nuDynasty Episode Chat S2E20: New Lady In Town

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by Daniel Avery, May 10, 2019.

?

which one is the best smash hit?

Poll closed May 22, 2019.
  1. Message To My Girl by SPLIT ENZ

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Down Under by MEN AT WORK

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    The hour (I can't call it a show anymore) overall lacks anything resembling characters or plot. Liam is getting equally asinine and hollow the more he is around Fallon. Anders and Sam are already a stale item as a recurring joke of the week. On the other hand Jeff, for some reason, looked amazingly relatable this episode. Maybe his wooden arrogance gone and a vulnerability in the character past-illness helps the actor bring out the best. In fact, thanks also to Dominique, the Colbys were more interesting than the Carringtons.
    I know Dominique's arrival was nothing like the iconic mystery entrance of Dominique in Dynasty. But I don't find her quite as destroyed as Alexis. Her long con was much better for once, and she does have a past (and another whole family) to explore. The peach Alexis had nothing.
    Of course, peach Dynasty has played the game of lowering expectations so well, any episode without two Gillies (either as a Wizard of Oz fantasy or as fake Alexis) now appears passable.
    As for Adam, the hour does beg the question: is it that he is so smart, or Fallon so brain-impaired? Of course it could be both.
    Since the Carringtons overall left me cold, I was left paying attention to the visuals.
    The hour, despite what I am sure is a low budget, looks good. They have nice outside shots and even exterior shots of the Colby mansion. I go back to how easy it would have been for real Dynasty to avoid the claustrophobic show-in-a-cardboard-studio look after season 3.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    yes. It's neither character or plot driven. It's such a strange beast.
    The promo poster for season 3 should have the following tagline : "Lower you expectations. At least, don't keep them high"

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    Well, you know networks some decades ago would name a show around the star that was in it, such as "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," "The Bob Newhart Show" or "The Andy Griffith Show," so why not just rename it "The Elizabeth Gillies Goof Hour" and be done with it...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I also liked the Colbys this week. Their dinner scene was a rare family dynamic on this show that feels real and not like comic relief. And I'm a fan of Jeff's mansion - the outside shot: am I the only one who thinks the upper level of that building looks like the upper part of a yacht?

[​IMG]

I still like Liam and I don't think Adam Huber is a bad actor. Considering the material he's given to act he obviously knows in which kind of show he's acting while Culhane's Robert Christopher Reilly does expressions that would be better suited for Hamlet or any other tragic drama. (I don't mind the whole soccer story though.) Reilly is too earnest looking and handled similar campy material in Hit the Floor much more believable. This is why I treasure Alan Dale as Anders - a veteran who finds the balance between camp and drama seamlessly. And Grant Show is always underrated. Peach Blake isn't partly as interesting as Original Blake but I can't blame Show for it.

Right now Adam's Sam Underwood rocks it for me. Many shades of expressions, despite being the main villain now his part isn't written much better than others and it could look ludicrous but he's somehow charming in an unique way.

Weird: two weeks without Kirby and I actually miss her. I don't know why. But I still don't miss Cristal 1. I really don't get the ongoing comments who miss the character or think the show would be better with her. No it's always the writing! I think US shows should embrace the idea to have writers been responsible for a few episodes in a row instead of teams where every week someone else is writing an episode. Somehow this reflects the tone of a series.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,225
    Medals:
    I really appreciated him in the episodes when Fallon was trying to win him back.
    The Paris episode was awesome, but I think it's difficult to maintain that level of suspense for a long time. And it's not like every ODynasty episode was a winner.
    Either way, he hasn't disappointed me yet. Let's hope they're not going to redeem him.
    The brother vs sister feud seems refreshing after all those girl fights.
    Me too! It surprised me.
    Agreed. I find him the most quotable character.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,637
    Medals:
    Isolating Sam and Anders on the plane for those scenes was a chance for us to gain some insight into Anders's character ("I like helping people..."), though I felt kind of cheated that we received no similar insight into Sam. Sam's life this year has been one catastrophe after the other, what with Aunt Celia dying horribly, getting and losing Little Blake, the circumstances surrounding Steven's departure, followed by the events of Paris and their divorce...and yet he keeps up this outer shell of vapid superficiality and seems perfectly happy with his situation. Once out of the mansion and around someone he feels he can confide in, he ought to unload. Nobody should be that happy. And if he wants to keep his unhappiness and/or heartbreak a secret from the rest of the world, who better to vent to than Anders, the best secret-keeper in town?

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Ferdnand Colby

Ferdnand Colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I think Sam is suffering from amnesia, or a brain tumor like Krystle had in season 9. Otherwise, he's a jerk. An empty shell jerk.

Rafael de la Fuente is a good actor, I'm pretty sure he could have a good scene showing sadness, crying, pain, et cetera, apart from being rolling eyes and wearing Instagram clothes.

I know this is supposed to be a Dynasty for millennials, but I think people in Gossip Girl cried, like a lot. That's the closer reference to teen soaps for millennials I remember now. In fact, young people drama, crazier as hell if possible, is good for ratings, I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    Medals:
    I would've at least added a scene with her and Culhane to expand on their romance/relationship and give her a purpose in the future as he betrays Blake and in extent Fallon, rather than keeping her at a stand still.

9. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Before Anders disposed Mack's body in the lake he was the moral compass of the show. Now his daughter is the least corrupt of the cast who appear in the title credits. That's probably the reason I miss her. She has some innocence no one else has there in the Carrington mansion and the actress is actually endearing.

I wonder about the ever-happy Sam too. A nervous breakdown could be a story for him - healed by going to church and falling in love with a priest who' still hiding in the closet... Yes, otherwise the character would be an empty shell - not someone Steven really would've loved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,247
    Medals:
    I feel sick.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JeffUSA

JeffUSA Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I'm not surprised, but Dominique's arrival was a complete letdown from the moment she threw her arms in the air and proclaimed, "Mama's home" or whatever she said. It felt like a repeat of the absurd entrance of the Alexis character. And I completely agree with her character being a rehash of Nicollette Sheridan's version of Alexis. Disgrace!

Why has Adam become a cartoon over the course of 3-4 episodes? He seemed so scary/psycho/dark (almost too much) just a few episodes ago and now he's a joke.
    Finally, the scene with Fallon and Liam trying to drug Adam was ridiculous. Dynasty isn't supposed to be some madcap comedy. It's so hard to watch, and the only reason I keep doing so is because it's called Dynasty.

I could rant about more, but it's all been said here before.

• Agree Agree x 8
  12. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    Maybe it's the new paint in my office, but I don't see more than incidental similarities. I find Dominique more layered. Certainly in accessories. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,225
    Medals:
    She fooled me like she fooled the Colbys!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,637
    Medals:
    I think it's too soon to tell. She's only been in a single episode so far, and I don't know much about the next two episodes (the final two of the season :eek:), much less any plans for her in season three.

15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,225
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    Francesca?

17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,225
    Medals:
    And her dirty laughter in the opening credit was a hidden clue! But what did you expect from Alexis' cousin?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,902
    Generally with 2 episodes to go we'd have a clear indication where the cliffhanger is heading and the ensuing excitement. Not Peach Dynasty. At this point the Carrington and Colby families could be killed off and I wouldn't miss any of them.

19. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    Medals:
    Hmm, I never saw him as that. From the pilot episode it was made very clear that he's Blake's right hand, for better or worse. I fully expect him to have done more heinous things in his days to aid the Carringtons (in two generations - he was with Tom before that!), hence him being paid so well for his loyalty. He's one character I could see having a lot of skeletons in his closet.

• Agree Agree x 3