Saving peach Dynasty

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Michael Torrance, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,127
    You know the execs are waiting for this forum to give them ideas. So I will start the thread and others can add on.Here is what can save the show:
    1. Blake sees original Cristal in the shower. EVERYTHING was a dream since the first episode. Matthew is alive and well. Blaming his nightmare on a bad meal, he fires the chef, Sean Rowan.
    2. Fallon is taken upon the UFO. She agrees to act as an ambassador between the aliens at the request of their leader, Diana. Alexis tries to start an "out of this world" couture line, only to stumble upon the spelling of the word.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,428
    Medals:
    1. Recast the producers and writers.
    2. Male nudity usually enhances the drama (think of OZ)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,127
    Frankly,I had considered having as #3 "bring on Juan Pablo Di Pace, and have him walk around dressed and undressed for 42 minutes." Although I would not mind Maxwell Caulfield either, even at this age.

4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,428
    Medals:
    First priority: bring back Matthew. No explanation required.
    Do you want everything to be a dream, or just season 2? (Celia's coma?)

5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,035
    Medals:
    Obviously, the recasting thing is one of their quirky tributes to the original show. So there can be a mass shooting in a Buckhead nightclub killing much of the cast, Jason Colby therefore comes to town to bellow "from my cold, dead hands!" at an NRA rally while raising a shotgun in the air which has the effect of parting the Chattahoochee River and raising all the dead Carringtons as new recasts.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,127
    Well, I want to keep Liam. So maybe Blake can have this weird prescient thing like Pam had with
    Wes Parmalee.

7. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,127
    As I said in another thread, the only message they really got from the original is to focus on the hype surrounding the show.

Why did I miss the easiest fix for the show, the Zombie apocalypse?
    And finally Joan Collins can star. As can Evans.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,035
    Medals:
    Sounds good to me.

9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,720
    Nothing can save this reboot...I mean nothing. The writers/producers (plus outside influences) have set the tone. Any attempt at pulling a 360 on this version will only alienate those viewers who currently enjoy the Carrington shenanigans but will do nothing in reeling in old or new fans of Dynasty.

The ship has sailed..the die is cast...the horse has bolted....

...need I go on?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,704
    Medals:
    Get people who thinks "Peach Dynasty" needs to be saved on a buss.

Cut the brakes. Go on a mountain trip.

Oh no!!!!!

11. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,127
    buss
    Dictionary result for buss
    /bʌs/
    ARCHAIC•INFORMAL
    noun
    1. 1.
      a kiss.
    verb
    1. 1.
      kiss.
      "he bussed her on the cheek"

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +678
    1) Kill Jeff (I think they're planning to do this already).
    2) More Monica, I like her frenemy relationship with Fallon and she's much more appealing than her brother.
    3) Bring back Liam, I prefer him over Michael.
    4) Stop making Anders soft and cuddly, he was originally a badass - what happened?
    5) Give Sam something to do, his cluelessness and lack of direction are wearing thin.
    6) Give Kirby something to do, bring back the edge she had in her first couple of episodes.
    7) Continue to have Blake be a bastard (who truly loves Cristal and his family - he just has an effed up, controlling way of showing it).
    8) Recast Alexis, I don't care if she's a big name or a nobody. Find someone with charisma who can act. Get her a decent wardrobe; once she becomes "The Widow Colby" she should be able to afford something better than The Lady Bunny's hand-me-downs.
    9) Slow down: the pace sometimes is ridiculous. Twists that should play out over three episodes happen in one single episode, it's enough to give the viewer whiplash.
    10) Have Blake regain control of Carrington Atlantic, this dynasty needs a source of income and Blake should be bored without having a job to go to every day and no employees to bark orders at. The soccer team should be one of his side businesses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    Medals:
    The first thing I would do is instruct the script-writers to end the wink-wink/nudge-nudge tone of much of the dialogue. The series needs to play it "straight", do the scenes like this is real life and not the overly-witty, perfectly-timed zingers. There needs to be the entire spectrum of emotions onscreen--not just sarcasm, irritation, and occasional passion. There needs to be some anguish, pain, horror, desperation and yes, ecstasy and love mixed in. They need to heighten the emotional stakes and draw in those who want to see fully-developed characters, not cogs in a plotline machine.

Storywise, I think they would benefit from just sending Alexis off-canvas for as long as NS wants to be away, then bring her back to continue her reign. Have Alexis inherit a chunk of Jeff's fortune (by hook or by crook) and flee Atlanta. Perhaps Dominique has some major dirt on her, or maybe Cesil threatens to kill her for swindling them out of money he thinks he's entitled to. Whatever the case, she can return with some 'tweaks' made to the character later on (the whole "play it straight, not all jokey" thing will help her more than any other character). In the midst of Jeff's untimely passing, I'd promote Wakeema Hollis to series regular and see Monica's relationship with Dominique mirror that of Fallon and Alexis (ambitious, good-hearted daughter being irritated by a scheming, flighty mother).

Fallon and Blake plot to wrest control of Carrington-Atlantic from Liam's family, who are on the ropes legally and financially. The show is supposed to be about the fight over a multi-generational business, so they need to get the company back. It gives the family a common talking point and Blake just isn't as intimidating without power.

Steven ends up being thrown from a bridge during a fight in Paris. He lands on the deck of a passing bateau mouche, resulting in doctors having to do facial reconstruction surgery and placing him in a full-body cast with his jaw wired. Since his wallet/passport/etc. were nowhere to be found, the doctors have no idea what the 'before' shots would look like and take dramatic license in giving him a new face. Why was he in Paris rather than Paraguay? Steven has a spotty memory as he recovers. Ultimately it will be revealed he was tracking down RealAdam (not Hank), but it will be hinted at that RealAdam was the one who pushed Steven off the bridge, so maybe he doesn't want to be found.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,428
    Medals:
    Daniel Avery could make a grocery shopping list look like a soap (and yes, I'd watch all of it!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Here's what I would do:

1. Make this whole entire season be a horrible dream that OldCristal had while she was in a medically induced coma. Make Ana Brenda Contreras be the recast of the OldCristal and write her to be more sympathetic and likable. Keep Cristal and Blake apart for a while and make Blake earn his eventual reconciliation with her. That way with OldCristal still on the show Sammy Jo would still have a connection to the Carringtons.

2. No more romance stories for Fallon for a long while, if ever. Get rid of Michael and do not bring Liam back. No more stupid love triangles that just make Fallon out to be a ridiculous and pathetic woman that waffles between guys every other episode. Keep her focused on business because that's where she really shines at. And I also would not have her have any kids regardless of whoever she does end up with because she just simply isn't mother material. In fact let's do the bold thing and let her undergo a procedure so she won't ever be able to have any accidental kids. Let Steven be the one to have a family and romance. If Fallon really is supposed to be the "empowered, strong woman" who doesn't need a man, then let's her be that. No man and no kids. Just a lone woman conquering a man's world.

- Oh and give Fallon a new rival that's just as calculating, ruthless and bitchy as she is.

3. Make Alexis a more serious and less ridiculous character.

4. Get rid of Jeff and Monica altogether; they serve no purpose.

5. Bring in a new family that would pose a real threat to the Carringtons and aren't total caricatures like the Van Kirks or the Colbys.

6. Recast Steven asap.

7. Send Kirby back to Australia

7. This may be unpopular too but let Adam just stay dead. What kind of purpose would bringing him back alive really serve? I think having Adam really turn out dead would prove to be an interesting twist and maybe with that confirmation the Carringtons would finally be forced to moved on from their loss.

This is such a godawful mess that this season needs a total do-over. There is no salvaging it at this point.

16. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,720
    No thanks!

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,720
    Most of us agree with you on that Daniel. The problem is the current team running this reboot have their collective heads shoved so far up their own derriere they cannot see sunlight. They won't admit to their own failure. It's why I was surprised the series was green-lit for another season when clearly The CW had known Nicolette was leaving. I'm mean why bother at this point. The ratings are on public display though granted we don't see what numbers are viewing it on Netflix.

But would a complete rework at this point actually work? I'll bet my house on it the wink-wink/nudge-nudge tone will continue. The writers will not have learned any lessons. They're blind and deaf to any constructive criticism. If I was given the script to season 1 it wouldn't take long for an image to build in my head and the script would have went straight into the shredder. I still don't get the purpose of this reboot, in fact it shouldn't have happened. Original Dynasty casts a wide shadow over this mess.

It would have been better to invest in a prequel with a hefty budget, quality script and high production values. The team behind Downton Abbey understand what can be achieved and they don't have the luxury of 22 episodes.

18. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,720
    1. Kill Jeff? YES
    2. More Monica? YES. Give the actress some dialogue and good direction and I think there is something bubbling away with Monica.
    3. Bring back Liam? YES. But the character needs more shades.
    4. Stop making Anders soft and cuddly, he was originally a badass - what happened? Good question. I would have preferred an Anders sneaking around the corridors of the Carrington mansion. eavesdropping on conversations. An Anders who knew everyones sordid secrets and if he didn't he would find a way.
    5. Give Sam something to do, his cluelessness and lack of direction are wearing thin. Agreed. I liked the Sam from season 1 with his infatuation with food and interaction with Anders.
    6. Give Kirby something to do, bring back the edge she had in her first couple of episodes. Let her go. This Kirby has amounted to nothing. Probably due to script and actress.
    7. Continue to have Blake be a bastard (who truly loves Cristal and his family - he just has an effed up, controlling way of showing it). Agree. This version oddly enough reminds me of original Blake. He is meant to be this tycoon with undue influence but I'm waiting to see it. Sometimes I think Bo (the dog) has Blake by the leash.
    8. Recast Alexis, I don't care if she's a big name or a nobody. Find someone with charisma who can act. Get her a decent wardrobe; once she becomes "The Widow Colby" she should be able to afford something better than The Lady Bunny's hand-me-downs. Don't agree. I'm not one for recasts. I'm sure this would pain many fans of the character but move her on or kill her off in spectacular fashion and bring in Dominique or Sable. And I mean a character that is particularly nasty - not in a fun way.
    9. Slow down: the pace sometimes is ridiculous. Twists that should play out over three episodes happen in one single episode, it's enough to give the viewer whiplash. AGREED! They've been given 22 episodes for goodness sake. Slow walk me to a stunning end of season cliffhanger.
    10. Have Blake regain control of Carrington Atlantic, this dynasty needs a source of income and Blake should be bored without having a job to go to every day and no employees to bark orders at. The soccer team should be one of his side businesses. Absolutely. I'm puzzled how this reboot has managed to get away with it for this long. Everything centres around the house. I'm assuming because of budget restraints. But where is the business angle in this. Where is the modern story of Fallon battling it out in a man's world.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,428
    Medals:
    What makes you think that they are aware of this constructive criticism?

Writers shouldn't have to rely on the input of the viewers, if they don't see the problem then they shouldn't be writing this show (or any story) in the first place.
    You can't fix this show simply be changing a storyline or removing a certain character. These are only symptoms of the rot.

20. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,720
    I don't Willie however good producers (especially in today's social media climate) should sometimes listen carefully to feedback from viewers, especially if there is a collective of viewers criticizing a particular character or story. Another telling source of information the show you're producing is not grabbing people's attention is ratings. Numbers simply don't lie, despite producers attempts at putting a positive spin on it.

And if the writers are not listening to viewers can you explain why Nathalie Kelley was let go? Indications were focus groups were involved. I obviously don't have proof of that but it was clear Nathalie was let go because we didn't warm to her. And that was the writers fault.

• Agree Agree x 1