Melrose Place Season 7 thoughts

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by JROG, Sep 20, 2016.

1. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Medals:
    The show is suddenly MUCH better. It's exciting and even funny at times. They need more excitement, though. They could do with a Brooke-like character right about now.

I wanna stab Billy, Sam and Jennifer. Multiple times. Always and forever. Ugh.

Jane returned and JB's acting feels like it's never been better.

We just found out that Alison has fallen off the wagon a few times and keeps losing jobs. Despite their past, Amanda keeps helping her get other ones. There's something so incredibly sad about this.

Lexi has begun to transform into... a bitch? A psycho? We'll find out!

NO SPOILERS please!!!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    a fancy apartment off the boulevard St. Michel
    Ratings:
    +20,160
    Medals:
    I mainly watched it for Lexi, and that was because she played the wicked Peyton on Savannah.
    No spoilers from me as I don't remember any of it.

• Like Like x 3
  3. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Medals:
    I just watched the fantastic "Buona sera, Mr. Campbell Part 2" episode, that largely takes place all in one night as Amanda tries to get away from her kidnapper and Coop has taken Lexi out on a boat with the intent of killing her. It's almost Season 3 thrilling stuff. Just as Peter "saves the day" and Taylor goes into labor (Rinna doing some fantastic comedy work), there's the great twist that Megan has hidden in the boat. Coop convinces her that he's only trying to scare Lexi, but Megan realizes Coop means business and teams up with Lexi to calm him down. And thus, stunningly, the two enemies' dynamic changes and they start to be more friendly with each other. It's also really fascinating what they did with Coop: He isn't a psycho but the show recognizes him as a leading man who is damaged -- too damaged to stay on the show. Taylor decides she wants to hold on to her baby, deliciously breaking Jane's heart.

The show writes out Billy, Jennifer, Taylor, Coop and Samantha in one episode. That's 5 characters all at once! How obnoxious, how very MELROSE. It's very exciting, especially since Jennifer and Samantha will not be missed, Coop and Taylor I could take or leave, and Shue hasn't bothered to not be annoying in ages. Billy (who's arguing with Michael the past couple of episodes has been fun) is a 7-year veteran on the show who barely gets a goodbye scene but it's at the airport, which screams 90s and screams MELROSE. And I was happy when, as Amanda returned to the apartment complex, she asked about Billy and said, "It'll be weird without him around." It really has been 7 years!

Now, question: With all these people gone, who are they going to put into, you know, stories? I can't wait to find out!

• Like Like x 2
  4. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Medals:
    There have been some seriously great moments recently, like that brilliantly written Peter/Kyle drinking scene or the fun stuff with Ryan and the spy at Amanda's agency. I'm not sure how I feel about Rena Sofer on the show but the twist of Amanda and Eve not only knowing each other but having a big secret, and that the journal page is not actually about Peter after all, was fantastic! It genuinely surprised me. Jane and Michael are incredibly fun together and the show is actually doing a central plotline (Matt's journal and the missing page). Also, Ryan and Megan are sweet, and I love Lexi and Amanda's weekly spats. Lexi is really great now and the idea to have her start an advertising agency to rival Amanda's was brilliant. How long before a catfight? Man, this season is going to make me miss MP so much...

The only things I would change is less Peter and I would add a couple more characters. 7/8 people main characters seems a little low for a soap, especially a fast-paced one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,889
    And that was of course the actual season 6 finale, a 2-hour episode just like every other year since season 2, but the last 7 episodes of season 6 got delayed till the summer of 1998. 'The World According to Matt' is the actual season 7 premiere as evident in the massive cast change and tonal shift. The idea was to 'go back to basics' and focus on a core 8 and their relationships, just like the early days of the series.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Actor/Writer
    Ratings:
    +134
    I hated the last 2 summer episodes. The end should have been BIG (as it was originally supposed to end season 6)... It wasn't. Maybe they re-wrote the ending/episode as the episodes were pushed to summer and felt they didn't need to end with something big (which they should have). Ending the last summer episode with an earthquake would have been PERFECT, instead of that stupid scene with Amanda and Peter on the phone. I mean, we were down to just a few cast members once those other 5 left. Megan and Lexi would have been at Burns Mancini when it happened. Maybe Michael and Peter go to work there that morning and Jane stops by as well, then we see Amanda and Kyle in the apartment. That how the summer episode should have ended. A big earthquake, even if it was just a minute long and divided between Burns Mancini and Amanda's apartment.

I also didn't like how they ended the show off in season 6 with Amanda deciding to marry Rory. They should have ended season 6 with that being part 1 and part 2 being the episode after, ending it with Kyle interrupting the wedding and Taylor about to kill herself. That would have made a better ending to season 6. Instead we got nothing.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,889
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I´ve just finished watching the whole series by first time...Right now I´m in the ICU of the Internet Memorial Hospital, connected to a life-support system...I´ll try to post more when I´m unplugged...so to say.

[​IMG]

She should´ve starred in it. Sure she´d have stolen it!​

• Like Like x 1
  8. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +698
    I know this thread is to specifically discuss Melrose Place's seventh season, but I just figured I would put my two cents in on the show in general. I ordered the first three seasons of Melrose Place off Amazon roughly two years ago (there were pretty cheap then). I watched the first twelve or thirteen episodes of the first season, but it's far too bland for me to get in to. I recollect one reviewer (on Amazon, I believe) referring to the first season of Melrose Place as three "mini seasons" in one. Whether that's true or not, well, I couldn't exactly say because I haven't finished it yet. I know everyone says it got better once Heather Locklear started her tenure as a permanent "special guest star", but I just haven't gotten to that point as of yet. Maybe I should just skip the episodes until she comes in?

9. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Actor/Writer
    Ratings:
    +134
    Season 1 was very bad overall. It's actually two seasons rolled into one. The episode Amanda shows up, "My New Partner", that's like a whole new season right there. From that point, and the last several episodes of that season, it's like a whole better show with Amanda and Kimberly causing drama.

However, when Jo shows up, I think that's where the show slowly started to change. Her ex-husband shows up and causes drama a few episodes. Before Jo, it wasn't that big of a deal. "House Of God" I would say, that's where the show gets a little different.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Medals:
    I wouldn't do that. You're only a couple of episodes away from the arrival of one of their most popular characters, soon after that the next popular character, and then Amanda. As soon as Jo arrived, I was more interested and it only got better from there.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,104
    Medals:
    The show gradually began to change with Alison's affair with Keith and Jane's pregnancy - I know people tend to point towards Amanda's arrival, but it all started re-adjusting before that. I think that's why Amanda's character ended up working - it was moving in that direction anyway, so why not get a boost in the ratings from Sammy Jo?

So, you can start noticing changes between eps 12-16 and then when Amanda arrives in episode 21 you can feel it kicking off.

• Like Like x 2
  12. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Medals:
    How brilliant was Michael and Jane's wedding episode? Apart from all the drama, it's hilarious -- the show is doing some really good, character-based humor. It also is very into honoring its history, as it even gives Jane's birth mother a quick mention to excuse why she isn't at the wedding. Ryan and Lexi are pure heat. Reminds me of the classic years of the show. And, of course, the utterly great moment where Michael and Megan are having sex on the roof and they collapse onto Amanda's bed. That scene was building and building and building. "Holy shit!" Amanda screams. Holy shit, indeed! That's one of the best moments of the show ever. I don't even remember when the last time was that the show shocked me like this.

13. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,104
    Medals:
    OK, I *LOVE* that episode - it's pure Melrose from the start! Jane and Michael getting married. Michael getting with Megan. The roof, literally, falling in! Thank you Carol. Thank you Peter Dunne. I won't give any credit to Charles Pratt because he was obviously drunk.