nuDynasty Episode Chat S2E15: Motherly Overprotectiveness

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty Episode Threads' started by Daniel Avery, Mar 22, 2019.

?

Did you enjoy Alexis' fate?

Poll closed Apr 7, 2019.
  1. Yes, it's awesome!

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. No, it's very distasteful

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Don't hate it, but it's too gruesome for my taste

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. ABrown

ABrown Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I seriously think I need psychological counseling after watching that ending. I can't get that out of my head.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,154
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

I see…possibilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,154
    Medals:
    I can't get this song out of my head

I demand a French Carringtons spin-off.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,154
    Medals:
    Should they have done a Fallon/Sammy Jo shopping montage, featuring this song?

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,154
    Medals:
    The way Cristal handled Michael made me think there's a bit of old-skool "Alexis" in her. Or maybe more "Sable" because it's all in the name of family.
    But what was she thinking when she asked her gangster family for help? That there would be NO string attached at all?
    Obviously this cartel-esque business is building up to the season finale climax - is something going to happen in the new stadium? OMG!

Steven told Sammy Jo that their relationship was over but we all know that Sammy Jo isn't going anywhere. He and Fallon are the main players.
    Wouldn't it be easier to adopt him?

Adam strikes me as an Adam Carrington/Joshua Rush hybrid (he even looks like a mini-Baldwin).
    Alexis may not be the bitch-diva many of us had hoped for, but she really is a despicable person.
    Is it hot enough for you now, bitch?

Is NuDynasty upgrading too much? Using difficult words like "gentrification" - I had to look it up!

Anders: At the risk of sounding like a trashy talkshow host...
    Ha-ha.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,241
    Medals:
    Nope, just a bit of photoshop fun. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    Medals:

[​IMG]
    I love this. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  8. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,272
    And just like that, a show that was trying to find a reason for existing, truly becomes a Dynasty reboot.

This episode is the first episode that answers the question for me of "why do a reboot?" Although it does have some problems, they are not insurmountable for me to enjoy it. And here is what I did enjoy:

Adam's arc in the original was front and center, but it was actually not fully explored. The family romance is such a powerful theme, Freud wrote whole essays about it, but the little urchin who turns out to be the prince unfolds too quickly and is then forgotten in Dynasty's season 3 because Adam needs to become a sidekick for Alexis. Instead, Adam's plot here is given its full tragic dimensions--it becomes the catalyst that turns someone who up until that point was seemingly normal (a doctor, and he does care for his mother) and brings out his pathology in the form of revenge. He kills the woman who deprived him of his rich life and a real family and also burns the mother who chose her plans for quick gain over her own son, all the while with Blake gaining a son after losing Steven to Anders and Adam gaining acceptance from the father he always wished he had. I don't know who wrote this episode (and the last two) but clearly they had stayed away from whatever the usual peach Dynasty writers are smoking. Is Adam a psychopath? The answer can be yes or no according to everyone's beliefs, but his passion for revenge and (in his mind) justice is as mythical as, say Medea. Whatever people say of her, the same must be said of him.

Kirby's absence is telling in that in a episode with no fluff, she does not fit. Frankly, neither did Michael, but I guess the writers wanted to find a way to justify keeping the actor. The new Cristal is fast becoming a fascinating character (but Mark's death still feels like a mistake), while Fallon is now an even weaker link than Alexis: she is not the dotted upon daughter, or the beloved sister, or even the miracle-whip CEO of previous episodes. She is really out of place when characters like Cristal and Adam have such weightier arcs. Her interaction with Adam in the kiss scene showed how either the character or the actress or the combination of both are now way out of their depth away from the shallow puddle of the earlier episodes’ waters.

As for Alexis… As a poster said (sorry I forgot who), if she had become a real person, I perhaps would have cared for her fate. But she had been so ruined as a character, burning her and reviving her with a new face was like a required course-correction for the show. Alexis was brought on limping from the start, and she kept becoming more and more handicapped as a character. Conversely, Adam was brought in like a story arc bomb whose shock waves keep reverberating with every new scene. It’s like the show could not do anything right with Sheridan’s Alexis, and somehow they are doing everything right with Adam. I am actually looking forward to the next episode.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,272
    More than the plot being engrossing, I was shocked I actually laughed at a couple of jokes from Fallon to Sam, first about her knowing he was planning on getting and naming a dog after the fake one and then calling him "Gaybraham Lincoln."

• Like Like x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,154
    Medals:
    Because the jokes aren't right left and centre. Because the situation isn't ridiculous. Because the humour is relevant to the situation.
    I laughed when she said she wanted to put Adam in a motel and then maybe move him to the Ritz...

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,146
    For a reboot which likes to pride itself on paying homage to the original it makes me wonder why they chose such a character trait for this reimagined Alexis. Nicolette's version was so far removed from Dame Joan's version she could have joined Dex over the balcony.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    Medals:
    I just hope they don't feel the need to do that with either Fallon or Kirby. I know you said you don't think Kirby fits, but I hope not only that she sticks around, but also that they revisit the old depiction of her as a psycho, making her more or less a worthy match for Adam. :D

13. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,146
    It's just my gut feeling but I don't believe this character will be around much longer. The actress and character hasn't lived up to expectations of what I was hoping for, but again, this possibly comes down to casting, writing and direction. Her no show on the last episode was rather telling.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,146
    Though gruesome in nature I came away from the scene neither feeling empathy or joy in what happened to Alexis. If only this was a solid reboot - from the beginning - I might have felt that shock or at least something for Alexis. As it is I'm curious in what the writers have installed for the character. Imagine a scene like this occuring in original Dynasty. That would have packed a powerful punch whether you believed Alexis deserved it or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    Medals:
    Perhaps. But I don't want to give up hope just yet. :lol:

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  16. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,272
    But supposedly Alexis had made that up to have her shipped away to protect her secret.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    Medals:
    Apparently, you don't remember Steven's account of Kirby's character back in season one: she stole from Blake, terrorized Alexis (the jury can be out on that one), cut off the heads of Fallon's barbies and threw them into the fireplace, and would suffocate lizards and hide them under Fallon's pillow with the note, "You're next."

I wanna see THAT Kirby team up with Adam! :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,486
    Medals:
    But what that Kirby did just sounds like some stuff Alexis would do to get rid of Kirby.

19. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Roberto should become a regular:pray:why do I have a feeling that he will hook up with Sam in the next episode? Ayyyyyyyyy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    Medals:
    Except what Alexis did was set fire to Fallon's room. Kirby took care of everything else. Though I still like the idea of Kirby being a pyromaniac. :lol:

• Like Like x 1