Season 12 Thoughts as I watch for the first Time (No Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by JingeBellsROG, Sep 23, 2018.

1. JingeBellsROG

JingeBellsROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Medals:
    I have been watching Season 12. First 5 episodes so far (so, up to "What If?"). Something feels off about the show. It's weirdly structured. A little uninspired. And, most sadly of all, a little boring. That being said, there's still good stuff, like Danny's sudden kidnapping/murder attempt of Gary and the climax of Karen's stalker storyline. Still, I do not see where this is going from here.

I have also finally seen the infamous "Pollyanna" speech scene. I find it hard to divorce myself from years of opinions I've read about it, ranging from very positive to very negative, but, overall, I liked it well enough, especially when she goes into what we can't do in the world anymore -- until she starts saying she wants to be a Pollyanna. There is something teeth-clenching about that, but Lee's performance here was very, very good (and much more controlled than her usual).

In the surprising instance we'll get some discussion going, please do not discuss anything beyond the episodes I've watched. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +489
    The trouble is that I can’t remember what happened in the first five episodes vs. the rest of the season. Perhaps it’ll be easier to have a discussion once you’ve finished the season.

3. JingeBellsROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Medals:
    I didn't think I would, but I've been really enjoying Anne's blackmail scheme storyline. Nick Schillace is a really fun guest character, and the two have a lot of chemistry.

Danny's death also being revealed to be basically an accident with Julie knowing but doing nothing to stop it was also satisfying.

There was this really lovely Mack/Paige scene in episode 8, where he told her she deserves better than Greg and that he wishes he were there when she was growing up to tell her how great she is.

On the other hand, Val bumped her head and is acting all sorts of crazy. Gary is finally beginning to suspect, but we don't have to. It's yet another Val-is-crazy story. Sigh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,321
    Medals:
    The Danny storyline was basically a remix of the Jill storyline. From what I recall a lot of this season felt like that - old plots in a new form.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,303
    Medals:
    I thought they were very different.
    Pierce Lawton however….

6. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,912
    Medals:
    Which in some ways was a rehash of the Ciji storyline. I understand that was their first big ratings success and they tried to emulate it several times - with diminishing returns.

7. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,288
    Medals:
    Murakame was a retread of Apolune/Wolfbridge, too. Methinks the Lechowicks were running out of ideas.

I guess we should be relieved Greg didn't pull out a gun and shoot Abby at the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,321
    Medals:
    You're right, especially with the structure of the story with flashbacks and such. It wasn't a hugely used device on the other main three primetime soaps if I remember, but Knots seemed to often do them. I guess that's why it feels a bit daytime-ish to me sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JingeBellsROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Medals:
    Some more thoughts:

I'm generally OK with Season 12, but WHY spend so much time on Anne's money trouble/deceptions only for them to very quickly deal with Paige finding out the truth? It wasn't meaty, it felt anticlimactic. But Anne going to Nick/Dimitri's hotel room and finding a body there was hilarious.

The Valentine's Day episode aired February 21st. A little off, just like this season.

I am REALLY loving the Jason storyline. That kid they cast as Jason is so pretty and just the right mixture of bad boy and tragic figure. And Dobson's been turning in some fantastic work.

Not sure how to feel about the Val story, really. I guess it's OK but, once more, the writers doing all they can to have Val not be Val. I will never understand why they didn't like her/get her.

Also, who would've thought, but I really enjoy Linda! I guess Greg has a type!

To think that a show 12 seasons and nearly 300 episodes into its run could pull off an episode like "An American Hero" is quite surprising. Everything from Paige imagining the various ways she should've reacted to Linda/Greg (which is one of those great slice-of-life Knots moments) to the playfully done hatred between Claudia and Anne was wonderful. That this soap opera would care about making a point about corporate life and sucking up (through Bob and Mort) is also appreciated. I am loving how the Steve story is developing. I can't tell if his teaming up with Linda is real or a plan. The ending with Jason's essay is a bit schmaltzy, but the actors have earned it. And, then, WHAM! they hit you with the card remembering Steve Shaw. [​IMG] I wonder how, if at all, the show will address this.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. JingeBellsROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Medals:
    Val's brain virus is over so suddenly, you have to wonder if they couldn't wait. Gary is told she's fine and that's it. I don't 100% believe it but it leads to (at least) two episodes of Val being herself and some wonderful Gary/Val moments, so I won't complain.

The Linda/Paige rivalry has developed into a great focal point for the series. Never a dull moment with those two. Also, in case I haven't said it, while I miss Lotus Point, the Sumner Group is such a great business setting by now, with tons of really fun side characters and stories.

Funny how both DALLAS and KNOTS did "trapped in.." scenarios for their 300th episodes. KNOTS' of course pretty much involves the entire cast and not the two they think are the most important. I squealed when they started playing the theme song as Gary and Val decided to just get married. My babies are finally back together! Yay!

• Like Like x 2
  11. JingeBellsROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Medals:
    The last three episodes, especially the finale, are quite something.

They must be kidding me with Gary and Kate, right? I actually see chemistry but they started this whole thing less than an episode after Gary and Val remarried!

Wherever I thought this Brian Johnston thing was going, it was not sex tapes and him disappearing and Linda setting up Paige to be suspected. Is this an indication that Linda's losing it? Haven't we seen this sort of thing with Jill before?

Honestly, Galveston being revealed as Steve's father and it turning out to mean almost nothing to Greg or Steve is such a waste of time. They even smiled. Also, I REALLY don't know how I feel about Claudia setting up Steve with a gun. Even if she didn't raise him, he is her son! Not even Abby Ewing would do something like this to her kids. It pushes Claudia into outright villain territory. And it seems like Steve may have been shot? It's a good cliffhanger (one of four!) but not sure how I feel about Claudia after this.

Perhaps the most resonating stuff was Nick abandoning Anne and Phillips' wonderful work as Anne has now run out of options, family, and friends. I don't necessarily buy her descent into homelessness (after all, wasn't she drawing a great salary as a member of the foundation?) but I love how her pride is just as much responsible as the circumstances for where she ends up. And that shot of Anne reflected on the glass in front of a ritzy dress she probably would've worn as she breaks down is brilliant.

Looks like we've said goodbye to Michael! Wow. 12 years. That's sad, but I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did.

The most bizarre stuff happens with Karen. One did get the sense of impending doom when Karen and Val drove off to go shopping, so you knew something was about to happen, but being shot with a paintball gun? Karen going all vigilante and getting into the car to chase the thugs? Their car getting hit by a truck? Jason turning out to be in the back seat?! Jesus. Why did it have to be paintball? Maybe one of Jason's friends was driving carelessly and almost hit Meg, Bobby, or Betsy. I would buy Karen going after them more if that were the case (but barely). Purely in shock-value terms, Karen discovering Jason in the back of the car is a great twist, but boy the way we got there... And just don't tell me they may kill off both Jason and Steve.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,303
    Medals:
    I agree. When I watched those last 3 (or maybe 4) episodes, all my frustration about season 12 disappeared.
    :lol:
    It was bizarre, but as you said at least we got the twist with Jason being one of the passengers.

Enjoy season 13. The first and second half are very different - a controversial season in terms of (un)popularity.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +936
    Claudia might be the most cold-blooded "villain" of all four soaps. I can't think of anyone who was as merciless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. JingeBellsROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Medals:
    Thanks! I'm staying open-minded. It's probably going to be me, myself & I in that thread, especially if I end up liking stuff in the first half, which I've heard people are NOT fans of :lol:

After the Season 12 ending, I would agree!