nuDynasty Episode Chat S2E19: This Illness of Mine

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by Daniel Avery, May 2, 2019.

?

What do you want for Jeff?

Poll closed May 16, 2019.
  1. more and better storylines!

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. get rid of him!

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. no opinion. I'm just glad that the poll is back!

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    You're absolutely right. And the more I think about it, I think she meant "on television", and not "on "Dynasty" :(

And the more I think about it, it's obvious that NS won't return :

TVLINE | Did you consider bringing in a new actress, or was there just no time?
    PATRICK | We didn’t want to compromise the integrity of the casting process. We have an amazing cast and wanted to add someone of their caliber to that role. We wanted to take our time with that. This is a momentary storyline to fill the gap.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,918
    I still question if it was absolutely necessary to create such a shambolic plot when it could have served Peach Dynasty better if Alexis was placed in an induced coma, either until the cliffhanger episode of Season 2 or sometime during Season 3. I can only conclude having Liz Gillies play the dual role was to create buzz but judging by the latest CW (yes I know we don't have access to Netflix numbers) those ratings have plummeted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    I agree, it wasn't necessary. It was beyond stupid. The Fallexis farce damaged an already average show. Fallexis surgery recovery was not even possible, from a technical standpoint. But in a such short time, it was even worst. Yeah, it took what, 2 episodes ? They could simply have Alexis under bandages till season 3. No Fallexis, and time to recast properly. There was no gap to fill.

Again, what were they thinking ??

And don't get me started on the make up and prosthesis : Fallexis' face was creepy. A mix between an alien, a robot, a doll and Gillies with Nicollette's blond wig.

The writers are good with references to original Dynasty. They did their research. But yet, they don't get it.
    Or I don't get NuDynasty. But if I don't, I'm quite sure I am not alone.

And I'am not stuck in the past. I love many new TV shows. Stranger Things (especially season 1), Sabrina (I was surprised to really like this teenage Netflix show), The Haunting of Hill House (huge fan here), The Walking Dead (not new, but I love season 9, especially after 2 horrible and dull season 7 & 8), Black Mirror, Vikings (big fan). And I really loved Empire season 1 to 4 (I have mixed feelings on season 5)

And it's weird when I think about it, but Empire felt much more like Original Dynasty than NuDynasty... The characters, the plots, even the music (not the songs, but the music) have a Dynasty vibe.

Cookie = Alexis (Coming back to her family life, after being gone for 17 years, claiming what she thinks is hers. A very strong character)
    Lucious = season 1 Blake (a business man whose not afraid to do dark things)
    Hakeem = Fallon (a son who has mommy issues, self centered, rejecting his mother, devoted to his father)
    Andre = Adam/Claudia (an unbalanced lawyer who is jealous of his brothers)
    Jamal = Steven (rejected by his father because he's gay. Trying to win his love, and then trying to fight him)

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,650
    Medals:
    Other than the shock factor, the only reason I can come up with for them to have Alexis's 'temporary face' story was so she could warn Fallon about Adam's true nature once she had recovered enough to speak about it. Had they simply had her languish in a coma, no one would have been the wiser about what happened. They seem ready to throw the switch on exposing Adam's misdeeds (or at least some of them), and I guess this was a good 'parting shot' as Alexis leaves town (and I guess gets out of harm's way), leaving Fallon to continue the digging.

I assume the producers saw Liz Gillies doing an impersonation of Nicollette's Alexis on set during rehearsals and whatnot, since they seem to have a lot of fun and frivolity on set. They were so entertained (or at least intrigued) that they came up with a way to incorporate it into the show, albeit temporarily since it was a financial drain. Definitely a reach, but hey...they're having fun spending other people's money, so why not?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    I thought the same : Gillies doing impersonation of Nicollette surely inspired the creative team with that awful decision.

They could have kept Amy Sutherland in bandages as Alexis, not in a coma, and voice over with Gillies. This way burned Alexis could warn Fallon how dangerous Adam is, that she needs to not confront him directly. And to keep it as a secret. Fallon would have been horrified, and would take the decision to send her mother away, far from Adam, in the best private clinics USA (or Europe) can provide, to have her face reconstruction. Fallon would pay the bill (how can a broke Alexis can travel to europe, pay the best surgeons ??) and would start foiling Adam's scheming.

But hey, why take the logical road when you can have fun with dumb and "wink-wink" writing ?

I have - what I think are - good ideas for Alexis return in season 3. But I won't tell. I won't give ideas to the writers on a plate. That's their job, not mine.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,206
    Medals:
    Agreed, they've taken too many of our ideas frome here already, without giving any credit or making good use of them in the long run in any way.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,650
    Medals:
    Not that I believe they are stealing ideas from us, but...

If that were the case, I would welcome the chance to offer some ideas that might help get the show on track. I mean, when they are left to their own devices, we end up with things like Glamping in Paraguay and Sam's ill-fated career as a social-media influencer. Rather than just complaining about problems, I like to be part of solving them.

8. thomaswak

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    You're are very generous Daniel Avery (and I am not ironic) but I think your ideas would be wasted. Like Mathhew Blaisdel said, they wouldn't make good use of them, I'm afraid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ferdnand Colby

Ferdnand Colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +70
    It's true. Among all the good ideas we have discussed, they could end choosing the - very ridiculous- spinoff I suggested, The Flores, haha...

• Funny Funny x 1