1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dallas Character Season 13 - Miss Ellie and James

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by MarkDallasAddict, Aug 29, 2019.

1. MarkDallasAddict

MarkDallasAddict Soap Chat Newbie EXP: 7 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Having now finished Season 13 (yet again), it occurred to me that I hadn’t seen much interaction between Miss Ellie and James.

Rewinding slightly, when Cally arrived as JR’s young bride from the sticks, there was a fair bit of interaction between Miss Ellie and Cally. She made JR accept her, she welcomed her, and made sure she felt at home. Good stuff.

But we then have James turn up as not only JR’s son, but also Jock’s grandson, yet I do not recall any touching moments between them. Could I have missed them? I would have thought Miss Ellie would have been curious, delighted, and made some reference to being the grandson of Jock.... but from memory there wasn’t anything like that. I may have missed it as there was so much craziness going on in Season 13 - have I missed it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,923
    I'm pretty sure they don't appear on screen together. Miss Ellie and Clayton are off doing the "What does this key open?" story when James arrives on the scene so they're not around for the big reveal about him being JR's son and then their paths don't really seem to cross after that. Clayton and James have a bit of interaction at Bobby's stag night near the end of the season, but that might be the first time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,147
    No, I don't think you missed it; I don't think it was there. When James arrived Ellie was with Clayton on a trip but when they returned, Ellie never said so much as hello to James. It's very out of character for a woman so obsessed with family that she considers an adult son of hers moving out into his own place to be "losing a son." The writers got sloppy in the last 6 years of it, and especially in the last 2 years. The acting by the remaining members of the original cast was always great, even in the last couple years, but the writing sucked.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,923
    I have to say it didn't seem jarring at the time that they never shared a scene; I only really noticed it in retrospect.

5. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +14,768
    I too found it odd and a mistake that there were no scenes between James Beaumont and Miss Ellie. It would have better cemented the character of James if he had some connecting scene with Miss Ellie. I think that could have been one of the several reasons people disliked the James Beaumont character as his connections with established characters were not well thought out. I barely remember him even having much time with Clayton. At least Michelle Stevens had a brief scene with Clayton.

A scene between Miss Ellie and James with her explaining Ewing history and warning him of the pitfalls the oil business on family would have been nice. A missed opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,124
    Let's face it, if you were Miss Ellie would you really have wanted to meet James?

Certainly not!

Swami

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,482
    I hadn't thought of it at all but, yes, in hindsight, it should have happened.

8. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Maybe Barbara didn’t want to legitimize that terrible actor by appearing on screen with him. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,765
    I would simply say that BBG was very lucky not to have had any scenes with James
    One advantage of a reduced filming schedule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,545
    I don't think he was ever going to be Dallas' greatest character, but I think you have a point there.
    The Ewing clan had started to thin out, therefore I think it's necessary to properly acknowledge the few Ewings who were still there, especially the new ones.
    And it doesn't even matter what kind of relationship Miss Ellie and James would have had.
    She could have hated him, tell him she'd never accept him (but, considering what kind of family they are, it would probably strengthen the connection, rather than weaken it).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,124
    Yes, especially shameful reducing Barbara's filming schedule while at the same time bringing in woeful additions to the cast.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 2