1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Just Look at the Flowers Lizzie

The Walking Dead Season 9 Discussion - A new beginning

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead' started by Matthew Blaisdel, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    Just watched S09E01 and i think it is quite epic!
    Easily the best episode of TWD that i have seen in ages. Maybe because of the new showrunner Ms. Kang, could be the old ones were just exhausted after all those years.

Time jump was a great idea, so we start 18 Months later and the opening scene is already a blast, when little Maggie had drawn that picture of her beloved people and she drawed Daddy Rick with a grumpy face.... and a big tummy! Michonne cracked up on that and it was such a delight! :crazy:

We move on with the core group entering Washington D.C., it was really nice they were allowed to shoot part of the episode in that actual museum! Those scenes were awesome and bit by bit you get to know what had happened over the time. Anne (formerly Jadis) became a respected part of the group, Daryl is kind of leading the sanctuary now, Maggie still in Hilltop and - huge surprise - Carol is now together with Ezekiel!
    Well... that kind of foreshadowed in those scenes they had together in season 8, but i wasn't expecting it really to happen. But there we are. They are together... and Daryl - of course - is not amused! :D

I really liked the action scenes in the museum, the spider zombie was great and the cracked glass floor got Ezekiel almost killed. Great suspense there!
    On the way back we sadly lose a young guy from the Hilltop group and that loss sets the things in motion...

So much happens in those 60 minutes of runtime right up to Gregorys execution at the end.
    So many emotions, so many great storys to unfold in future episodes.

I don't think i've seen a more promising season opener of a Walking Dead season EVER before!
    The only letdown is, that we already know we'll have to loose not only Rick, but Maggie as well in just a few weeks, because Andrew Lincoln and Lauren Cohan both are leaving after 6 episodes. :sad:

But i can't wait to see, what they will do with such a promising new beginning, and what the show will going to be like after those huge departures.
    It's been a great episode and a very promising start to season 9 with even fresh and re-vamped opening credits. :spinning:
    Very nice stuff so far! :10:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,257
    I really enjoyed it too and it was refreshing to get new titles. I also noticed lots of greenery in the scenes which helped the theme of a new beginning.

After spending nearly two years spread across a couple of months I was relieved to get the time jump.

I completely missed her, I blame the new hairstyle. Also, I missed the name Anne, how was that explained?

Shocked, but in a nice way. It's about time they gave Carol some kind of happiness.

Yes! I felt my toes curling wondering if he was going to become another meal for the walkers.

I don't mind this, I'm actually quite excited by how it will all unfold.

And about time too!!

3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,257
    Are we going to learn what the helicopter is all about? That story seems to have been hanging in the air for at least 3 seasons.

4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,257
    There were some intense scenes again this week, especially that in the pit.

I'm struggling with the size of the cast. It's reached a point where I can't tell who is part of the saviours and who or where some of the other characters are - well, I have no problem with the core characters.

The ending was exciting and yet I'm not too impressed if this is the way Rick goes out of the show.

5. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    It's a nod towards the very first episode of TWD, in which Rick fell from a horse as well and would have been killed by the approaching walker herd - if Glenn didn't come for the rescue.
    But now there's no Glenn anymore. So it's kind of coming full circle for Rick now ... :(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,257
    Ah.... I never clicked! :rolleyes:

7. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    Wow, what an epic episode that was yesterday! It had me on the edge of my seat several times! :bravo1: :10:
    S9E05 is easily on my Top5 of all TWD episodes so far!
    All those walkers felt SO scary and were such a serious threat all the time.
    Right until the last 5 minutes of the run they had me convinced that Rick exploded with that bridge! :eek: :no: :sad:
    But then Jadis came on and saw the burned remainings of walkers floating in that river and then ... at the riverbank .... R I C K! :eck::eck::eck:
    I SCREAMED at the TV screen! :D
    And Andrew Lincoln was teasing us all the time, that Rick Grimes might be done with the series, but he wasn't done with this part at all.
    I thought he meant that the experience will be always with him or he was talking about taking part in fan-conventions in future or such, but he really meant it that way, that Rick wasn't going to die! That was SO clever done and handeled, but without actually giving it away! :clap:
    And in "Talking Dead" they finally revealed, that Rick will get his very own TWD-Movies on AMC next year, which will reveal where the helicopter was taking him and Jadis/Anne and what happened with Rick between that moment and the huge timejump on TWD.
    What a great hour of TV that was, i NEVER thought that TWD could be SO exciting again after those mainly boring last 2 seasons.
    And now there's only 3 episodes left before midseason break! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,257
    I really wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this week's forward movie (based on the trailer at the end of last week's episode) but I did.

Not keen on Carol's look, it's like they've given her a Laurie Strode makeover.

The walkers are now talking to each other....??? I find that really bloody scary.

Please, please, please, ditch that friggin hat!!!

I have to wonder about Ezekiel, does he know he's got a feather stuck in his hair?

9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,257

Ah....

They're not talking, apparently, there are living people in the herds known as The Whisperers...

WTF??

10. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    Didn't like it either, that long wig just looks sooo fake on her and just made me giggle the whole time! :lol:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018 at 3:55 AM
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,513
    That's funny.

How do TWD-fans call themselves?
    Walkie-Talkies?

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,494
    Just in case you didn't know, that funny name is indeed the title of the 1 hour AMC talkshow that follows every new episode on sunday evenings. ;)
    But as of now, it SEEMS that the dead on the show do really start to "talk" ... or whisper. So they could indeed be called walkie-talkies :D

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)