nuDynasty Episode Chat S2E16: Miserably Ungrateful Men

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by Daniel Avery, Mar 29, 2019.

?

Favourite quote?

Poll closed Apr 14, 2019.
  1. Adam to Fallon: Carringtons don't do red tape

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Dale to Fallon: You have nothing to show for yourself but a string of failures and scandals

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Fallon to Alexis: If anyone knows how to weasel their way out of a tricky situation, it's you

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Alexis to Jeff: I've been better

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  5. Blake to public: Ladies and gentlemen...Adam Carrington!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I have fought my entire life for the respect and privilige that you have given him in just 48 hrs

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Kirby: Yeah, I am

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,674
    Medals:
    Just when I thought they couldn't make Alexis any more of a loser than they did with the suicide thing, now they have nobody giving a shit about what happened to her and Blake and Fallon even planning a party outside her room! It's not even funny, it's actually in quite bad taste. And then to top it all off they literally make her into a clown, in that turban with the balloons. If the new Alexis isn't gonna somehow become a total badass then they might as well just shoot her and put her out of her misery.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    One random observation I had was about Kirby. This scene:

only re-enforced my notion that the actress should get a pixie cut or something, because she looks better with short hair.

Plus, she and Michael do have cute chemistry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,133
    Medals:
    But he is not THAT stupid ;)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,140
    Medals:
    It just feels like it's not really an ongoing story arc even though it is. It's like they get distracted or have a check list of certain things they need to put in an episode. It doesn't feel like a story focusing on a group of characters like the best of the primetime soaps. It feels more like story bubbles as someone said of later Knots Landing @Daniel Avery . I think it's distracting and takes away from the pace.
    But why would you put that out in the universe? That's all I need, two Fallon's one as Alexis, catfighting with each other! I know they are going to do this now. It's a perfect vehicle for Liz Gillies acting chops. She might even do a little number in the middle of it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    Besides, didn't they already have two Fallon's back in the "Wizard of Oz" episode? Let's not go back there, shall we?

6. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,140
    Medals:
    NO! No Dynasty woman should ever cut her hair. Has Leslie taught you nothing!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    ...Yes. Leslie did teach me nothing. She taught everyone nothing. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,133
    Medals:
    Then let ME teach you this: NO! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,140
    Medals:
    She taught me to not be the company whore.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    So she basically taught you nothing. :D You learned that on your own.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Medals:
    If Alexis 2.0 ends up looking like someone from Adam's past, then having a storyline version of Krystle/Rita would logically follow. "Real" Alexis would end up in the attic, while "FakeAlexis", controlled by Adam, would inflict all sorts of havoc while being more like what the viewers want RealAlexis to be like. Hence my suggestion of Anne Heche in the role would make sense, since she played good twin/bad twin on Another World so well that they had her play "bad twin pretending to be good twin" several times. Of course in this case she would be playing something more like "bumbling bimbo twin/smart, sinister twin".

It also occurred to me that Adam ought not be appearing at splashy parties and having articles written about him. If Steven is still unsure of whether he hallucinated the whole George thing (even after that last visit with him at the sanitarium), he won't be after seeing Adam with the family in photos and film footage. He would certainly call his sister and/or husband to warn them. That is, if he is not being kept sedated or something equally mean.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,807
    It could explain why the writers gave Adam a background in medicine rather than an attorney.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,171
    Medals:
    I'm assuming Alexis will be pushed through a balcony eventually.

14. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,807
    At this point Dynasty has nothing to lose since it has no integrity as a contemporary adult drama. They (Producers/Writers) may as well throw everything at it, no matter how La La Land it is. If they can conjure up Fallon's the Wizard of Oz episode than anything is possible.

Who is to say Alexis (Nicolette) hasn't been wheeled off to some far flung facility. Perhaps she is going to share the same room as Steven in Paris. We then have Alexis (as yet named) wheeled back into the hospital room after her surgery. We have the unveiling of new Alexis who will be exactly what we have all desired. When real Alexis (Nicolette) is ready to reprise her role she returns and proclaims, "Traffic was a bitch!"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +634
    I know this is a show so whatever in real life but it's embarrassing watching Fallon playing the victimised female when in fact criticism thrown at her in this episode was completely valid.

On a different note, does no one care about Steven's well being? Besides Fallon and Sam's initial visit why has no one gone to visit him or offered to have him transferred to Atlanta?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,807
    I do. Pity the writers and producers don't. James Mackay really improved in the recent Paris episode. I am however puzzled why Anders of all people doesn't even speak of him. It's my opinion this version of Dynasty is being delivered as stand-alone episodes. How else do we explain the appearance of Steven one minute and not the next. Same goes for Monica. I don't believe she has appeared in the last few episodes but surely that is about to change with the imminent arrival of Dominique.

Dynasty is such a bizarre concept.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,807
    I feel for you Richard. Your Dynasty trailers typify what could be. I know they are set in the past but I sense you have a real fondness for the character of Alexis. Seeing how the writers have butchered the character in this version is insulting. It's not even remotely funny. How is it possible the producers cannot see the travesty unfolding before their eyes?

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. xab

xab Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Flames were kind enough not to touch Alexis neck. How nice they are.

Amy Sutherland stepping into Alexis stilettos was the best thing of the episode ( I mean the actress of course, not the writing). I really felt it was Nicolette Sheridan under the bandages. Something in the way she moved and glanced at people was definitely Alexis. She was credible. Why not giving her the part? Obviously she's not a big name, but she deserves to be given the chance.

Of course this episode led this crap back to square one: it's Saturday Night Live spoof again. Compared to that thing the way Pam's exit was handled in Dallas was a masterpiece. Pure Hitchcock.

After last week shocker I expected something a little bit more realistic than a bad sunburn. Maybe, at least, a sterile room? At least... ( Even the worst daytime soap would be more grounded...)
    And by the way, next time I'm burned, I want the same painkillers.

And she's going under plastic surgery so soon? A few hours ( days?) after her little journey into the mantelpiece??

What's in store now? I guess I know what they are plotting: the picture Adam showed to the surgeon was Marge Simpson's. I wouldn't be that stunned if a crossover with The Simpsons was on its way...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,140
    Medals:
    It really does feel like this is stand alone episodes and not an ongoing story. You get all caught up in something and then poof! Next week it's dropped and we get fashion montages, wise cracks and comedy skits. Then they go back into a story for a bit the next week then, wham! We're in a ski resort making Another Teen movie or some shit.
    To me it feels like they either didn't have a strong pre-set bible for the show or they have scrapped it about 6 times already and started over. That just does not work.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,773
    Medals:
    Surprise, surprise - but I actually enjoyed this episode.

The torture aftermath was completely bonkers and I hate to say it but I couldn't help but laughing out loud when Alexis wrote "I'VE BEEN BETTER".
    Maybe a bit of a setback was to be expected after 3 exhilararting episodes, and maybe the humour is used to counterbalance the extreme horror of the previous episode.
    After all, it's Dynasty, not Nip/Tuck.

Another rather typical soap-y side-effect of this comical approach is to soften Adam's evilness just enough to let him get away with it.
    "I'm going to teach you to be a better mom".
    Adam is the first NuDynasty character that strikes the right balance between tongue in cheek fun and pure wickedness. They've tried the same thing with other characters (including Alexis herself) but this time I feel it really works.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Alexis is going to be grateful for having a younger face - and so the episode ends with yet another twist that gets the fans speculating. Very well done!

The mini-time jump (Alexis in the hospital after the fire "accident") is strangely similar to the season 2 time jump (Alexis in the hospital after the stable house fire).
    And Celia's demise was treated in a similar, comical fashion. Maybe we should keep this mind next time something big happens.
    Besides, it's not like O.Dynasty always wanted to deal with the consequences of their exciting cliffhangers.
    Come to think of it, only season 2 (Alexis' entrance) and season 9 (the beginning of Krystle's exit) were the real game changers.
    But that's what I liked about it. Fallon continues to be a PITA but the show acknowledges it.
    Compare that to O.Alexis, the Queen of EuroSleaze who was always hailed as being an intelligent, beautiful business icon. That fakeness came from the writers themselves because that's how they wanted her to be in order to promote their merchandise.

I'm not sure if I agree with the comments about misplaced feminism because I don't see why the same rules shouldn't apply to priviliged white women, and her reputation as an eager business woman was established in the very first episode - hence the catfight when Blake gave the position at CA to Celia.
    I didn't see how any of this was out of character.

It was not as exciting as the previous episode but I wouldn't call this a boring filler episode. The hot gay gangster was a nice surprise and they continued the storyline with the reporter and the Atlantix S-s-s-soccer team.

Tip for Kirby: keep up the dark eye shadow, it gives her a "cool chick" look. But I'd love to see her become a bit raunchier, like Emma Ryland in DALLAS.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1