nuDynasty Episode Chat S2E16: Miserably Ungrateful Men

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by Daniel Avery, Mar 29, 2019.

?

Favourite quote?

Poll closed Apr 14, 2019.
  1. Adam to Fallon: Carringtons don't do red tape

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Dale to Fallon: You have nothing to show for yourself but a string of failures and scandals

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Fallon to Alexis: If anyone knows how to weasel their way out of a tricky situation, it's you

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Alexis to Jeff: I've been better

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  5. Blake to public: Ladies and gentlemen...Adam Carrington!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I have fought my entire life for the respect and privilige that you have given him in just 48 hrs

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Kirby: Yeah, I am

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +63
    HBO's Succession does that but it's not considered a soap despite being about a dysfunctional American global-media family. Wikipedia calls Succession a "satirical comedy-drama", could be a description for the better episodes of nuDynasty.

2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,115
    Medals:
    If you were closer I'd smack you in the mouth. Go to your room and watch Models Inc on a loop for forever!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,673
    Medals:
    With the recent revelations about Cristal's family being part of, or head of, a Mexican cartel I can see Dynasty's season 3 going very much the same way Dallas TNT season 3 went.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,115
    Medals:
    Down the crapper.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,738
    Medals:
    I'm sure they're going to be involved with the season finale cliffhanger.
    A soccer team massacre, or something like that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,115
    Medals:
    Didn't TNT Dallas also have a plot line where they were buying a soccer team or stadium or something. Or did they just film a scene in an empty stadium. I seem to remember that.

7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    nuDYNASTY is easier to take --- because it's a reimagining far removed from the original show, and yet more faithful in a weird way because the writers have familiarized themselves with the original and are quirkily re-working those old plots and events just for fun.

nuDALLAS, on the otherhand, was much more painful for the opposite reasons -- they had the same cast as the original show, yet appeared to have little regard or interest in it... they did the occasional, rare think right, but it seemed to be an accident.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,467
    Medals:
    I spoke earlier in the season about what a mistake it was for the writers to ditch Carrington-Atlantic. Having a multi-generational company to fight over gives those fights a lot more "teeth," since most viewers can relate to a family wanting to honor their ancestors' hard work by keeping the family company strong and growing. The ease with which the family sold off the company (no scenes of Fallon feeling like a failure, nothing of Blake feeling he let his father down, no pangs of nostalgia whatsoever) didn't feel right. I thought at the time of the sale that it was just a plot point, that they would somehow regain control of their "dynasty" within a few months. Instead, Blake gets into something totally different, and Fallon has been adrift. Adam ought to be secretly angry at them for letting the company slip through their fingers, since his stated plan to "take what is his" seems like a lot less to take than it would have been a year ago at this time.

I think perhaps the writers simply lost interest in the energy business as a background. It would stand to reason/logic (shut up!) that even if Blake lost C-A to the Van Kirks, he would have gone out and tried to start another energy-centered business since...well, that's the only work he's ever been involved with. His attitude ought to have been "Well, we lost the family business...so I'm going to build another one just like it with my bare hands, and I want Fallon to be by my side while we do it." Trade one dynasty for a new one, and take the viewer along for the ride as he does it. Right now he's just enjoying being rich, playing around with a soccer franchise...but not building anything to leave the family when he kicks the bucket (the way his father did). For all the faults they found in OG Cristal, at least she inspired Blake's ambition and encouraged him to wheel-and-deal to his heart's content.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,738
    Medals:
    Indeed. There's only one way to be rich and that's getting richer. They've been sitting on their lazy asses doing nothing, and it certainly doesn't help when a person like Sammy Jo occupies the mansion.

p.s. is it Carrington-Atlantic or -Atlanta?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,673
    Medals:
    Yes, it was definitely a mistake for them to lose the company. I also thought it would be temporary. So what are we left with? A group of rich people living in a big house none of whom have any real purpose or function.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,467
    Medals:
    It's Atlantic, I just didn't have the energy (ha!) to correct you. :rolleyes:

upload_2019-4-1_17-16-51.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,738
    Medals:
    At least Anders is always working very hard, and Kirby is now a millenial content consultant something. There's also a doctor/vet now, the family and the dog are in good hands.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    Sweet Jesus! Don't let Adam anywhere near Bo. I wouldn't put it past the creative types to have Adam boil Bo...as in Fatal Attraction.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    That's what I'm struggling with Richard. At least original Dynasty had the blend of business and family. This version likes to think it's creating something special and for a brief moment beginning with the Paris episode I thought we're onto something here. The last episode proves those behind the scenes have no concept how to write good soap or at least string a good yarn.

• Like Like x 3