece of music first (thus which show compensated the artist for original work) or if they were given a residual (?) for the re-use of that work.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,347
    But Dallas is complete on DVD, and there was singing (AudreyLanders) and background music as well. So it can't be that big of an issue to find a similar solution for KL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,440
    They should release the DVDs and deal with those issues afterwards. Problem solved!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,603
    Which must still go back to a question of sales. They would make the effort if they saw a profit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,347
    The profit's not gonna grow either if they let the show rot in the Warner archive basement. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +641
    That's right-- if they wanna make the money from it, it needs to get out and see the light of day!

• Agree Agree x 1